Growing A Mango Tree From The Seed?

Daffy D

Hi

Don’t know where to put this; the farming section seemed like overkill so Moderators feel free to move it if necessary.

There is a magnificent mango tree right near us that this year is weighed down with fruit.

If I plant one of the fruits will it grow into a tree?

Should I plant the whole fruit or just the stone?

When should I do this?

Ms D says I should wait till the fruit turns yellow and falls off sound OK to me but is that the best way?

I realise this would be a long tem project but I like growing trees and have stared several from just picking up fallen seeds.

Like someone once said: Take a wife – Raise a Son – and plant a Tree.

D.D.

Hi

Don’t know where to put this; the farming section seemed like overkill so Moderators feel free to move it if necessary.

There is a magnificent mango tree right near us that this year is weighed down with fruit.

When should I do this?

Ms D says I should wait till the fruit turns yellow and falls off sound OK to me but is that the best way?

I realise this would be a long tem project but I like growing trees and have stared several from just picking up fallen seeds.

and cut off a

Hey DD,

Yes you can grow from the seed but it may not grow true to form. The best way to maintain the true form of your good tree is to take a cutting from the good tree. Cut a branch back past the current new growth, about as thick as your finger or a little more.

Cut it off about 30 cms long and plant that in wet soil, water it regularly. Make sure you get it the right way up.

Cut across the wood at an angle of about 45 degrees top and bottom. You can leave some leaves on but cut them in half to reduce the transpiration. Best time to do this is after fruit is finished and rain starts,

Good luck,

Bicko

D.D.

hello dd

yes i agree with bicko,we grew a lemon tree from the seed but the fruit was substanderd,i think its got something to do with the male/female.

since then we have got some old guy in the village to graft a branch off a good fruit tree(the bigger the branch the better) he peels about 2 inches of bark off the branch then he wraps compost or dirt or coconut fibres around held together with a plastic bag waits a couple of weeks until the roots start to grow out of the branch then we plant in the ground

Any fruit seed needs to be mature enough to have a reasonable prospect of germinating - so letting nature take its course and waiting until the mango is ripe enough to drop makes sense. As you'll see from the guidelines at the following link, there are some things you can do to help once you have the seed........... I have no idea about how long it takes to get a mature tree that might produce fruit, but I just love the idea of seeds for free and seeing what they do - mango, papaya, guava, rambutan, lychee etc not to mention planting the tops of pineapples to make another free and interesting plant.

http://www.greendealer-exotic-seeds.com/se...ngoPapGuav.html

Hi

When should I do this?

D.D.

I once planted a mango tree and what I did is that mango becomes yellow and the seed becomes hard then I took the pulp very carefully so as not to destroy the seed and then planted it in vertical position around 6-8 inches deep and watered it and within 2-3 weeks a sprout came out. Though, it took about five years to get the mangoes out of the tree. (if i remember the time period correctly) :o

Thank you for the excellent responses. From the replies it appears there 2 ways of doing this planting a cutting and planting a seed.

Come the right time I will try a couple of each method and see what happens.

It’s gratifying to know I’m not the only “tree grower” around.

Dave 111223 Why would I do it the easy way when the hard way is more interesting and challenging, besides any money not spent goes towards the beer fund. :o

Thanks All

D.D.

I started several mango trees from seed. I got my seeds from your standard ripe enough to eat as a sweet fruit....seems like ripe enough to eat is ripe enough to germinate...at least in my experience....but this was back in the US and so they were mangoes from Mexico I think.

After you eat the flesh there is a fibrous coating with the seed inside. I would carefully pry open the fibrous coating (it comes in two halves) by cutting the fibres along the seam carefully and prying it open until the seed inside can be removed. I then sprouted the seeds by wrapping them in paper towels and rinseing them a couple of times a day...keeping them in a dark warm place. When the root appears its time to plant in dirt.....worked for me but there is more than one way to germinate a mango...as the saying goes.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

Thank you for the excellent responses. From the replies it appears there 2 ways of doing this planting a cutting and planting a seed.

Come the right time I will try a couple of each method and see what happens.

It’s gratifying to know I’m not the only “tree grower” around.

Dave 111223 Why would I do it the easy way when the hard way is more interesting and challenging, besides any money not spent goes towards the beer fund. :o

Thanks All

D.D.

You could probably buy a spouted one for like 20baht. (So not much extra money for the beer fund)

I bought a coconut that had a little spout coming out for 20baht, and i have enjoyed watching it grow; despite the fact that i cheated and didn't do it the hard way :D