Small PCs

pineapple01

Are those little PC s good for just watching You Tube etc. The  fancy Gamer i gave my Grand Kid sounds like an old washing machine now. I just want to get  her something silent for her Cartoons, the old sound and screen are fine Anyone used one.?.

What is a nuc and usff out of interest.?.Im a user im afraid. In fact can be a bit anti nerd. Take this 7/9yo realy posh serviced Gamer. Its got 3 fans and a graphic card with its own built in cooling gas pipes and my living areas are a constant 25C yet the bloody fans crash in ever half hour since new. It would explode in my chums place whose an old air con skin flint.????

I have a Minix Z64 W10 a friend gave me.  It works okay for browsing or viewing downloaded videos using VLC.  I try to avoid opening more than one program at a time. 

Sometimes the image breaks up on 1080p videos in VLC but if I stop the playback, backup a few seconds and go again the image is fine. 

The built in RAM is only 4GB, which is what causes this problems and why I try to keep only one program running at a time.

There are a couple of new versions.  The  NEO Z83-4 Plus WINDOWS 10 PRO FANLESS MINI PC looks to be the replacement of what I have.  The  NEO G41V-4
WINDOWS 10 PRO FANLESS MINI PC may be the upgraded version, it certainly has more USB slots and HDMI connectors.

I certainly wouldn't try to use one of these Minix computers as my only computer, even a 21,000 Bt Asus VivoBook S15 would outperform it.

• Like 1

A NUC is a mini PC made by Intel (Google it). I use an i5 jobbie, with 8Gb RAM and a 250 SSD. Latest W10 installed as well as Linux. HDMI into a 55 inch Samsung non-smart TV and sound into a pair of M Audio BX 5s..

Absolutely perfect in all respects. All downloaded movies, and all other data is on One Drive. 

Got it from invadeIT in Hua Hin.

• Like 2

Thanks for your efforts to educate a hopeless case.My Son called to say hes staying a few days so dont do anything as he will bring the new thing from JB whoever that is in BKK. He got me a top  I Mac last time and apart from the price its been excellent. Grand Daughter is kept well away from it. Thanks again,!