ไหม And หรอ

jaithai

My tilac recently used หรอ at the end of a question. When I tried to get her to explain the difference between using หรอ and using ไหม to indicate a question, she gave some examples but I couldn't understand when one uses one and when one uses the other. Can someone please explain the difference and when to use each?

My tilac recently used หรอ at the end of a question. When I tried to get her to explain the difference between using หรอ and using ไหม to indicate a question, she gave some examples but I couldn't understand when one uses one and when one uses the other. Can someone please explain the difference and when to use each?

hi there,

use ไหม to form a question in general

use เหรอ or หรือ (or หรอ is another variant in the spoken language) to express mild surprise that something is the case (or sometimes to form a rhetorical question when you already know the answer)

eg.

จะไปไหม = are you going?

จะไปเหรอ = you're going, are you? (or in english we might say "oh, you're off?"

แม่มาแล้วเหรอ = mum's here, is she? (mildly surprised)

มาแล้วเหรอ = oh, you're here?

all the best.

Edited by aanon

I think you mean หรือ you forgot the vowel. It depends on the context it can mean or, but placed at the end of the sentence I think it's the same as ไหม

Actually, I did forget the vowel. The word she used is: เหรอ

yes, my gf uses it like aanon has explained.

another thing is, i often get questions asked that are formed like 'reu xxxx' , you know the usual 'gin khao reu yang?' or 'ja bpai reu bplao?'.

i thought that sometimes it may be a shortened version of those types of questions; eg. i have it in phrase books and think i occassionally hear - 'sabai dee reu?'

i guess in english it could be like shortening 'are you going or not?' to 'are you going, or?'

is that another usage?

I think 'sabai dee mai?' is used as a polite form of inquiry -- like the English 'How are you?' You don't expect more than a cursory response, such as 'Fine.'

'sabai dee reu?' is used when you sincerely want to know what is happening with the person. Be prepared to hear details regarding health, etc.