Justin Bieber files $20 million defamation lawsuit over sexual misconduct claims

rooster59

Justin Bieber files $20 million defamation lawsuit over sexual misconduct claims

2020-06-26T164023Z_1_LYNXMPEG5P1KE_RTROPTP_4_TELEVISION-BIEBER.JPG

Singer Justin Bieber poses at the premiere for the documentary television series "Justin Bieber: Seasons" in Los Angeles, California, U.S., January 27, 2020. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni/Files

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Justin Bieber has filed a $20 million defamation lawsuit against two women who accused him of sexual misconduct.

The Canadian pop star filed the lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court on Thursday after saying on Twitter earlier this week that a claim that he sexually assaulted a woman in 2014 was "factually impossible."

The woman, who identified herself as Danielle but said she was posting anonymously, said in a Twitter posting that has since been deleted that she was sexually assaulted by the singer at a hotel in Austin, Texas, on March 9, 2014.

The other woman, who identified herself as Kadi, said on Twitter that she was sexually assaulted by Bieber in a New York hotel room in May 2015.

The lawsuit said the accusations by the two women were "outrageous, fabricated lies" and seeks a jury trial and $20 million in damages.

Neither of the women could be reached for comment on Friday. Bieber's representatives on Friday did not respond to requests for comment about the lawsuit.

The lawsuit said the two women were "trying to capitalize on the climate of fear permeating the entertainment industry, Hollywood and corporate America, whereby it is open season for anyone to make any claim (no matter how vile, unsupported, and provably false) about anyone without consequence."

Hundreds of men in entertainment, business, sports and politics have been accused of sexual misconduct since the #MeToo movement became a cultural force in 2017.

Bieber, now 26, was discovered at age 13 and has become one of the world's most popular musicians.

The lawsuit detailed hotel receipts, emails and news reports to assert that Bieber was not staying at the hotel in Austin where Danielle alleged that the 2014 assault had taken place.

It said that Kadi's accusation was false and that she had fabricated her allegation "out of her desire for fame and attention."

(Reporting by Jill Serjeant, Editing by Rosalba O'Brien)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-06-27

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Hundreds of men in entertainment, business, sports and politics have been accused of sexual misconduct since the #MeToo movement became a cultural force in 2017.

To file a lawsuit about sexual harassment against a celebrity seems an easy way to make money to some women ...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

To file a lawsuit about sexual harassment against a celebrity seems an easy way to make money to some women ...

Yes, I think they thought they could get a quick payoff to hush them up. If you didn't do the crime, they don't get a dime!!! (and it looks like Justin is going to try and make them pay)

As to the other posters: I can't say I've ever much liked Justin, but you posters should really check your hate at the door. This whole world is not benefiting from all the vile opinions. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, surangw said:

desperate ploy to stay in the media by this has been ?

Has been?! He’s going stronger than ever! 

If someone accuses you of a serious crime you HAVE to do something about it, otherwise you look guilty, which is precisely the mistake Michael Jackson made when he was accused the first time! He’s hike very let it go to trial and prove he’s innocence! 

Also, if I was Bieber and this wasn’t true, I’d do anything to legally screw up the life’s of the accusers out of spite and revenge for trying to screw up my life! Sexual misconduct accusations are no joke! Stuff like that can ruin your life! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Airalee said:

Just watched my first Justin Bieber video ever and checked out his Wikipedia page.

Calling him a “has been” is like saying the Beatles were never popular.

His latest album (2020) has topped the charts in multiple countries.

Worth close to $300,000,000

Highest grossing concert film of all time.

I’d be willing to bet that by the time he’s 35 he will be a Hollywood (film) superstar (similar to Mark Wahlberg Or Will Smith) and by 50 will have played James Bond (007).

Does seem like a spoiled brat from the little I’ve read about him.

With regards to women claiming he raped them.  Sorry...don’t believe it.  He could go to any city in the world, announce on Twitter what hotel he is staying in...saying he’s looking for sex...and within an hour have 1000 women lined up around the block ready to jump in bed with him just so they could say they #$*&ed him...and they’d probably pay him for it too.

That makes him sound like the Michael Jackson of his generation.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

We should all sue him. Making our lives miserable all these years with his noise, something he calls music.

I don't listen to Bieber's songs, because I don't even know his songs and nobody can force me to, so definitely he didn't make my life miserable.

Since he is one of the biggest sellers of this generations, I doubt he made the lives of the people who bought his music miserable.

Chances are that those who claim Bieber makes their lives miserable are in fact leading a miserable life

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, faraday said:

The topic of the thread is Biebers claim, & Pilotmans post is accurate.

Maybe you should read the topic again, S L O W L Y this time, because Bieber doesn't claim anything.

The topic is he sues for false claims made by others

• Like 1

I've been thinking about it all.  I realise that I am rather slow after reading about the claims that women make about men in the news.  Those men that tried to put their hands up my skirt......I  should do something about it.  There' only one problem; it was over 60 years ago and I can't remember their names.

I  find these stories so idiotic.  I'm not saying that some aren't true, butI'm willing to bet that these women/girls went with these men and were quite willing to let them do just about anything.