Thai Spouse Returning to Thailand Guide

Here is a Rough guide for separated foreigners with thai spouse and family Trying to get back into thailand.  I came in from USA and am in quarantine right now.  It was a very difficult process with a lot of moving parts, it’s a work in progress for them, with things changing constantly.  I already had a spouse visa that had not expired, which made it slightly easier.

- Apply online at thai consulate for the Certficate of Entry (COE).  You will need to submit several documents.

$100,000 health insurance.  You need to obtain this before you apply, they are checking and won’t let you move forward without proof of insurance.

Plane ticket reservation.  This one made no sense because whatever reservation you have will currently not get you into the country because all they have right now are government charters.  The only way to get on the list for a gov. charter is to show them your plane reservation that you will probably have to end up cancelling.  I had a return ticket for April, that was cancelled, and I changed it to Aug when I found out they were letting spouses back in.  Only then did they let me know I was on a list and to contact certain travel agents to get on a charter flight, which I had to pay for.  And now I am looking to get a refund on my original ticket.  Not sure if they are still requiring this, but I had to go through this.

Confirmed hotel reservation.  You have to pay For the quarantine hotel before they issue the COE.  I was very weary putting up non refundable money before I got COVID results timing correct.

Marriage certificate, spouse ID, some other easy stuff.

- After they approve everything and you get your plane ticket, they issue the Certificate of Entry (COE).

- Get a Fit to Fly document.  I went to a doctor on a list they provided in my state.  All he did was take blood pressure, read my pulse, ask me simple health questions, and then issue me a written document saying I am healthy, not sick, and patient is Fit to Fly.  Those exact words need to be written by the doctor.  Must be done within 72 hrs of flying.  

- COVID 19 test.  This one is the trickiest.  I was lucky enough to find somewhere that got me results within 48 hrs.  Some states are backed up like crazy.  They are saying within 72 hrs of when the results are issued, not when test was taken, but you never know, they can change their mind.

At least they stopped requiring these two items to be uploaded to the consulate before you got the COE.  Now just printed copies or originals are required before boarding the plane, along with the COE.  

Final advice is if you don’t need to come, just wait.  It’s too hectic and very expensive.  There were way more immigration and healthcare workers at the airport screening us than people actually on the plane.  We were mixed in with Thais returning home.  

"Plane ticket reservation.  This one made no sense because whatever reservation you have will currently not get you into the country because all they have right now are government charters.  The only way to get on the list for a gov. charter is to show them your plane reservation that you will probably have to end up cancelling.  I had a return ticket for April, that was cancelled, and I changed it to Aug when I found out they were letting spouses back in.  Only then did they let me know I was on a list and to contact certain travel agents to get on a charter flight, which I had to pay for"

They have changed that requirement - it's no longer needed to have a "bogus" plane ticket to be allowed to proceed.

Edited by unheard