ก็ tone

nagiewont

Why is ก็ pronounced with a falling tone?

1. ก is a middle class consonant

2. The syllable is dead because of the short vowel /-aw/

Why the tone is falling instead of low? If there's no tone mark the only case of a falling tone requires a low class consonant, so how did we ended up with a falling tone for a mid class consonant ก?

image.png.301c380b4b03e056c119ace5c7fd3128.png

You are mistaken about the pronunciation.  It's pronounced /kɔ̂ɔ/ (or /ก้อ/ in phonemic Thai).  It is very much an exception and doesn't follow the rules.

It's also not a dead syllable - it doesn't end in a glottal stop.

Edited by Oxx

This interests me, Oxx is probably correct as to the tone of ก็ when used as a conjunction.  The only way to be sure would be to use the one mark ไม้โท over the ไม้ไต่คู้ which isn't done. 

ก็ is how it is written, the vowel symbol  อ็ (ไม้ไต่คู้)  Is used to show the short form of สระ ออ as in ล็อก ล+เอาะ + ก 

Glottal stop or not คำตาย is described as คำสระสั้นที่ไม่มีตัวสะกด which puts ก็ in the แม่กา, (no closing character) group for tone purposes,  so เสียงเอก (low) .  I just say it that way and it attracts no comment from native speakers. Try saying ก็ได้ (falling- falling) it sounds quite different from ก็ได้  I hear. 

incidentally I have a plasticised chart published by a company with the logo KH (knowledge House) บ้านความรู้, which describes นำ้ as being in the แม่กา group because อำ (อัม) is treated as a short vowel In the same way as ไอ and ใอ (อัย) both of which are considered แม่กา even though they clearly have a closing consonant and in practise are not treated as short vowels eg. ไม้ .  
So expect controversy if you want to tie people down in the manner of their speech or comment on the inclusion of อัว ไ ใ อำ เอา ฤ ฤา ฦ ฦา as vowels.  

Edited by tgeezer