Rhodes Must Fall - Oxford protesters target statue of colonialist

webfact

4 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

I enquired about local protests last night, there is one in Chelmsford on Saturday 1pm.

That will be lightweight. Get yourself to London with the Fall Guy. 

Ps if you go to Chelmsford there is an excellent Thai food place in the open market 

Edited by Kadilo

1 minute ago, transam said:

Really, well you are now in my "Looney" brigade list....????

There is nothing else to do, bored 555

1 minute ago, Kadilo said:

That will be lightweight. Get yourself to London with the Fall Guy. 

The fall guy TR or Guy's hospital?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

The people united, will never be defeated. This is what democracy looks like.

That isnt quite how democracy works .

Lots of people whom all agree with each other , congregating  and all shouting the same thing doesnt quantify as being "democracy"?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Same here, flithy bronze statues with pidgeon poo over them. No one patriotic cared about them until one was taken down, hypocrites. Anyone who is thinking of defending these statures is just looking for a fight against the protesters.

These statues are coming down and no one is going to stop it.

Wait until the idiots try to remove Horatio Nelson from Trafalgar Square. Might please the French though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sukhumvitneon said:

More SJW nonsense that is completely out of control

Are they going to replace the statue with some rainbow colored phallus?

I don't know. Remind me, what was used to replace the statues of Saddam Hussein that were torn down by the US in Iraq?

1 minute ago, CorpusChristie said:

That isnt quite how democracy works .

Lots of people whom all agree with each other , congregating  and all shouting the same thing doesnt quantify as being "democracy"?

Looks like it worked ok in Bristol, and as a result another one bit the dust. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrfill said:

I don't know. Remind me, what was used to replace the statues of Saddam Hussein that were torn down by the US in Iraq?

They were just left empty, empty plinths .

But if they need any statues for the empty plinths, we got a few going spare that they can have 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

You won’t see TR, he won’t get that far. 

Thomas “Fall” Guy. 

No TR will be detained by the police. There is a statue of Guy at the hospital, could well be the next public toppling.

https://www.itv.com/news/london/2020-06-10/guy-s-hospital-considers-taking-down-controversial-statue-of-businessman-who-profited-from-slavery/

Edited by tribalfusion001

Charles Dickens is also on the list.

Too many racist caricatures in his books.

Just saw a Sky news video of a black guy in the UK protesting "Why do I have to, when I go to Brixton library, see a bust of this man?".  So funny. The terrible impositions on some people, they have to look at busts. What a terrible suffering some go through.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

...perhaps, but i think before then they'll be something else coming along to occupy minds. Remember Dominic Cummings? He was all the rage a few weeks ago! ????

But no one was protesting about that, this time it's personal for both sides. Summer of discontent.

3 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Charles Dickens is also on the list.

Too many racist caricatures in his books.

Just saw a Sky news video of a black guy in the UK protesting "Why do I have to, when I go to Brixton library, see a bust of this man?".  So funny. The terrible impositions on some people, they have to look at busts. What a terrible suffering some go through.

Pattaya has made a reputation out of it. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, sukhumvitneon said:

More SJW nonsense that is completely out of control

Are they going to replace the statue with some rainbow colored phallus?

Most likely. And will probably be in honour of some trans woman.

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Haha 1

Rhodes Scholarships. . .  have allowed more than 8,000 students from countries around the world to study at Oxford 

Assumedly these will be be given the elbow along with Cecil, as no black student will want to benefit, however indirectly, from the fruits of imperialism and slavery.

Edited by Krataiboy

3 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Rhodes Scholarships. . .  have allowed more than 8,000 students from countries around the world to study at Oxford 

Assumedly these will be be given the elbow along with Cecil, as no black student will want to benefit, however indirectly, from the fruits of imperialism and slavery.

What are the qualifying criteria?

These statues symbolise a part of our mutial history, right or wrong, but.. our mutual history.

By erasing this, in just a few generations we all will not be remembered anymore to what then is now so much detested.

We also do not remove the statues of the Roman Emperors, nor Charlemagne, despite all have the blood of many on their hands.

In these cases I always remember the little maritime museum in Dover, with a conserved boat out of the Stone Age plus.. a little wooden sculpture from maybe 3000 before Chr, with 3 sailors, of which the cocks were made a LOT smaller during the Victorian Era...

20 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

These statues symbolise a part of our mutial history, right or wrong, but.. our mutual history.

By erasing this, in just a few generations we all will not be remembered anymore to what then is now so much detested.

We also do not remove the statues of the Roman Emperors, nor Charlemagne, despite all have the blood of many on their hands.

In these cases I always remember the little maritime museum in Dover, with a conserved boat out of the Stone Age plus.. a little wooden sculpture from maybe 3000 before Chr, with 3 sailors, of which the cocks were made a LOT smaller during the Victorian Era...

Roman and Greek stone/marble statues are tourist attractions and preserved in museums mostly. The statues being pulled down are not tourist attractions and generally dirty.

Who cares about someone from the 1800s, it's not even recent history. The statue of Bobby Moore outside Wembley is more relevant.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Logosone said:

So we can look forward to them imposing their prejudices and views on everyone by removing the memory of great people of the past and replacing it with "George Floyd Square" "Rosa Luxemburg Lane" and "Antifa Close".

I can actually envisage George Floyd having stuff named after him, or a statue going up. I heard a clip of Reverend Al praising him to the rooftops at the memorial. Praising this violent career criminal and heavy drug user who once held a gun to a woman's stomach while burgling her home. Is this what Reverend Al wants his 'people' to aspire to I wonder ????‍♂️

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pilotman said:

how about replacing them with some truly inspirational people, who have not only done good, but have inspired others to do good: Leonard Cheshire, Douglas Bader, Charles 11, William Wilberforce of course, William Williams, Lord Shaftesbury, Lord Hunt, Edmund Hillary, Tensing Norgay, Cook, Adams, Etc.  Of course, if it was up to me I would replace them all with statues of Margaret Thatcher, hundreds, no thousands of them, in every nook and cranny of the UK.  

Edmund Hillary, the New Zealander who took all of the credit for being the first man to reach the summit of Everest. His Sherpa guide Tenzing was nothing but a side note. I see the PC brigade have caught up and he now gets a surname. 

James Cook, on that list, is quite debatable too. He dispossessed, for the Crown, Australia's indigenous people from their land. Does that make him a hero? His first encounter with the Maoris resulted in a fight that killed some... of course they weren't important because they were "natives". No doubt the Aboriginals and Maoris would have been quite content had Cook never come to visit.

All this colonization was not for the benefit of the original inhabitants and in most cases destroyed their lives.

Edited by JensenZ

7 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I agree and honestly, I couldn't care less about the statues. What I find disturbing is the knee-jerk reaction by those in power. Already Sadiq Khan is implementing a program to remove statues of people who have chequered histories without proper consultation. It's his dictororial attitude that I find offensive.

That's a complete misrepresentation of what is actualy happening, why don't you research it properly and come back with a sensible (i.e. more factual) contribution. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2