Jump to content

Thai driving: Motorcyclist doing a wheelie comes a cropper


rooster59

Recommended Posts

Thai driving: Motorcyclist doing a wheelie comes a cropper

 

20200702_221504.jpg

Image: 77kaoded

 

Dash cam footage from both the front and rear of a vehicle showed scenes of a scary smash in Krabi.

 

A car collides with a young motorcyclist doing a wheelie (raising his front wheel) on the Khao Phanom to Thung Yai Road last Sunday.

 

The dash cam car left the road and collided with a tree.

 

77kaoded spoke to the driver who said that he was uninjured though his vehicle was smashed up.

 

The motorcyclist was only slightly hurt. 

 

The driver had given the footage to the police to bolster his case. 

 

Many netizens commented about irresponsible bike riders, said the media.

 

The clip was widely shared after being posted on Facebook under the name อ้วน กระบี่ (Uan Krabi).

 

Source: 77kaoded

 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-04
 
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Farang car driver the cyclist would be suing by now

Not true in my case.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not much of a difference if the motorbike driver made a wheely or not. To me it seems like he merged onto the main road cutting in front of the car.

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Perhaps the motorcyclist will claim he was just being thrifty by trying to reduce the wear on his front tyre.

Or maybe he knew his front brake didn't work and was being cautious? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

One would hope the driver has insurance, just for incidents like this, unlicensed unregistered riders ?

The rider was unlicenced on an unregistered bike?  I missed that part.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

One would hope the driver has insurance, just for incidents like this, unlicensed unregistered riders ?

Where in the article does it mention the scoot rider was unlicenced and unregistered ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a motorbike run into me that was going the wrong way ,slight damage to my vehicle but the kid and woman on the back hurt ,the rider at least a broken wrist ,the police made him give me 5000 baht for damage but I gave it the woman for to hopefully get her and kid looked after , the police were very professional and knew what had happened. They are not all useless and one sided 

Link to post
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Foghorn said:

I had a motorbike run into me that was going the wrong way ,slight damage to my vehicle but the kid and woman on the back hurt ,the rider at least a broken wrist ,the police made him give me 5000 baht for damage but I gave it the woman for to hopefully get her and kid looked after , the police were very professional and knew what had happened. They are not all useless and one sided 

I had a similar incident years ago when a motorcycle taxi drove into the front of my pick-up.

His passenger ran off, the motorcyclist told me in English, "You no good man."

Interestingly he'd just picked up his passenger from a taxi rank less than 50 metres away. One of his motorcycle taxi driver friends came running up to see if he was OK, asking him in Thai if he'd sobered up yet?

 

The the police arrived PDQ and instantly saw from the angle of the vehicles the taxi driver was at fault and blamed him immediately.

The policeman told us both to go to the local police station straight away and sort it out. I phoned my insurance company who sent someone immediately.

 

At the police station the officer there also blamed the motorcycle taxi driver.

My insurance guy pressed the police to impound his motorbike until he had paid back the insurance company for the repairs they needed to carry out to my pick-up. (Fairly minor, 3,000-odd Baht).

 

The taxi driver was fined 400 Baht. He had to call a friend to bring him some cash, in order to pay the fine and get out out the police station.

I never even had to mention the taxi driver had been drinking, according what his friend had said.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As the car driver I would have floored that gas pedal just for good measure.

If the cops asked, I would say I was trying to pop a wheelie too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

The rider was unlicenced on an unregistered bike?  I missed that part.

Looking at the guy on the bike in the video, I would say he is under aged which means he is unlicensed, and how many people in Thailand insure their bikes, besides, If my assumption is correct and he is under aged and unliicensed no doubt, and if the bike was insured, they wouldn't pay up because he is unlicensed.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Where in the article does it mention the scoot rider was unlicenced and unregistered ?

See my comment above

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the video, I could see this coming at least 100 metres before the incident and yet the car driver does nothing to slow down or apply any defensive driving whatsoever.

Give them both a ticket.

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:
21 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

The rider was unlicenced on an unregistered bike?  I missed that part.

Looking at the guy on the bike in the video, I would say he is under aged...

There is nothing in that video that suggests that the rider is below the legal age.   Your assumption that he is makes no sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

My wife drove for the very first time on Monday......supposed to take her test on Tuesday, but it started to rain....so they just passed her..............she is not driving me anywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

My wife drove for the very first time on Monday......supposed to take her test on Tuesday, but it started to rain....so they just passed her..............she is not driving me anywhere.

Round the bend?

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 weeks ago saw a kid lying flat along the top of his bike, no helmet or shoes on a busy road, weirdest thing I ever saw here, at least he was holding onto both handles !

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...