Thai Tap Water....

cjnst2

How about all the ppl in Thonburi who swim, and wash in the Mae Nam Chao Phraya.

They seem to be OK

I drink the tap water sometimes, not always, but sometimes.

It's OK for occassional usage.

You're probably talking about the klongs. Sure they seem okay. Please read my post above. But how do you know some of them don't become sick later?

Would you swim, wash, or drink the water straight from the klongs?

hi yall

few observations on water born detritus spouted above

first, i have read somewhere that de-ionised water is not good for human consuption

so i wouldnt use an ion exchnage filter

second

you have too much faith in the bulk water that si delivered in 25 litre plastic flagons. I have seen the back room factories where this stuf is produced. they use the local town water and filter it with large 3 stage filters as shown in louts etc (only larger). nothing magic there

the ceramic final cartridge is supposedly of 0.3 micron guage and should reject most bacteria (but you should clean your filters regularly. the more expensive ones costing 5k have a uv lamp and a back wash facility (i recommend if you have young children)

note how often you tke some water from the food halls in well., known supermarkets. it often had an off smeel of fungus indicating dirty filters but its never affected me.

i filter the local pattaya water and its great, so convenient and crystal clear

as WC Fileds once said

I would never drink anything fish made love in

I drink mainly coconut water in Thailand. Plant-fixed for maximum absorption and minimal mineral leaching, naturally sweet, delicious, safe and cheap. The soft flesh is very healthy too : 10% raw saturated fat with MCTs (medium chain triglycerides, as found in mother's milk). Just that they're such pain to carry home.

In the UK I drink mainly unpasteurised cow's milk direct from a farm. If I had neither I would go for freshly-brewed herbal teas. Raw organic vegetable juices are said to be the ultimate drink but require quite an effort to get set up. Anything pre-bottled is not good, except for emergencies. And plain, unstructured water just leaches the minerals out of your body.

If you think tap water anywhere in the world is safe, read this ...

http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_blog/Dru...ealth-9456.aspx

Edited by Trevor

btw none of these filters remove heavy metals if you are worried about that, but then neither does the water plant in thailand. removing heavy metals is very difficult, same with nitrates (fertilizer run off)

if you trawl the web you wont sleep

btw none of these filters remove heavy metals if you are worried about that, but then neither does the water plant in thailand. removing heavy metals is very difficult, same with nitrates (fertilizer run off)

if you trawl the web you wont sleep

OF COURSE you wont sleep, when there is heavy metal playing on the web! :o

Edited by SamuiJens

btw none of these filters remove heavy metals if you are worried about that

There were some ultra-conservative preachers in America who were quite successful in removing heavy metal (from radio airwaves), but I'm not sure if they are available at Carrefour/Lotus nor am I sure if their ability extends to tap water.

I won't even cook my pasta in local water, I am in Thonburi, do brush my teeth tho, last rinse for veggies is in bottled water. I have to clean the screen on my tap every week after it becomes a spray machine, less with washer and shower.

I buy water from a machine but always check the latest filter replacement date, 1 baht a liter is a good and very decent price

17 years in the water industry in So Cal, USA where the tap water was better than the bottles water

I love Volvic but apart from the odd treat (like 2 times in 4 years I think) I will not buy it due to the ludicrous expense. Had some in the UK earlier this month, cheaper than Evian there.

Here I use whatever the shop downstairs has, Miniere I think. I use tap water for showering and washing my teeth.

In Bangkok tap water is safe to drink in most locations, at most times - but most Thai (and I) will still filter it. You will often see a three section SS filter on the wall of shophouse restaurants with the center smaller filter being key to removal of bacteria and many virus. This normal filter is ceramic but is being replaced by plastic models. RO and UV can also be used for those more paranoid. I believe the mentioned filter (Brita) is marked for potable water only and should not be used for unsafe or questionable water. If you visit Tesco there will be a long line of filters available.

Who are you to tell me I'm paranoid? Do you have car insurance? Why? Ever had an accident? No? Then why have insurance.

Paranoia my *$*#$*$#*$*%%*.

we've plonked a two stage fliter (ceramic and carbon) on our tap here and drink what comes out, never a problem. We change the filters every 6 months or so. You get one of these for about 1400 baht at tesco lotus.

Water which leaves the water works is OK (PWA and MWA), it is the older pipes under some streets and in some buildings where things are probematic.

For us, it is less about the cost (as bottled water is cheap), more about the fact that before we got the filter, we were always running out of water. Pain in the arse to go up the street when you are in your PJ's.

Hurry! Hurry!! Hurry!!!

Sale ends April 26 at Carrefour

Marked down from 1290 to 699 baht:

carrefour.jpg

btw, very much in agreement with the last reason given for having one... :o

exactly the one we have. Works a treat.

we've plonked a two stage fliter (ceramic and carbon) on our tap here and drink what comes out, never a problem. We change the filters every 6 months or so. You get one of these for about 1400 baht at tesco lotus.

Water which leaves the water works is OK (PWA and MWA), it is the older pipes under some streets and in some buildings where things are probematic.

For us, it is less about the cost (as bottled water is cheap), more about the fact that before we got the filter, we were always running out of water. Pain in the arse to go up the street when you are in your PJ's.

Hurry! Hurry!! Hurry!!!

Sale ends April 26 at Carrefour

Marked down from 1290 to 699 baht:

carrefour.jpg

btw, very much in agreement with the last reason given for having one... :o

exactly the one we have. Works a treat.

Is that the kind that boils the water as well?

Ok. I live in Chiang Mai and was told not to drink the water from the pipes in my apartment. Bottled water is quite cheap here and I don't mind buying it but I was wondering of another option.

In my country we have this device known as a "Brita"...may be spelled wrong...that basically filters water. You fill the Brita up with water at the top and the filtered water comes to a rest at the bottom. Store it in your fridge and when you want a cold class of water you just pour yourself a glass.

Would this be enough to make the tap water in Thailand clean enough to drink? Just wondering because with all this heat I find myself running out to get more water all the time and and alternative might work better for me.

Following on from my post earlier I decided to send Brita Australia an email and asked if the new filter jug would be ok in Thailand, this was their response:

We cannot guarantee the water when travelling in these countries as we do not know thier Municipal Water Supply..

Our Golden Rule for travellers is to Filter the water through our System and then boil it.. Do not boil water and then put through the Filter Jug System as you risk melting the plastic.

I hope this of help

KIND REGARDS

BRITA CUSTOMER SERVICE

My opinion is that if you have this filter system and they tell you to boil it again after you have treated it then I would choose one of those Thai filters rather than this brand, hope that helps.

This thread is funny. I wouldn't drink the tap water in Thailand, no way. Bottled water just simply tastes much better.

That's my problem. Bottled water has absolutely no taste (IMHO), or at best, tastes like distillated water. When I read the labels, it mostly described the water to having been treated with reverse osmosis, leaving absolutely nothing but H2O. Don't know if that is true, though, never made a test.

But why isn't there a decent mineral water in Thailand? I mean, water from an unpolluted spring, with minerals and taste and clean? Does someone know any?

I now buy a water branded "AURA", but still nothing like a good San Pellegrino.

This thread is funny. I wouldn't drink the tap water in Thailand, no way. Bottled water just simply tastes much better.

That's my problem. Bottled water has absolutely no taste (IMHO), or at best, tastes like distillated water. When I read the labels, it mostly described the water to having been treated with reverse osmosis, leaving absolutely nothing but H2O. Don't know if that is true, though, never made a test.

But why isn't there a decent mineral water in Thailand? I mean, water from an unpolluted spring, with minerals and taste and clean? Does someone know any?

Have you tried rainwater, it tastes just like tap water.

Edited by enyaw

'ey up, enyaw, you a Nooten Eafer too? I've drunk Thai tap water and rain water for years because my tea always tasted like sh!t when I used bottled water. So far I haven't died a slow and agonising death.

up country i drink collected rainwater which is kept in 2000 litre concrete jars. works very well but keep leave from trees from getting in

i am curious as to these roadisde water dispenser (1baht a litre) they claim they are using reverse osmosis.

As i recall this is a complex expensive process requiring high pressure pumps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_osmosis

i am suspicious. its easy just to stick a label on the front TIT

anyone seen the inside of one of these dispensers

i am curious as to these roadisde water dispenser (1baht a litre) they claim they are using reverse osmosis.

I use this machine which is situated in the laundry room of the condo where I stay, never been sick from it at all. Most of the people in the condo prefer it to the 15 baht for 20 litre drums that we can buy in shop downstairs. Only trouble is it breaks down often and then remains out of service for 2 or 3 weeks.

'ey up, enyaw, you a Nooten Eafer too? I've drunk Thai tap water and rain water for years because my tea always tasted like sh!t when I used bottled water. So far I haven't died a slow and agonising death.

Alreet mate, You can't beat a cup of Thai rainwater to quench your thirst on a hot sunny day can you.

In Australia , and I am sure in other parts of the world, I have seen a water filter that takes water out of the air and runs it through reverse osmosis.

Works well in anywhere humid. I think that would apply to Thailand. Cost was about A$1000

In Australia , and I am sure in other parts of the world, I have seen a water filter that takes water out of the air and runs it through reverse osmosis.

Works well in anywhere humid. I think that would apply to Thailand. Cost was about A$1000

Yeh right,

I saw a clip on tv, of US flood damage workers using a machine which produced water this way. Amazing.....that you can get the water from the air......BUT

it did use shedloads of electicity I recall........but so does the air con.

The water dispenser machines do use Reverse Osmosis, not that much pressure is required for a few liters. I own a couple of machines that are located in several shops in the area...........people love them............the thing to check is that the filter is changed regularly.....................17 years with a water treatment co.

The water dispenser machines do use Reverse Osmosis, not that much pressure is required for a few liters. I own a couple of machines that are located in several shops in the area...........people love them............the thing to check is that the filter is changed regularly.....................17 years with a water treatment co.

thanks for the reassurance. so they have a pressurising pump inside something like the type used to pressurise a domestic installation? If you use the machine, presumably you can hear the pump running?

you are right about chaNGING FILTERS. some of the drinking water fountains in the food malls of big supermarkets smell really bad (like mildew), obviously nefver maintained

just cos im paranoid doesnt make me wrong to suspect