USA 2020 Elections - Thoughts and fears

As an expat here for almost 20 years, I am not missing the elections this year. Talks of mail-in ballots, Covid issues at polling stations, 2 aging candidates with ideals that do not benefit (my opinion) the younger generation, vitriol, etc etc.

2020 will be a year to remember. What are you all doing? Voting? Ignore? Go back?

59 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

What are you all doing? Voting? Ignore? Go back?

Those questions can be answered in this topic.

But if political discussions start they will be removed or the topic will be closed. They are not allowed on this forum. See the pinned topic about them.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Those questions can be answered in this topic.

But if political discussions start they will be removed or the topic will be closed. They are not allowed on this forum. See the pinned topic about them.

Agreed. As civilized as possible.

It is likely that the election will be a shambles.  States that formerly received mail-in ballots amounting to 6% of the total will now have to count mail-ins up to 60% of the total.  They will not be able to do so in a timely manner if at all.  Because of the pandemic there won't be enough volunteers to run the polling places resulting in fewer than normal polling places, long lines, and voters who never get a chance to vote before the polls close.  The results will not be available on Nov. 3 or Nov. 4, which will undermine confidence in the integrity of the election.

We are already hearing charges of voting fraud even before the election.  So, I think we can probably expect street violence and possibly a political impasse.

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

I assume one has to register in a specific State, given the Electoral College?

Is there any downside (tax, jury duty, etc.) to doing this?

You can only vote in the last state in which you resided before moving abroad.  Yes, there may be downsides.  Many states including voting among the factors that they consider in deciding whether you are exhibiting an intent to return to your former state in future.  If they determine that you have such intent then you are liable for state income tax from the time you left including penalties and interest for late payment.  The likelihood of such an outcome may be low, but it's hard to know.

I have been voting by email for decades, no problems. I get my ballot way in advance of election day, I vote as soon as I get it, my voter registrant office will inform me by email that they received my ballot. I have already received my  Voter Education Guide a week ago, one must vote by email or fax this year because of the virus international mail is not likely to be delivered on time. Only will be a problem to those that wait for the last minute to vote. My state dose not count ballots received after election day, differs according to the states many go by postmark before 11-3-2020.

• 2 weeks later...

This campaign has been going on 4 years already. My fear is the mail in thing is going to trigger infinite challenges and we won't have a winner for months. After that the winner won't be considered legit by the either side whichever side that may be. 

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 1