Buying Scooter

I've search for this topic I swear. I'm moving and need to buy a small scooter to get up and down the soi and to the BTS station. Do I need a motorcyle license? How do I get one? I've been told different stories that it depends on how many cc's the bike has. True? Same as drivers license? I don't have a valid drivers license as I stupidly let it expire a couple of years ago. Thanks for any help! Anybody selling a small scooter?

I've search for this topic I swear. I'm moving and need to buy a small scooter to get up and down the soi and to the BTS station. Do I need a motorcyle license? How do I get one? I've been told different stories that it depends on how many cc's the bike has. True? Same as drivers license? I don't have a valid drivers license as I stupidly let it expire a couple of years ago. Thanks for any help! Anybody selling a small scooter?

As a farang I'd get a dr. lic. Look at top of forum for info.

Yes you have to have a licence to buy it because the register it when you buy it.Better to buy a used one because it will already have a tag on it. basically just drive away on it.If it is new you have to go get a tag and registration. I had cash in my pocket but i still had to have my wife come sighn for it and show her drivers license. Getting a thai drivers license seems to be easy although i havent got mine yet because you have to forefiet your old one.good thing for you because yours is going to expire.so valid drivers licence and a visa other than a tourist visa.you can call them they have an english number.just google thai drivers licence

There seem to be two separate issues here:

a. You need a driver's license to operate a motor vehicle legally on public streets. It's best to get a Thai DL.

b. You do not need a Thai DL to purchase a new motorcycle. At least, I didn't have one for three years, and they didn't ask to see my Texas DL, and the bike's always been in my name.

Of course, they change the operating rules on a whim.