Got Screwed?!?

Lithobid

SO being a first time motorcycle owner, I did minimal research, and ended up getting screwed big time. I payed almost double what the bike is worth. I understand that I'm just as much at fault as the guy who screwed me, I could have done more research, and looked into things a bit more, talked to more people ect..

My point, I"d like to prevent other people from making the same mistake as I did. I don't want to shout this guy's name out right away, but it is a store front buisness in Phuket, and I thought hey, if it's a store and not some back alley shady deal, it's gotta be a real deal. NO Way!

How can I get some retrobution, and possilby help black list this guy from other farrang so they don't end up like me.

Any Idea's boys?

SO being a first time motorcycle owner, I did minimal research, and ended up getting screwed big time. I payed almost double what the bike is worth. I understand that I'm just as much at fault as the guy who screwed me, I could have done more research, and looked into things a bit more, talked to more people ect..

My point, I"d like to prevent other people from making the same mistake as I did. I don't want to shout this guy's name out right away, but it is a store front buisness in Phuket, and I thought hey, if it's a store and not some back alley shady deal, it's gotta be a real deal. NO Way!

How can I get some retrobution, and possilby help black list this guy from other farrang so they don't end up like me.

Any Idea's boys?

What did you buy and how much did you pay for it.

want retribution? If a brand name bike, write or call the Thai headquarters for the make of bike giving the dealer name and all the details with proof, ie copy of sales receipt if grossly over charged, etc.

Good luck.

Hate to say this but TIT! Look before you leap and comparison shop next time around for any major purchase. Dont be afraid to ask for discount or haggle over price.

Any Idea's boys?

What did you buy and how much did you pay for it.

OP bought a Honda Rebel and wanted to change to a Steed.

Any Idea's boys?

in thailand,as elsewhere,it seems very much a case of "let the buyer beware", but i was told by a thai lawyer that there are rules about overcharging and you could stand a chance if you saw the right lawyer. thai law seems to be full of grey areas, and if i understood correctly, anybody who feels cheated has recourse to the law. dont even try laying a charge againct a thai at a police station- you will get zero co -operation.- and this includes tourist police. if the amount you lost warrants it, and you see the right lawyer you may have a chance. otherwise just go around there one night and cut his balls off.

oh, by the way ,negotiate the fee with the lawyer first, or you he will work you over,too!

viva "amazing thailand"

frikkie

Why is it the sellers fault that the OP paid a stupid asking price.. I see nothing wrong what so ever with any seller be they Thai or farang having a sucker price.. If I thought I could find the sucker I would also..

If you want to pay a price way over the market value and dont even comparison shop or verify approx what your spending thats not the sellers job to correct you.

Perhaps you bought a used bike. I'm terrible at doing that. Both Triumphs, the bikes I bought in Nicaragua and Mexico - big mistakes, because I'm not a mechanic, and didn't know a mechanic. And in developing countries, prior owners are infamous for not maintaining their vehicles.

If you had bought a new bike, you'd have a warranty, and it's unlikely that even a fairly careful shopper would pay 2,000 baht more than the going price. Buying a bike in Thailand without a real factory warranty is....a risk I don't care to take.

It doesnt sound like the guy sold him a bad bike.. It was just a bad deal.. He paid WAY over the odds for a Rebel and then comes here asking about a second hand steed at 250k !!! From the same seller no less..

Of course I guess the seller will only give him fair market value on the Rebel and hes now realizing that he overpaid.. I mean I sympathise a little with his frustrations but its hardly a sellers job to tell you your paying him too much.

Experience is what helps us avoid mistakes.

Mistakes are what give us experience.

I don't know who first wrote that, but I plagiarize from experience; I have certainly made mistakes, too many to list and many I don't care to 'fess up to.

If you are young, learn from the experience and do some research before making a another big purchase.

If you are old; haven't you learned anything in life?

I remember buying a Rebel a few years ago ( about 5 I think ) it was like new, mint, but it smoked like hel_l out of the right hand cylinder, thick blue smoke, I said how much do you want ? the reply was 50,000 I said how much to repair it properly with rebore and new pistons/rings, valves and rubbers, they said 20,000.

The outcome was 40,000 for the bike and 15,000 for the repair, I thought Im getting rolled on this 15,000 but the price of the bike is good, I made sure I was there most of the time as they rebuilt it and saw the new pistons ect come out the box and get fitted.

The outcome. For the first week the bike was smokeless, second week smoking rather a lot, third week smoking as much as a girl from the I'll suck you bar ! after that it was the batterie followed soon after by the camshaft, it was then I found out that my model Rebel sufferd from camshaft problems, in the end I sold it to a farang who was prepared to take it on for 50,000 bht,

Final thought is I loved the bike, great riding position, great shape, beautiful sound, but it had done its time, like me it was getting old, and in Thailand like most choppers it had been repaired many times, would I buy another one ? I would jump at it if I could get a brand new one, secondhand, no chance.

Edited by undercover

Rebel second hand circa 140k I think I read in another thread.. Wanted to PX it in on a Steed for 250k..

Yes, it was a Rebel 250 for 140k, with ""7,00km?"" on the OD. Lol, the last time I took it in for repair, I noticed the battery was low, and the altinator wasn't doing it's job right. Got the old altenator out and get this LOL, It was hand made! All the copper wiring was hand wound around the spokes or studs or whatever they are called LOL TIT, and I'm learning. I'd just like to protect some other guy from making the same mistake, but I don't want to go around slandering the shop where I bought the bike. What's the right course of action to warn other potential buyers..

Right now, it's true that same dealer has a Honda Steed 400 ""7000k?""" and he want's 250K for it. I don't want the bike, I I've fallen in love with my bike, and have accepted the losses. But what's the proper channel to warn others about this sort of thing.

For me personally, it's 90% my fault, I didn't talk to anyone, ask anyone, see different shops, compare prices, I saw a bike said how much, did some $%^#%$ math and said OK. And I got ripped, and deservedly so. But NOW I'd like to take a more proactive approach, and do something to protect others from this particular shop.

Lithobid :o

Final thought is I loved the bike, great riding position, great shape, beautiful sound, but it had done its time, like me it was getting old, and in Thailand like most choppers it had been repaired many times, would I buy another one ? I would jump at it if I could get a brand new one, secondhand, no chance.

I agree completely, though my bike hasn't bit the dust yet. but love the shape and ride, perfect for town.

Something a Thai friend is learning: Imported bikes are very difficult/expensive to get parts for. However a Thai bike (like the Honda NSR150) are very cheap to get parts for cause there are lots of them about and Thais need cheap parts. Some examples from my Yamaha VRR-150 (same as a TZR/TZM and number of other models): speedo/rpm cable: 50B, left hand switch cluster: 160B, front or rear brake pads: 50B. I also have an NSR150 I am renovating; some parts for this: ignition switch: 150B, choke cable: 50B, battery: 300B, flasher unit: 30B.

Thus imported bikes are going to have lots of work arounds to prevent the purchase of expensive parts!

PS: Thais get ripped off and also pay over the odds too.