Passport renewal.

Hope someone can help as C19 looks like has caused me more than just catching it.

I applied for a new UK passport in March with an agent.

Went to Sukhothai immigration June 2nd to apply for 1 year marriage extension.

They wouldn't process anything because my passport runs out in November.

Told IO I had applied for new passport but it was held up because of C19.

They said I have to July 31st but if my new passport doesn't come by then I have a problem.

I hope the passport turns up but if it doesn't there will only be 4 months on my old passport.

Does anyone know what I will need to do or suggest what to do until my new passport arrives.

Obviously my 16 year old Non 'O' visa will not be valid anymore.

First thing I'd check is that payment had been taken in the UK for the new passport, and when, as that at least gives you the knowledge that something is in motion.  There have been recent reports here of passports being issued out of VFS Bangkok since they re-opened.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

They wouldn't process anything because my passport runs out in November.

They should of accepted the application. There is no rule that states a minimum amount of passport validity remaining for doing the application. The only rule is that your extension would only be issued to the day your passport expires.

Have you checked with the passport office at Trendy about your passport. It may be there waiting for you to pick it up.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

They should of accepted the application. There is no rule that states a minimum amount of passport validity remaining for doing the application. The only rule is that your extension would only be issued to the day your passport expires.

Have you checked with the passport office at Trendy about your passport. It may be there waiting for you to pick it up.

Thanks for replies.

I have checked to see if UK HMPO have taken fee from my UK bank visa card as "Upnotover" has suggested and no visa payment as yet. 

I will check again on Mon/Tues, my agent who is getting my passport said it's possible the new passport will arrive before July 31st but no guarantee. 

I thought IO would give us extension to November but the first thing IO said was your passport runs out in Nov.

The only rule I was aware of is your passport should have 18 months validity when you apply for a Non 'O' visa but I've had mine for 16 years.  

IO then checked and just stamped all the application paper and said take them home and sign them and come back when your new passport comes.

Tried to explain because of C19 my UK passport could take longer than July 31st but as usual the IO just dismissed it.

Hope passport does turn up but because of C19 when checking UK HMPO site they say passport could take 10 weeks or more hence my post.

Anyhow near deathrow time ???? I will go Sukhothai IO and see what they decide, if no joy I thought I'd go to head IO CM office and see why Sukhothai IO won't extend to November if there's no passport time rule as you say.

19 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The only rule I was aware of is your passport should have 18 months validity when you apply for a Non 'O' visa but I've had mine for 16 years.  

That is only to apply for a multiple entry non-o vsia at a embassy or consulate.  That does not apply when applying for an extension of stay.

You could apply for an extension with only 2 months remaining on a passport and it would to be issued to the day your passport expires.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

That is only to apply for a multiple entry non-o vsia at a embassy or consulate.  That does not apply when applying for an extension of stay.

You could apply for an extension with only 2 months remaining on a passport and it would to be issued to the day your passport expires.

OK thanks so worse way is Sukhothai IO will give me an extension until November, at least that makes me less concerned.

I dreaded the thought of having to go and get a new Non 'O'.

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I have checked to see if UK HMPO have taken fee from my UK bank visa card as "Upnotover" has suggested and no visa payment as yet. 

That is nearly  3 months. That is extreme even for HMPO and Corvid 19.

I would check with your agent when they 'actually' applied.

1 hour ago, pontious said:

That is nearly  3 months. That is extreme even for HMPO and Corvid 19.

I would check with your agent when they 'actually' applied.

Yeah thanks I think the agent has been dragging there feet because of shut down of UK HMPO,  it took them  2 months to tell me my photos were no good.

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah thanks I think the agent has been dragging there feet because of shut down of UK HMPO,  it took them  2 months to tell me my photos were no good.

Have you got your passport back from the agent after they applied.?

If not I would be suspicious they did not make the deadline before VFS closed on 1 April.

13 minutes ago, pontious said:

Have you got your passport back from the agent after they applied.?

If not I would be suspicious they did not make the deadline before VFS closed on 1 April.

Yeah they got my passport on 30th March so I guess they didn't make. it. 

I'm a bit disappointed with it all but C19 wasn't there fault or mine.  

Hope they can get my new passport before July 31st .

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Hope they can get my new passport before July 31st .

I would say there is no chance of that. Has your agent taken your application to VFS yet.  Have they given your passport back to you yet.

As @Ubonjoe said there is no reason your IO should not give you an extension to November.

31 minutes ago, pontious said:

I would say there is no chance of that. Has your agent taken your application to VFS yet.  Have they given your passport back to you yet.

As @Ubonjoe said there is no reason your IO should not give you an extension to November.

Well thanks for your concern I really do appreciate it.

I will telephone UK HMPO because you can pay extra for them to expedite my renewable passport in certain circumstances and see if that can help. 

The agent keeps your old passport so they can collect the new one.

The agent sent my passport back to me so I could go Sukhothai immigration with it to do my 1 year extension but as in my previous posts immigration wouldn't do anything because of the July 31st deadline set up.

I guess immigration think I will get my new passport before then.

If I don't get my new passport the agent will send my old passport back to me again so I can get an extension as Ubonjoe says to stay until November that's how I understand it. 

8 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I will telephone UK HMPO because you can pay extra for them to expedite my renewable passport in certain circumstances and see if that can help. 

No Premium and Fast Track services are  available to anyone at the moment due to Corvid 19. Warning on the Passport Site.

All you can do is ask your agent what day they applied for you. Once you have that date allow up to one month for payment to show. Info from other treads on the same subject.

8 hours ago, pontious said:

No Premium and Fast Track services are  available to anyone at the moment due to Corvid 19. Warning on the Passport Site.

All you can do is ask your agent what day they applied for you. Once you have that date allow up to one month for payment to show. Info from other treads on the same subject.

Thanks again but l'm not gonna worry anymore if Ubonjoe says I can get extension to November on my present passport if my new doesn't turn up I will just do that. 

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Thanks again but l'm not gonna worry anymore if Ubonjoe says I can get extension to November on my present passport if my new doesn't turn up I will just do that. 

Rather than short-change yourself on a new "annual" extension that will only be valid for 4 months, why not apply for a 60-day extension for the purpose of visiting your wife instead (assuming, of course, that you haven't already been given one of these since obtaining the non-O visa on which your current extensions are based)?

Hopefully your new passport will show up by the end of September and you will then be able to apply for a fresh one-year extension which will be valid for a full 12 months!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, OJAS said:

Rather than short-change yourself on a new "annual" extension that will only be valid for 4 months, why not apply for a 60-day extension for the purpose of visiting your wife instead (assuming, of course, that you haven't already been given one of these since obtaining the non-O visa on which your current extensions are based)?

Hopefully your new passport will show up by the end of September and you will then be able to apply for a fresh one-year extension which will be valid for a full 12 months!

Not sure what mean I live in Thailand.

I believe Ubonjoe has supplied the ans for me to the extension rules.

As I have already posted if my new passport doesn't turn up before July 31st I will get an extension to November.

Surely a new passport can't take 8 months.