Modern Light Switches and Electrical Sockets

CNX69

Since I am getting older, I have been considering wifi switches (Smart Switches). Unfortunately, None of my friends living in Thailand use smart switches because they are younger and smart. 

Yes, internet search is ok but I still prefer to see the real thing

Be aware they may not work without wire change from what I have read (may require both live and neutral for power).  Many lights here will only be one wire at box.  Others say may or may not work without extra wire.  So be a bit cautious before spending too much.

26 minutes ago, CNX69 said:

but I still prefer to see the real thing

Here you go  using a Raspberry PI to flash some Sonoff smart switches with Tasmota firmware

get rid of that horrid Chinese spyware   ????

P_20190119_170228.thumb.jpg.365bb24696560357ebbbdd7f9ba0407b.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, johng said:

Very cheap to try one out  from about 200 baht delivered to your door.

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?from=suggest_normal&q=sonoff wifi switch&location=local

Just watched a video on YouTube. Really a great product for next to nothing. Can be switched from everywhere in the world where internet is available and not only at your home. 

As said may not be all that easy - may need special electric supply and larger than normal box.  Something else to fail on a power glitch.  

But admit I do not use a smart phone and have no need for one (and my fingers do not conduct well when using so even hard to answer a call).   Below work for me.

image.jpeg.aac2be30c4e7ea4996c40f47a826edb6.jpegimage.jpeg.2c92e437410df344ce5295f28efb7086.jpeg

• Sad 1

It looks like the best solution for the OP is one of those wall switches with capacitance tough and they can be controlled with remote or 'smart'phone'.

https://shopee.co.th/Light-Remote-Control-LED-Light-Switch-Tempered-Glass-Panel-2Gang-Touch-Smart-Home-White-i.27637280.5344243288

That way, if the 'remote' is hiding under one of the pillows or unable to be used, a simple tap on the wall the light still can be switched.

Some of these plates can work without the need for the neutral wire.

(It gets the bit juice it need by using a capacitor at one of the light points.)

This site (in Thai, and English annotations) has nice explaining video and pictures.

https://www.livingdewise.com/product/254/wall-wi-fi-switch-with-rf-function-no-neutral-needed-1-gang-แป้นสวิตช์สัมผัส-wifi-แบบ-1-ช่อง-ไม่ใช้ส

3 hours ago, Metropolitian said:

Some of these plates can work without the need for the neutral wire.

(It gets the bit juice it need by using a capacitor at one of the light points.)

This site (in Thai, and English annotations) has nice explaining video and pictures.

https://www.livingdewise.com/product/254/wall-wi-fi-switch-with-rf-function-no-neutral-needed-1-gang-แป้นสวิตช์สัมผัส-wifi-แบบ-1-ช่อง-ไม่ใช้ส

They may or may not work from my reading elsewhere - add that they will likely not fit normal outlet box and still have room for wires makes it questionable for renovation - and I would have concerns even for new with the amount of lightning close hits we have in Thailand (but have not checked - perhaps they have protection).

35 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

They may or may not work from my reading elsewhere - add that they will likely not fit normal outlet box and still have room for wires makes it questionable for renovation - and I would have concerns even for new with the amount of lightning close hits we have in Thailand (but have not checked - perhaps they have protection).

That style of switches will work, though the ones we have do not have WiFi they are produced by a Thai company. They use RF remotes and can have many connected, they fit into standard boxes, don’t need neutrals to the boxes and have one version of the remote that can control up to 27 switches or devices.

Left is on right is offE2602754-D481-4002-991B-CA05B50154F8.thumb.jpeg.d1bc1d328c7d4f5014fcd22bf72b5f2c.jpeg