Chicken coops / runs

djayz

At the end of the rainy season I plan on having a chicken coop/run built. I just want to keep a few dozen chickens for fresh eggs, meat and sell off a few excess chicks from time to time. Nothing large scale or commercial. As there is a medium sized pond near the site where I want to build, I might add a few ducks too. 

I was wondering if any of you guys would mind sharing photos of your coops/runs just to give me some ideas and, if it's not too much trouble for you, the dimensions and how many chickens it holds. 

As the land is down the road from us and uninhabited, I want to use concrete/cement, blocks, steel, wire fencing, etc. to minimize stray dogs and villagers pilfering my ladies. 

Much appreciate any photos or advice you might share. 

great timing for this. i have 4 birds who are going on 4 months old and am just about to build my coop. nothing fancy maybe just a 10 foot long run area with a cage jacked up off the ground. all surrounded by mesh wiring. 

make sure you put some wiring under the ground on the outside around the entire coop. go out about 8 to 12 inches and bury the wire mesh a few inches under the dirt. animals will give up real quick. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 7:43 PM, mr mr said:

great timing for this. i have 4 birds who are going on 4 months old and am just about to build my coop. nothing fancy maybe just a 10 foot long run area with a cage jacked up off the ground. all surrounded by mesh wiring. 

make sure you put some wiring under the ground on the outside around the entire coop. go out about 8 to 12 inches and bury the wire mesh a few inches under the dirt. animals will give up real quick. 

Thanks MrMr. I think mine'll be 15m wide and about 25m long, incl. run. I'll probably divide it into 3 long sections of 5m width, as I'd like to keep at least 3 breeds of chickens, probably Austrolorp, Sussex and Rhode Island Red.