Thai trials of COVID-19 vaccine reach make-or-break stage

snoop1130

Thai trials of COVID-19 vaccine reach make-or-break stage

By Juarawee Kittisilpa

hgu.PNG

A man wearing a face mask stands next to a board showing the progress of developing an mRNA type vaccine candidate for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) during a news conference at the National Primate Research Center of Chulalongkorn University in Saraburi province, Thailand, June 22, 2020. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

SARABURI, Thailand (Reuters) - Thai scientists administered a second dose of an experimental COVID-19 vaccine to monkeys on Monday, looking for another positive response to enable clinical trials in humans as early as October.

The Thai vaccine is one of at least 100 being worked on globally as the world reels from a devastating virus that has infected more than 8.7 million and killed 461,000, with Sunday’s 183,000 cases the highest reported in a single day.

Thirteen monkeys were immunized on Monday and the next two weeks will be critical in determining whether researchers can proceed with further tests.

“We’re going to analyse the immune response once again. If the immune response is very, very high, then this is a good one,” said Kiat Ruxrungtham, lead researcher of the COVID-19 vaccine development programme at Bangkok’s Chulalongkorn University.

Thailand’s government is backing the trials and hopes it can have a cost-effective vaccine manufactured domestically and ready for next year.

The monkeys are divided into three groups, with one getting a high dose, another a low dose and the last none. They are receiving three injections in total, each a month apart.

The first dose on May 23 prompted positive responses from all but one animal in the high-dose group and from three in the low-dose group, an outcome Kiat called “very impressive”.

If there is a similar response after the second dose, Kiat said, the programme would order 10,000 doses made for a human trial, adding that his group had been flooded with offers from volunteers.

“The earliest we can get may be late September,” he said of the doses. “But we don’t expect it that soon, and the latest may be by November.”

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-06-22

3 hours ago, keith101 said:

Covid-19 is going to be here just like the flu so unless they can find one to give everybody 100% immunity each and every year its just not good enough .

Your logic would mean that vaccines  serve no purpose since they are not 100% effective. . Hepatitis B can only deliver protection in patients 85% to 90% of the time. The polico vaccine isn't full proof but it worked miracles etc.

• Like 2

Covid 19 immunity is a three part variable: vulnerability to side effects of Covid 19, intensity (effacy) of immunity and duration.

In the subject very limited population test the intensity was high. But no mention of its duration which requires a more lengthy observation period. While it appears no disagreement that infection results in an immunity, it's not been yet proven with certainty how long that immunity will last. I read that some researchers estimate a Covid 19 immunity measured from weeks to a couple of months. That would be dar less a period than provided by flu vaccines.

I assume all the test monkeys were in good and equal health. That may not be the general case in the human population infected by Covid 19. Especially among the aged. Thus, while one gets immunity from Covid 19 through infection, damaging effects on various organs (including the lungs!) may be irreversible or continue to worsen in the absence of Covid 19. Will a Covid 19 vaccine also protect all the vital organs from effects of Covid 19 infection?

According to my doctor at Red Cross, last year's flu vaccine was only about 60% effective. Certainly better than zero and likely to suffice for only an annual booster vaccine. I find no support in the subject test for effacy (on monkeys) of immunity from infection or proposed vaccine. What good is it if the final vaccine immunity lasts a year if its effacy is for example only 20%?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, keith101 said:

Covid-19 is going to be here just like the flu so unless they can find one to give everybody 100% immunity each and every year its just not good enough .

Is SARS still here? MERS? Serious question.

I am assuming SARS is still about as they have been trying, unsuccessfully, to get a vaccine for this for the last 17 years and MERS for the last 9(?).

What makes Covid-19 so different that everyone thinks they can achieve this in short order? Advance in technology is a good point but that same advance would also be involved in vaccine study for the previous two big ones as well (although not funded nearly as much) would it not?

16 hours ago, eeworldwide said:

You're STILL going go-go bars ??? Really?? What on earth is the appeal?!

Everybody to his own liking.

I enjoy trainspotting on airports. It tests your patience.

3 hours ago, chrisinth said:

What makes Covid-19 so different that everyone thinks they can achieve this in short order? Advance in technology is a good point but that same advance would also be involved in vaccine study for the previous two big ones as well (although not funded nearly as much) would it not?

It would indeed be the funding. Although I'm pretty sure the second a treatment hits the market development for a vaccine stops. It's much more profitable to sell billions of tabs a year than one vaccine shot.

17 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Loud horrible music / mostly fat miserable looking munters / outrageous drink prices - what's not to like!

Cosmic barfines and girls’ prices. X5 compared to Soi 6 and other places.

Edited by Zikomat

20 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

fake plandemic costing 58 deaths, reason unknown, but want and need to inject 70 million HEALTHY people  .... 70 million times 1000 baht a pop?

#agenda2030 population control 

Thais might be first, quicker then words top vaccine producers despite the fact they never produced any vaccine for public use. Yeh right. 

Edited by Xaos

the developers and government advocating or mandating is use need to be the first in line

I still didnt see any statements that their vaccine was actually effective in preventing the monkeys from actual infection.... to me that seems to be the most important aspect of any vaccine....