Old fuse

Kwasaki

Given this for my mancave farmhouse, Chang switch, and this funny looking thing,  guess it's all type of fuse so will it be OK for my 5/15 supply. 

IMG_20200701_100719.thumb.jpg.487d6265363a62f0260c480aab53b1b3.jpg

Edited by Kwasaki

Inside the ceramic bit is a bottle fuse, check the value (20A on a 5/15).

When you wire it up make sure the incoming live goes to the back terminal of the fuse so it's (slightly) harder to get a finger on the hot bit when the fuse is out.

Give it a good wash and dry too ????

I see it does have a chip, please ensure that no bare metal is accessible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks intact.

A good clean, contacts, eggs out and checking the base for cracks.

Check the amp sizing.

Don't forget to get some spare fuses and keep it near the switch.

For good measure, hook a modern breaker after it with smaller amp rating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

When you wire it up make sure the incoming live goes to the back terminal of the fuse so it's (slightly) harder to get a finger on the hot bit when the fuse is out.

Beated me to it and this one I forgot to suggest and is absolutely true.  The same for light fittings.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Inside the ceramic bit is a bottle fuse, check the value (20A on a 5/15).

Give it a good wash and dry too ????

I see it does have a chip, please ensure that no bare metal is accessible.

OK guess & should of taken a pix of the whole set that's wired in a plastic opening box, mounted on wood base with a Chang switch & a plug socket, along with this fuse thingy.

I took it apart and clean it all, its a 25 amp fuse and the whole ceramic assembly is in good condition..

The only disconnection obviously is from wires incoming to Chang switch but the rest is wired up already and has a small length of outgoing house supply wire that's been cut.

The grey wire is connected top & bottom of the ceramic fuse thingy and goes to a plug socket and the Chang switch, two black wires are taped together, the Chang switch has black & grey going to the supply from the house supply cut off wire.

Thought it would be good to stick it in the farmhouse for isolation as the farmhouse has nothing but a wire supply some 150 metres away from a Chang switch..

Have this trip switch wired to incoming wires should I keep it or not.

105312246_1323165157877325_4911131444714718885_n.jpg.b6ff4430281f71763cb6360adacb930a.jpg

Reason I ask was because the Chang switch a 150 metres away blew a fuse when the wire to farmhouse was mashed together by a fallen tree and obviously shorted out.

The trip switch stayed switched on. ??

Edited by Kwasaki

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Have this trip switch wired to incoming wires should I keep it or not.

105312246_1323165157877325_4911131444714718885_n.jpg.b6ff4430281f71763cb6360adacb930a.jpg

Reason I ask was because the Chang switch a 150 metres away blew a fuse when the wire to farmhouse was mashed together by a fallen tree and obviously shorted out.

The trip switch stayed switched on. ??

Will explain the last line, just that. ????

It's a C16 breakers, these trips 'direct' at around 7 times the amp rating when the short is in the 10ms-2sec. (112Amp)

Was it an B16 breaker, then it would direct trip around the 4 times the amp rating in the same time span. (64Amp)

A dead short is higher amps, but the fuse was probably an quick(er) type and without the fuse the breaker would eventually had tripped.

Give it a nice home though ????

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Thanks for the help.

Sorry, I was really waiting for Metropolition or Crossy to provide more 'expert' advice.

While I've been known to do worse wiring for temporary installations (like getting electricity to funeral lighting where needed) I much prefer to follow safety guidelines on permanent installs; this includes properly securing all wiring and switches with the intent of not leaving an unintentional shock or electrocution hazard. Other people are known to do stupid things when they see normal things in abnormal conditions, like pull on unsecured wires or touch a circuit breaker hanging mid air to see if it's working.

Metro put it very nicely, "give it a nice casing." Preferably one securely screwed to a wall and away from any potential water leaks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RichCor said:

Sorry, I was really waiting for Metropolition or Crossy to provide more 'expert' advice.

While I've been known to do worse wiring for temporary installations (like getting electricity to funeral lighting where needed) I much prefer to follow safety guidelines on permanent installs; this includes properly securing all wiring and switches with the intent of not leaving an unintentional shock or electrocution hazard. Other people are known to do stupid things when they see normal things in abnormal conditions, like pull on unsecured wires or touch a circuit breaker hanging mid air to see if it's working.

Metro put it very nicely, "give it a nice casing." Preferably one securely screwed to a wall and away from any potential water leaks.

Yeah I admit I've been a Thai like cowboy installing electric to my old farmhouse.????

I wired the C16 breaker as it was over from some other work so it gave me a switch off in farmhouse.
I'm building a room within the farmhouse so wanting electric to be a bit more by tidy putting the second Chang switch board given me along with the ceramic fuse thingy in first post pix.

8 hours ago, Metropolitian said:

A dead short is higher amps, but the fuse was probably an quick(er) type and without the fuse the breaker would eventually had tripped.

Yeah thanks asked about the C16 trip switch because I thought it should of tripped as well as the 16 amp fuse blowing in the Chang switch.