Computer techician Pattaya home call

seasia

Hi

I wonder if someone could give a suggestion please.

I am trying to find a computer techician who does home calls.Used to be oe that I knew who was good but he has moved away I believ.

Brief description of problem, cannot access internet ( wif/shared ) where I live.

Error message is DNS server not responding.

Works in a little cafe that has wifi though.

The internet does work in the apartment building I am in, just not for me.

No idea why.

Thanks in advance, just need someone to come round and sort it out, same problem has happened before and it took the Thai IT guy who came only a few minutes to sort out the problem.

He no longer here though.

Cheers

As kekalot wrote, sound like the WiFi router preset values for the DNS (Domain Name System - the phonebook of the Internet) is set incorrectly, or the set DNS values being used have failed.

One way to 'test' this is to connect to your WiFi and bypass the DNS and enter an IP address directly to see if you actually have Internet Access (but not a functional DNS resolver service).

Try typing either of these into a browser address bar:

http://104.27.168.250  (cloudflare should report that 'direct' ip address not allowed, but if the message appears then your Internet is UP, but with router config issues.)

http://173.194.203.106  (should take you to Google search)

Edited by RichCor
  • Like 2

To answer your Q directly I suggest that you visit Pattaya2U

Take your machine with you

If they cannot fix it there and then -suggest a home visit.

I am sure that they will help.They are located well behind TukCom.

TukCom is bounded by 2 sois.

Take the soi  which is to the left of TukCom as you view the building from Sth Pattaya Rd

Down the soi. Turn left just after Night and Day hotel.  Pattaya2U is the last building on the right

They charge 300 Baht per job. I have had one home visit -some while back-I paid 500 Baht

038 724 043

081 159 4404

they will fix it-one way or another

Good Luck

• Like 2

Open a command prompt window (run cmd)

Type „ping 8.8.8.8“ ENTER

if you have a response, internet connectivity is ok

type „nslookup“ ENTER

type „server 8.8.8.8“ ENTER

Try to surf the internet.

IF this works you should update your router DNS settings. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kekalot said:

if it's a DNS issue, this could fix it.

hold windows key and i to get in settings

write control panel and then click it

open network and sharing center

click on the left side on change adapter settings

right click on your connection you are using, likely WIFI like my screenshot (might be a few, i have 6)

properties

double click on ipv4

set DNS like my screenshot (google dns)

hit enter, try again

image.png.4ebcd742e28813d7a4e05e541b84dc04.png

do this but I would suggest not using google DNS shown as I have seen issues

instead use this one preferred  1.1.1.1   alternate  1.0.0.1

Edited by smedly
  • Like 2

Hi

Firstly  genuine thanks to those who took the time to respond with quite clear instructions.

I did try but could not resolve the issue myself so called in a Thai IT guy.

he thought he had solved the problem within 5 minutes of arrival but not so.

Then stated that the wifi in building was not working, suggested he log in via his smartphone using my password.

He did so and then admitted the wifi was indeed working.

He then said that my clock was wrong, even I know that is surely not going to affect connection.

( I have my computer clock set on UK time, always have done.)

He insisted on changing it and language to Thai.

No difference, I did then say that according to posts here, he needed to go in to Registry and make some changes there ( I had tried myself but failed ) Then again I am no computer technician.

He did so and eventually re established connection.

I had to ask how long he had been fixing/working on computers to which he replied 10 years but had never used WIN 10.

Not really impressed, with his service, perhaps I am being harsh.

Problem solved for now and at least I have learned a little.

Thanks again

6 minutes ago, seasia said:

I have my computer clock set on UK time, always have done.

Setting your online access device to a different 'timezone' shouldn't be a problem, but if you just offset the 'clock' (and not the timezone) then it may/will cause issues authenticating secure certificates (https:// sites) and encryption schemes.

I do hope you recorded what 'Registry' entries you've modified in case you need to undo them later.

The changes recommended in this thread were System Setting entries. You may run into an issue when changing a network setting from 'automatic' to 'manual' (i.e.: declaring your own DNS servers) and then taking the device to connect to another network (and having those DNS blocked). One of the beauties of using DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) is, once connected to a different network your device being able to request network connection parameters and be 'Leased' a set of  IP, Subnet Mask, Gateway, Domain Name System resolvers addresses to use while connected to that network. If you manually set any of these elements then your next connection on a different network may not function.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, seasia said:

No difference, I did then say that according to posts here, he needed to go in to Registry and make some changes there ( I had tried myself but failed ) Then again I am no computer technician.

He did so and eventually re established connection.

I had to ask how long he had been fixing/working on computers to which he replied 10 years but had never used WIN 10.

Not really impressed, with his service, perhaps I am being harsh.

Problem solved for now and at least I have learned a little.

Thanks again

not sure who said anything about registry (much more advanced stuff) but hey.

certainly if he's been in the business for "10 years" he would know Windows 10 like the back of his hand.

it's 5 years old by now and I've had it installed from day one on all of my computers.

I'd suggest you try someone else than this dunce if you have other issues. certainly not that harsh

• Like 1