Baffled by windows (not the computer operating system)

narisarasgroove

In my house I have the typical aluminium frame sliding windows with fly screens and would like to remove them for a good clean and a wee bit of maintenance but am not having much success. 

The fly screens come out easily by lifting and pushing up the sliding wheels at the bottom but I cannot get the windows out using the same principle even though they are basically the same system.

I get as far as lifting, pulling toward me, and they move off the round bar they slide on but then hit a lip on the frame which is higher than the windows will lift so I get no further.

I have also tried removing the outside window first to the edge of the outside lip, lifting the inner window backwards to see if that gives extra leeway but no joy there.

Try as I might I cannot see how they come out (presumably the same way they went in) and was wondering if anyone here has faced this job and managed it and could point me in the right direction.

Googled all over the place but still haven't come up with anything so you guys may be my last hope without calling in a window fitter who I am sure would make me feel quite an idiot when he removes them in ten seconds flat.

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were put in "permanently"

here I have the same system and one of the two window for some reason looks impossible to remove (right side) , not unlike yours.. it just doesn't go high enough compared to the left one

and they put the mosquito screen on the inside of the room which is baffling to me..

when it rains heavily, Ialways have to open the screen, close the window, close the screen (or leave it open I guess) and then redo same thing

The windows may have a hole at the top and bottom,where

you can insert a screwdriver, and adjust the wheels inside

the window frame so you will then be able to remove.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

As Worgeordie says they may have adjustable wheels, so you need to move them up into the frame. However, there also may be what are called anti lift blocks fitted inside the top tracks. These are put there after the sash is fitted to prevent someone from simply lifting the sash out. If you see them just unscrew them, but remember to put them back !!!

Good luck.

Thanks for your input guys.

I found that info about the wheel adjustment earlier Worgeordie but unfortunately the window frame itself doesn't lift high enough to clear the lip far less the wheels.

Didn't know about the lift blocks AhFarangJa and had a look but no luck there as none are fitted. Was hoping you were on to something but such is life (sigh!).

28 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Given the cost of labor in Thailand, I'd let my feelings be hurt rather than wearing out tooth enamel.

It's not about the cost Lacessit. I am just a hands-on type of guy that likes to keep busy. If in the end I need to call someone then so be it but I would rather keep trying for now until it beats me. 

2 hours ago, narisarasgroove said:

It's not about the cost Lacessit. I am just a hands-on type of guy that likes to keep busy. If in the end I need to call someone then so be it but I would rather keep trying for now until it beats me. 

Fair enough, I don't like giving up too easily either. Although some posters on TV are changing my mind for me.

• Haha 1