Hua Hin to Bangkok by Rail?

McArie

Have you travelled recently to Bangkok from Huahin by train? Any experience you may wish to share, such as best time (train service) to use, cost (advance vs. on-the-counter ticket), punctuality, comfort, anything really...

I am aware (could hear the noise ???? ) that the rail is operational again, but I have read some posts on TV that there is apparently ban for foreign visitors to travel domestically on the gov't run buses ????...so my concern is if this applies on the rail travel as well (presumably the train operators are state owned)...

There are also 2 trains daily from Thonburi railway station at 7:30 and 13:05. The long 4 and half hour journey in 3rd class costs only  42THB. Did it a couple of times. Can be very crowded on weekends or holidays. 

Edited by Fatman666
  • Thanks 1

I was in Hua Hin last week and wanted to experience the train journey on my return.

We went to the Train Station and they said that until further notice, there are no trains between HH and BKK, because of COVID.

We used the bus from Ekamai in both directions, which was good (200 THB per person each way). Right to the centre of town in HH.

• Thanks 1

I wanted to experience the old train, so travelled last Wednesday from BKK Thonburi to Nong Hin, visiting a friend.

Passed Hua Hin and Prachuap Khiri Khan. Train 255.

57 Baht the trip, no issues with Farangs boarding the train. Will make my way back to BKK in 2 days.

The journey took just over 7 hours. Supposed to take 6 hours. Enjoyed the first few hours, then I fell asleep. Now I enjoy travelling slow.

• Thanks 2

I tried it yesterday morning..the two going to BKK were an hour late arriving to HH, which I was aware of, so I got there at 0650, went to the window..only second class Tix, 800 THB...almost thought it was a scam....the 11:45 to Thonburi had third class...took the minibus, which was doing all kinds of <deleted> because there were only five passengers..took over four hours to Southern..160 THB with the 20 off from the old ticket.  All of the trains were excessively late, so they did me a favor, but it was enough to make me consider Jomtien next time, even though I live by the river.

Edited by moontang
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Elkski said:

get a 1st class sleeper amd take your  lady friend.  Did this  to hau hin and once to si sa ket.   great  time.  

A sleeper from BKK to Hua Hin? The distance is 144km and it takes about 2 hours 44 minutes by car.