iPad battery falling off a cliff

Joinaman

Hi there , wondering if someone can give me some advice

Have an iPad air2m around 4 years old and until a week ago, perfect.

But its suddenly decided to lose its power, so quickly, can watch it count down till it shuts down. Get less than 45 minutes on full charge.

Can i just get a new battery fitted ? I'm in Nakhon Phanom, so definitely no access to Apple shops, 

Was thinking of trying some of the local Phone stands in the shopping centers,. If battery replacement is not possible, then would need new iPad

Is Lazada any good to buy from ? and still be able to register it? Around 13.000 baht

Or do i pay much more and go direct to Apple store for delivery, but would take much longer,around 18,000 baht

Am happy with the Air2, plus have bought expensive case for it only 3 months ago,

thanks

Apple can renew the battery, but will charge an arm and a leg.

You might try one of the authorised resellers. Might be a little cheaper. Or maybe even some corner shop that advertises repairs, but that one might end up more problems than what it is worth.

What with the processor, screen and other upgrades over the last four years, you might find it time to bite the bullet and buy a new one. Only you can decide if that is an option

Another idea.

I took an iPad to Apple's official store in IconSiam jst after it opened a couple of years ago for the same problem. They said for the cost of repair, it wouldn't be much more to buy a refurbished one of same model. They had one in stock, so that is what I did. Was like new, and came with a warrantee.

But that is the only official Apple store in Thailand.

Edited by phetphet

Apple batteries have a tendency to fail quite suddenly. For a replacement, I recommend Dr. Smartphone in BKK (Asoke)

(18/8 Fico Building, 5th floor, Unit 504 21 ถนนสุขุมวิท Sukhumvit 21 (Asoke) Rd, Khlong Toei Nuea, Watthana, Bangkok 10110)

Professional, fast no-nonsense service while you wait.

Did you try to reset it? I once had a problem after an IOS update and my iphone didn't charge anymore. After I reset it the problem was gone. It hasn't be the battery. Try to reset it first. 

1. Press and hold the top button and either volume button on your iPad.
  2. Continue holding them as the screen turns off.
  3. Continue holding them until you see the Apple logo.
  4. Release the buttons.

8 hours ago, bestie said:

Did you try to reset it? I once had a problem after an IOS update and my iphone didn't charge anymore. After I reset it the problem was gone. It hasn't be the battery. Try to reset it first. 

1. Press and hold the top button and either volume button on your iPad.
  2. Continue holding them as the screen turns off.
  3. Continue holding them until you see the Apple logo.
  4. Release the buttons.

Yup, hard reset, didn't work , but thanks anyway

8 hours ago, LogicThai said:

Apple batteries have a tendency to fail quite suddenly. For a replacement, I recommend Dr. Smartphone in BKK (Asoke)

(18/8 Fico Building, 5th floor, Unit 504 21 ถนนสุขุมวิท Sukhumvit 21 (Asoke) Rd, Khlong Toei Nuea, Watthana, Bangkok 10110)

Professional, fast no-nonsense service while you wait.

Thanks Logic. Any idea what sort of price for replacement ?

Suddenly !! It went from being long life to less than 1 hour, . Didn't know this could happens. Always thought the battery would fade more slowly over time 

12 minutes ago, stereolab said:

I was finding that excessive external heat was causing battery rundown, and started placing it on cooler surfaces or used the stand-up case to let heat dissipate.

Thanks, i often use the case , but have had it shut down before when it overheats, usual when i'm outside in the sun, so avoid that now

Think i will go for a new IPad air, Just take a couple of weeks for delivery, then its trying to find a decent case for it, cos the new Pads are slightly bigger than mine, which is a pain, cos i bought a really nice leather case while in the UK 

1 hour ago, taninthai said:

It’s not that difficult to order battery from lazada and change it yourself,,,or many of the small phone shops can change it.

Thanks taninthai, 

was going to try that first before ordering new Pad,

Would rather let someone more skilled than me change it

Seems a shame to scrap what is still a very good machine, just for a battery

Car is in repair at the moment so a real pain trying to get to town, will wait till car is ready

Thanks again 

I didn't think it was possible to change the battery in an iPad as there is no visible means to open the case (eg. screws etc).

When my iPad Air (1st gen) died a couple of months ago I took it in to the Apple authorised reseller in Central Festival in Pattaya (Studio 7) and they told me that the cost of repair would be in excess of the cost of purchasing a new one... plus they would not guarantee the recovery of any of my data or apps... even if I gave them my Apple ID and password details.

I ended up buying a new one.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you backup the old iPad first so all your apps and data can be transferred to the new iPad.

19 hours ago, taninthai said:

It’s not that difficult to order battery from lazada and change it yourself,,,or many of the small phone shops can change it.

Totally wrong as it’s an iPad. The screen and cases is glued together. So while it can be done it takes unusual tools and time. Not a job that is at all easy or fast.

If it were an iPhone it is completely different and a reasonably easy change for a competent tech.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

16 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

I didn't think it was possible to change the battery in an iPad as there is no visible means to open the case (eg. screws etc).

It is possible but involves ungluing the screen, it isn’t a quick job and bits can get broken as it’s taken apart.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Granted a bit more difficult than an iPhone battery change ,but still possible with a bit of patience,,you just need a hairdryer ????????????????????.

one of the other downsides is as he says in the video these generic batteries are not as quality as the original apple batteries.

Thanks to all 

Finally got it replaced

i phone shop said no have battery, too old !

Second I Phone shop said can do, 6,000 baht, need 2 days

Local guy in Central Plaza in Udon, 1,500 baht, 3 hours , all done

so far so good, will see how long this one lasts

gave this one to her indoors, bought myself the new i Pad air. Nice machine, but not that much different from my old one

Thanks again to all

On 6/18/2020 at 3:46 PM, Jai Dee said:

When my iPad Air (1st gen) died a couple of months ago I took it in to the Apple authorised reseller in Central Festival in Pattaya (Studio 7) and they told me that the cost of repair would be in excess of the cost of purchasing a new one... plus they would not guarantee the recovery of any of my data or apps... even if I gave them my Apple ID and password details.

I ended up buying a new one.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you backup the old iPad first so all your apps and data can be transferred to the new iPad.

Not true, they can be changed. I had mine changed 8/9 weeks ago.