Bangkok Bank unveils mobile banking app for ‘new normal’

I just took a look at the rating/comments on Google Play sorted by "Most Recent" and  pretty much all are 1 to 3 star rating (many 1 stars) but it's hard to tell if they are talking the old or new app.  Also a good many comments along the lines of "where is the new app, I thought I was downloading the new app, etc"....just comments of disappointment in still seeing the old app after the bank's announcement of the new app.  But the bank did say it would be rolled out in batches, not to everyone at once.

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm wondering if it will still get rolled out if using non Thai Playstore, I'm set up as UK, sometimes it means I can't install certain apps. Currently the app says Jan 2020 on Playstore

I have both US and Thailand registered google accts loaded on my phones.  That way I get automatically get apps that may have region restrictions like if the app was for distribution to folks with a Thailand registered google acct.   Apps like the AIS Play TV app is region restricted...restricted to Thailand/SE Asia.  I created a Thailand registered google acct specially for that purpose...and to have another another gmail email address.

But to the best of my knowledge the Bangkok Bank app is not region restricted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

That's what my phone said.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Strange....if you have the new app (which you said you did) that would mean the app date you see in Google Play should be something dated "way after 22 Jan 2020"....like probably something around May/Jun 2020 based on  ianguygil's description of how Bangkok Bank is controlling the distro via  Google Play.   

Or maybe Google Play still updates your app to the new version but still displays a 22 Jan 2020 old version date when a person checks....the same date someone still on the old version sees.   I say that based on the way ianguygil described how the new app can be distributed via Play by a quota each day and for some reason until the new app is allowed to be downloaded by anyone at anytime then the old app will still show on Google Play as the most current.   

Oh well...I'll wait until it hits my Android phones...hopefully soon....Bangkok Bank's mbanking app definitely needed modernization.

Think I can shed some light on the date and version info.

I still haven’t seen the update on “Google Play” for my phone. However today I did get the update through “Huawei AppGallery”.

After the update, Google Play still reports the old version, 2.16.0 from Jan 22,2020.

The Huawei AppGallery reports the correct updated version, 3.2.1, as it should though.

Since BritManToo also has a Huawei phone, he most likely got the update, like me, from Huawei and not Google.Therefore the version and update info he’s seeing in Google Play, will still report the old/previous installed version and date.

8 minutes ago, MTH said:

Think I can shed some light on the date and version info.

I still haven’t seen the update on “Google Play” for my phone. However today I did get the update through “Huawei AppGallery”.

After the update, Google Play still reports the old version, 2.16.0 from Jan 22,2020.

The Huawei AppGallery reports the correct updated version, 3.2.1, as it should though.

Since BritManToo also has a Huawei phone, he most likely got the update, like me, from Huawei and not Google.Therefore the version and update info he’s seeing in Google Play, will still report the old/previous installed version and date.

Could be.  I know with Huawei phones some of the newer ones supposedly don't have Google Play due to the US technology sanctions against Huawei.  But I thought that only impacted some of Huawei's most recent phones....like new models over the last six months or so.  I got the impression BritManToo's Huawei had Google Play.  But maybe he has both Google Play and Huawei Appgallery updating his phone.   The magic of smartphones.

35 minutes ago, Pib said:

Could be.  I know with Huawei phones some of the newer ones supposedly don't have Google Play due to the US technology sanctions against Huawei.  But I thought that only impacted some of Huawei's most recent phones....like new models over the last six months or so.  I got the impression BritManToo's Huawei had Google Play.  But maybe he has both Google Play and Huawei Appgallery updating his phone.   The magic of smartphones.

I do have an older Huawei. 2 years old, the P20 Pro, and I have both Google Play and Huawei AppGallery.

It’s my understanding that the AppGallery was launched internationally about 2 years ago, before US sanctions against Huawei. So I would think that most Huawei phones from that era, and newer ones will have both stores.

I get most of my updates from Google Play. However sometimes Huawei AppGallery has an update available earlier than Google Play, and I might then download it there, like I did today with the Bangkok Bank app.

If you do have both stores set to Auto-Update, you will not even know where the update came from unless you compare the app in both stores. So yes, the magic of smartphones. 

Btw, I noticed that the new version # should be 3.1.2, and not as I previously stated 3.2.1, and the date is 6/16/20.

My Android phone updated to the new app about an hour ago/18 June.  Version 3.1.2 dated 14 Jun 2020 per Google Play.  The only difference I can see between the old and new app is the new app added fingerprint logon capability and the menus/background have a new layout/look.   Seems to be no more than a new paint job on the old car but with one upgrade to allow fingerprint logon.  Somewhat of a let down as I was expecting more. 

Since a utility bill came in yesterday I pulled it out and did a QR scan of the bill to pay it like I always do....payment went fine like always.  Kinda like driving the old car with the new paint job.

• Like 1

Feature/bug I found is if you have a payment favorite, like I use for Lazada, you can't use it a second time because you're not allowed to change the ref 1 nor ref 2 numbers. You're only allowed to change the amount. Lazada issues a new number for the ref 1 number for every order.

Not happy.

The key factor in making "all" Thai bank mbanking and ibanking apps a "let down" is restrictive Thai banking policies.  The mbanking/ibanking apps are simply mirroring these restrictive policies.

Updated as well on iOS, but I think I found a bug already

Trying to transfer money between my own BBL accounts.

Selected the account, filled in the amount, and on transferring it only transferred 1/1000 of it.

So typing in 1000 THB it only transfers 1 THB, 1500 THB transfers 1,5 THB etc etc