July 31 Visa Extensions Expire....

My understanding is that our visa extensions expire (non-imm O family visa in my case) on July 31.  Are we all just waiting to hear if they will extend this again (in light of airport closures) or has an announcement been made?

Thanks

• Haha 1

There has been no announcement and the earliest one will will be made is about mid July.

If married to or the parent of Thai you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit them unless you have already gotten one on or before July 31st if it is not extended.

FYI the airports are not closed. You can still get flights out of the country.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jreinho said:

My understanding is that our visa extensions expire (non-imm O family visa in my case) on July 31.  Are we all just waiting to hear if they will extend this again (in light of airport closures) or has an announcement been made?

Just had a discussion with Immigration over this.

Previously was Non Im O, was in Africa, was planning to renew there as per usual, when the coronavirus commenced, immediately sought safety in Central Europe (where i am based in Europe) unfortunately as non-resident in the country, could not apply for Non-Im O at the Thai Embassy, headed back to Thailand to bunker down, as Visa Exempt (Visa on Arrival).

Asked Immigration today how one converts from Visa Exempt to Non Im O.

He responded with the following.

:- 31st July Amnesty expires. (its not a visa extension and wont be treated as such).
:- 14 day lee-way to depart from the country.

:- Can not convert or renew in country (they are 100% that this will not change).

:- If depart Thailand for another country (Malaysia as an example), expect 14 day quarantine in that country, then can return to Thailand 14 day quarantine at Gov appointed resorts, can then convert to Non Img O in country.

Alternatively can apply external for multi-entry and then return.

:- Expect lead times for Visa dispensation to rise by a factor of 3 days for every 1 day.

Advise is to head 'home/birth country' - Not easy for some of us that actually reside and own homes in multiple countries outside of our home / birth country, and have nothing in our birth country.

He recognised that there are 100's of thousands in this situation, but said the Thai Government would rather we go home so they can concentrate on the safety/security of their own citizens as the follow up waves return towards the end of the year.

Edited by Jenkins9039
  • Haha 1

Who did you talk with? A 14 day window?  I don't think anyone knows for sure, it's all just speculation.  A lot can happen in a few days.  I don't see any borders opening and I also don't forsee many flights each day to get everyone (tourists) out.  Furthermore, I don't see any ease on restrictions internationally because many nearby countries are seeing spikes in cases. 

2 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Previously was Non Im O, was in Africa, was planning to renew there as per usual, when the coronavirus commenced, immediately sought safety in Central Europe (where i am based in Europe) unfortunately as non-resident in the country, could not apply for Non-Im O at the Thai Embassy, headed back to Thailand to bunker down, as Visa Exempt (Visa on Arrival).

:- 31st July Amnesty expires. (its not a visa extension and wont be treated as such).

:- Can not convert or renew in country (they are 100% that this will not change).

:- If depart Thailand for another country (Malaysia as an example), expect 14 day quarantine in that country, then can return to Thailand 14 day quarantine at Gov appointed resorts, can then convert to Non Img O in country.

:- Expect lead times for Visa dispensation to rise by a factor of 3 days for every 1 day.

Advise is to head 'home/birth country' - Not easy for some of us that actually reside and own homes in multiple countries outside of our home / birth country, and have nothing in our birth country.

He recognised that there are 100's of thousands in this situation, but said the Thai Government would rather we go home so they can concentrate on the safety/security of their own citizens as the follow up waves return towards the end of the year.

Asking an immigration officer about this situation is like asking Bob the nextdoor neighbour.

Remember before the amnesty when people where all scrambling to get extensions and letters from embassies, because nobody knew what was going on, not even the immigration offices.

Alot of people extended early for no reason and waited in line upon line of other foreigners in panic mode.

They will not know anything about after july 31st, as it wont even be a thought for the government yet, alot of other things to think about first.

This will be all decided and discussed fully near the end of july which is a month away.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JacksSmirkingRevenge said:

Who did you talk with? A 14 day window?  I don't think anyone knows for sure, it's all just speculation.  A lot can happen in a few days.  I don't see any borders opening and I also don't forsee many flights each day to get everyone (tourists) out.  Furthermore, I don't see any ease on restrictions internationally because many nearby countries are seeing spikes in cases. 

I am in total disagreement with you on borders staying closed. I would be very surprised indeed if, six weeks from now, travel without quarantine is allowed between, say, Thailand and Laos. And six weeks is a very, very long time in this situation. Changes take place, loosening takes place, weekly.

And you yourself wrote that a lot can change in a few days, so I don't see how you can also believe that nothing will have changed re borders several weeks from now. That doesn't make sense.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

3 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

No one knows if the 2x 14 days quarantine will be required when just doing a border run. You're actually just in transit so to speak, and the quarantine could easily be avoided. I strongly doubt there are "100's of thousands" in the same situation. 

• Confused 1

Dear UbonJoe. If you are on an expired Non B visa during the Covid amnesty. Is it possible to still get a Non B or an ED visa without needing to get out of Thailand? Whats the latest update? I am a Swiss teacher, and ChaengWattana is my immigration office to attend to. 

Thank you for your helpful comment in advance.

7 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Meanwhile in my immigration office they are doing 60 day extensions based on thai wife/children for people who is on the amnesty with expired non-o visas so those people then can use the two months to prepare to fullfill  the requirements for a 1 year extension. 

Edited by Okis

8 hours ago, DALIMALER said:

Dear UbonJoe. If you are on an expired Non B visa during the Covid amnesty. Is it possible to still get a Non B or an ED visa without needing to get out of Thailand? Whats the latest update? I am a Swiss teacher, and ChaengWattana is my immigration office to attend to.

You cannot apply for any visa at immigration. Immigration only does them if you have a visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

If immigration recognizes the "automatic extension" as a extension of your 90 day entry from a non-b visa or an extension of stay you could apply for a a extension of stay based upon working or teaching with the required supporting documents. 

Dependent upon category of school you would be attending immigration might also issue an extension of stay for doing that.

non-o multi should be dead now, or who wants to spend 14 days in quarantine of the country you try to get your visa + 3 days getting it because it is too much to ask to process it the same day (right) + another 14 days in Thai prison, sorry, quarantine, at your expense

and this every 90 - 14 days, so enjoy 76 days and than the horror begins again ???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot apply for any visa at immigration. Immigration only does them if you have a visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

If immigration recognizes the "automatic extension" as a extension of your 90 day entry from a non-b visa or an extension of stay you could apply for a a extension of stay based upon working or teaching with the required supporting documents. 

Dependent upon category of school you would be attending immigration might also issue an extension of stay for doing that.

Any reason why you wrote "IF" immigration recognizes the automatic extension as an extension of the 90 days entry?

Because that's what a lot of us will be doing before July 31. Me for example extending the expired 90 days marriage entry for another 60 days. How sure is that will be granted? I was always under the assumption that us marriage visa holders (even if stamp expired) can apply for another 60 days. If that becomes a "maybe" it's a huge problem..

16 minutes ago, AndyPa said:

Any reason why you wrote "IF" immigration recognizes the automatic extension as an extension of the 90 days entry?

That is for a long term extension of stay application that requires a non immigrant visa entry.

16 minutes ago, AndyPa said:

Me for example extending the expired 90 days marriage entry for another 60 days. How sure is that will be granted?

A 60 day extension can be applied for with any type of entry. It will be done since it does not require a non immigrant visa entry.

19 minutes ago, AndyPa said:

as mentioned earlier it seems they don't - this emergency period to 31st July does seem to fit any category so will they allow you to extend without crossing a border is unclear

Edited by smedly

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is for a long term extension of stay application that requires a non immigrant visa entry.

A 60 day extension can be applied for with any type of entry. It will be done since it does not require a non immigrant visa entry.

Got it! ???? Thanks for putting up with our stupid questions ???? 

20 hours ago, JacksSmirkingRevenge said:

Immigration Department directly in person.