Durian

Gary A

For years I wouldn't even consider eating that stinking fruit. Once in a while my wife would get one that wasn't ripe enough. The flesh was firm and didn't smell bad. The nearest thing I can compare it to was hickory nuts. I loved hickory nuts when I was a kid and actually still do. Anyways I eventually got to the point where parts were soft and too ripe. I ate them anyways. I guess it is an acquired taste because now I love the stinking stuff and am addicted to it..

The smell isn't very agreeable, but I don't think it's really that bad. I like durian, but don't think I could eat more than a pod or two at a time. To me, it tastes like a mix of butterscotch pudding and vanilla custard.

hi Garry,

ohh man, I love that fruit!!!! So awesome in every way. I call it an extreme fruit.

:o I have to admit to loving Durian.

This is almost sinfully good (if you like Durian) but try it.

Cut the Durian off the seed, and put the fruit into a blender with some vanilla Ice Cream and maybe just a dab of some kind of syrup (Vanilla or Chocolate syrup) that you like.

Blend it up into a shake. Make sure you add enough ice cubes into the blend to make it cold.

If you want, add a dab of your favorite alcohol to the mix. (dark Rum works well).

Sinfully good.

:D

There is a New Zealand ice cream chain that sells fresh durian mixed with top quality vanilla ice cream in Malaysia (called a durian flow). Ridiculously good. I also have found that just chilling good durian in the freezer (but not anywhere near freezing it which would ruin it) really improves the taste, and makes it much more like a traditional cold custard rich dessert.

Edited by Jingthing

Me too.

Monthong variety (just coming into season now) seems to be the best flavour and also smaller seeds (i.e. more flesh!)

Also good is Too Lien Gun which is the cooked durian inside the baby crap yellow plastic sausages - 45 baht for small & 70 baht for large. I could eat far more than I should.

Any health concerns with durian?

I like it OK, but don't love it.

Wow, you are a first! I have always thought that with durian there is no "so la la, just okay". It's either "Never" or "Cannot get enough"

For me: Cannot understand people complaining about the heat. After all: it's DURIAN season! (and mangoes! and mangosteen! .... ) Paradise!

@dash: I do my own frozen durian for lean times (or when it is so expensive that even I think twice before buying it) yummie

I like it OK, but don't love it.

Wow, you are a first! I have always thought that with durian there is no "so la la, just okay". It's either "Never" or "Cannot get enough"

For me: Cannot understand people complaining about the heat. After all: it's DURIAN season! (and mangoes! and mangosteen! .... ) Paradise!

@dash: I do my own frozen durian for lean times (or when it is so expensive that even I think twice before buying it) yummie

Do they still taste the same? Most fruit I've tasted frozen just don't taste good.

I have only ever tried it once, it went down and came straight back up again. To me it tasted like garlicky, sweet cheesy stuff. I think it is an acquired taste, not one that I will persevere in acquiring apart from the taste it was the texture I didn't like.

I do think that there are issues with the amount of cholesterol in it. Maybe someone more knowledgable than me knows for sure.

I have only ever tried it once, it went down and came straight back up again. To me it tasted like garlicky, sweet cheesy stuff. I think it is an acquired taste, not one that I will persevere in acquiring apart from the taste it was the texture I didn't like.

I do think that there are issues with the amount of cholesterol in it. Maybe someone more knowledgable than me knows for sure.

No cholesterol in it, but it may have a certain amount of fat (probably similar to an avocado). I first tried the durian candy...it was terrible. It tasted just like rotten onion and garlic. Not that I've ever had either, but you know what I mean.

When I got the chance to try the real stuff, I was reluctant. Tried it anyway. I like it, especially in comparison to the candy.

I'm like you General, I can take it or leave it. There seems to be a PR mystique built up about it that doesn't really fit the product. There are certainly better fruits around, the best of all (in my opinion) are the rinchee which are about a month or two away on the dozen or so trees that grow on our land. And there's nothing like a freshly sliced cold mango for a hangover!

Do they still taste the same? Most fruit I've tasted frozen just don't taste good.

Aehemmm..... the overripe Muan Thong I freeze still tastes like overripe Muan Thong after defrosting. I do the same with Mangoes, works too.

:o

I'm like you General, I can take it or leave it. There seems to be a PR mystique built up about it that doesn't really fit the product. There are certainly better fruits around, the best of all (in my opinion) are the rinchee which are about a month or two away on the dozen or so trees that grow on our land. And there's nothing like a freshly sliced cold mango for a hangover!

Mangoes and Mangosteen are hard to beat! :o

• 2 weeks later...

This year for fourth time in Phuket. Earlier allways hated the smell of Durian. Now I tasted it and it is quite nice in the taste. There is much worse tastes I have tasted. Try for example the Swedish " Surströmming " a kind of rotten fish.

now we have a no smell durian ,It is new variety call "Juntaburi 1" if you want to test may have to go to Juntaburi province too

Safe sex is bad enough, now we have safe durian!

I can't abide that. Keep it real, eat smelly durian.

• 2 weeks later...