Saying goodbye to 27 years of manufacturing in Thailand - Chevvy calls it quits

webfact

58 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Then the stats you quote don't count. Thai built cars are not the same as Western built ones, we all know that. For example,  a BMW here is no match for a German built BMW.

never  said  it was,  but for example the Chevrolet  Colorado and S10 made in Brazil are identical. So  how  many did you own?

Edited by bodga
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, grego49 said:

Read a story a while ago that great wall would not guarantee Thais work,wouldnt be surprised if they bring their own workers in bloody shame if they do.

Doubtful as that would breach Thai labor laws. Thailand isn't Cambodia or Laos, or Myanmar, where indeed, the Chinese could get away with that, as that's what they do. On Chinese projects in Cambodia and Laos, 90% of the labor force is Chinese.

Sure, there will be some Chinese managers coming in, but other than moving to more robotics based production, I think there's a good chance many of these retrenched workers will be picked up by Great Wall.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Will be interesting to see what GWM do in regard to employment numbers.  Given the questionable quality of their past products it will be interesting to see if Thai made is better made.  And the issue of price will be relevant.  The Price of MG (Mediocre Garage) products here in LOS seems on the high side given their Chinese heritage.  Who in their right mind would buy a MG pick-up when for not much more you can have proven Japanese quality. With GWM it maybe the export markets are the prime motivation to be here.  It's one way of getting around an import duty on Chinese goods. 

I don’t think they sell pick ups . 

45 minutes ago, bodga said:

never  said  it was,  but for example the Chevrolet  Colorado and S10 made in Brazil are identical. So  how  many did you own?

None thank goodness, but I have had the misfortune to rent a couple. Two Christmases ago, I rented one for 10 days to take family to Koh Chang.  Broke down 10 k outside Rayong, got fixed, broke again on the Island. One year ago, needed a second car for a week while my son used mine.  It was uncomfortable to drive, didn't seem to like going around corners  and, yet again, broke down on day 2.  Never again.  

3 hours ago, TooBigToFit said:

I have a few relatives who worked there. They hope to continue working for the new company from China that will move in which is called Great Wall Motors.

Be very interested to know if this new company is paying more or hiring the same people for less

I think it must be said that there are a lot of companies, world wide, in all industries, not just automotive, that are closing down now because basically their product is either no longer needed or just not very good compared to the competition. These companies were struggling anyway, but with the collapse in demand due to the current pandemic, the wheat is being sorted from the chaff, so to speak, but it's happening quicker than it was, giving these companies less time to review and possibly change their products / methods. This particular example...Chevy vs, (say) Toyota, Merc, BMW, Lexus - IMO all better quality than the equivalent Chevys.

It's not really that different from a bar which was struggling before and has now gone under never to return, whereas its better-run competition may recover in time.

In some ways, it's simply the "survival of the fittest" exacerbated by current lack of demand and as sorry as one is for people losing their livelihoods, what should emerge will be fewer but better choices which will ultimately benefit the customers. One of the very few silver linings in the cloud.

4 hours ago, TooBigToFit said:

I have a few relatives who worked there. They hope to continue working for the new company from China that will move in which is called Great Wall Motors.

https://www.gwm-global.com/

Story on the new company...

Great Wall Motors to Start SUV and Pickup Production in Thailand in 2021

I wonder if one of their model will be called Haval Nagila?

Won't sell very well in the Middle East?

7 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

sad to see, more hard times. Personally I will never buy another GM product after they shut down huge in Canada and went to Mexico. 

Going to Mexico was a huge mistake, yes they were cheaper to make but the quality control bombed out... complete rubbish, which became obvious as the public complaints soared. So people stopped buying GM's rubbish.

8 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

Some time ago GM stated it would close ALL the plants manufacturing Right Hand Drive vehicles, as this was a limited market.

Most of these Thai workers will no doubt be starting at Great Wall soon, assuming the company does not change to a complete robotic assembly line

Japan, India and UK are all in the top 10 car buyers (3rd, 5th and 8th), all RHD. But there has hardly ever been any chevrolets in any of them and, in the case of the UK, most of the models sold (Spark, Aveo) were actually Korean, being rebadged Daewoos.  And they were truly awful, regardless of the steering position.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

Some time ago GM stated it would close ALL the plants manufacturing Right Hand Drive vehicles, as this was a limited market.

Most of these Thai workers will no doubt be starting at Great Wall soon, assuming the company does not change to a complete robotic assembly line

The robots will be facsimiles of Chinese people

4 hours ago, bodga said:
7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

terrible cars, no loss at all. 

How  many did you own? as Jd  powers  latest survey for any problems in the first 3  months of  new vehicle ownership has them 3rd and toyota way down the  list. Unfortunately I cant find any listings for the Thai markets for service, reliability, quality etc etc etc

Well, look, some people know everything, can tell you all about any subject and do it in as few as six words.  It's pretty impressive.

5 hours ago, bodga said:

How  many did you own? as Jd  powers  latest survey for any problems in the first 3  months of  new vehicle ownership has them 3rd and toyota way down the  list. Unfortunately I cant find any listings for the Thai markets for service, reliability, quality etc etc etc

2020070a.jpg

Am I reading this correctly, that eg Toyota had 177 problems with 100 vehicles? And Tesla 250 per 100! Maybe a few zeros missed off.

3 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Ford are in a partnership agreement with Mazda,called the Auto Alliance here in Thailand.

Unless they forgo the partnership, they will remain strong in Thailand.

Whilst they still occupy the same facility they are very much 2 seperate companies and split awhile ago.

BT-50 manufacture at AAT ends soon.

I spent most of today at AAT, not a single Mazda uniform to be seen.

Edited by Don Mega

17 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Am I reading this correctly, that eg Toyota had 177 problems with 100 vehicles? And Tesla 250 per 100! Maybe a few zeros missed off.

Have you not considered that a car could have more than 1 problem?

56 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Have you not considered that a car could have more than 1 problem?

No! if Tesla had 250 problems with 100 cars I doubt they would ever sell another one. That is EVERY ONE having problems.

Edited by stouricks
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Skallywag said:

<deleted>, why in the name of common sense does anyone need a personal vehicle with an internal combustion engine anymore.

Explain that to me and I will be sad about a car manufacturer that goes out of business.

Automobile production is out of hand everywhere, sucking the money out of peoples wallets, making them lazy and fat, and ruining the air that we all breath.  Manufacturers of cars, the oil companies, and the insurance companies are all laughing their way to the bank on how they got everyone addicted to their products 

i take it you don't live in a small village, miles from anywhere, with very limited and uncomfortable bus service, like millions of other people do. Those are the people who need cars and trucks, For me its 30k round trip for a carton of milk, 90k for a Tesco or makro. You think we should walk instead of drive ??

24 minutes ago, stouricks said:

No! if Tesla had 250 problems with 100 cars I doubt they would ever sell another one. That is EVERY ONE having problems.

Or it could be 25 cars with 10 problems each. Or even one car with 250 problems and a very picky owner. The figures are problems per 100 cars. The Tesla entry is qualified by a note saying the brand is not eligible so the figure is probably just to get it at the bottom of the table.

Its not a great chart at proving anything really. The above average is mostly trucks and below is mostly cars. Car owners being fussier so raise more problems.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Be very interested to know if this new company is paying more or hiring the same people for less

1. They’re Chinese. Chinese don’t pay more. Chinese pay less. 

2. The salaries in automotive manufacturing are pretty aligned across the manufacturers. 

3. Given Covid, I doubt there’s a shortage of skilled workers. Could as well be the other way round. Not sure when they will start hiring though. Haven’t seen the timeline. 

Expect they will pay the same or less. 

• Like 1

Obviously, whoever wrote the title was not a USA car person (GM or General Motors was probably a better choice). Great Wall Motors?! Really? Leave it to the Chinese. Will they Great Stonewall if you report a problem with one of their vehicles? But I digress:

Saying goodbye to 27 years of manufacturing in Thailand - Chevvy Chevy calls it quits

Edited by MaxYakov

23 hours ago, Pilotman said:

terrible cars, no loss at all. 

Had an optra for 15 years ,fantastic car ,hardly any problems with it and still runs great after 180000 kms.

mind you i never used chevrolet service but a private garage with a great mechanic.

Edited by bert bloggs
  • Confused 1