Russian Invasion

helicoptor

As an American, one of the things I like best about Thailand is that there are not that many other Americans here!

JR Texas: I think you are responding to something I said earlier. In fact, I agree with you and would take it a step further: I miss the days when I rarely saw any farangs expats in Thailand......those were, in my opinion, the real "good old days."

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't actually give a flying fig what the ''US contingent'' think of the Russians....Thailand is not their country any more than it is British or Aussie. If the Thai authorities allow Russians visa fee entry then that is their business... I am sure that there is some quid pro quo involved, maybe in trade links.

Whether allowing Russian mafia elements to establish themselves is a good idea however I am not so sure. Spain has found out to its' cost what that involves.

They don't call white people European American.

Some of us Brits do. To us the Americans are the few native Americans that are left after the European Americans went over there and killed them and took over their country.

I love Russians. They are the best people in the world to party with. Their women are very beautiful and exceptionally spoiled. I was married to a Russian doctor for six years. The experience was so disastrous that I turned bisexual and I'm now in a great relationship with a Thai ladyboy. I thank my ex-Russian wife every day!!!!

Interesting :o

LaoPo

I was drinking solo at a bar many months ago, a russian dude started a conversation with me, etc..

Chatted about vodka, he ended up buying me vodka shots, etc.. Then, his friends came in (one russian girl & guy) invited me to a club, bought me more drinks, & were very nice cool generous people!!

:o

They didn't even accept payment for any drinks that night, one dropped me off at my hotel on his motorbike, & that was that..

However, I have just watched the Russian working women here & they seem very to themselves, etc. I never see them interacting with non russians..

My point is treat everyone as separate individuals..

I guess they really want to be like Americans but it comes across all wrong as they are probably only trying to imitate what they see from US movies.

As we are the "role model" for the rest of the world there are a lot of nationalities like that but the "American Dream" is not available to everyone ... :D

:o yeah right Vietnam iraq somalia to name but a few

I am very plesantly suprised, on a resent trip to Penang I saw what I have to describe as the most attentive man I have ever seen, he was Russian and traveling with 6 Russian girls, he never left their side , kept all their pasports, went to the toilet with the whole bunch and stood guard outside the door, he was making room for them all near the kiosk in the airport so he could see them all the time while he went to buy softdrinks for the girls, he made sure they where first in line to get on the plane so they could choose the best seats close together.

The whole thing repeated itself on the return trip the next day, then all the girls had little souvenir bags from the same shop, I was a bit sorry for the girls only to have had 1 day in Penang but then it dawned on me that they properly where rich enough to just take a 1 day turist trip to Penang, the man was big and looked very intimidating and that was properly god now he had to protect the yung rich girls on their hollyday, I must say that if all Russians are like that I am very impressed, and can only hope Pattaya to will get its share of nice Russian turists like that.

Oddly enough one of my friends insists he saw 20- 30 Russian girls just like that in walkingstreet the other day, and to top it all of he claims he saw a couple of Russian men looking just like the one I had seen on the Penang trip, but he must offcause be wrong that is to much of a coincidence. :o:D:D

:D

PS. How nice it would be if the Americans could show people of the same high quality here in Pattaya, I have heard Italian Americans have some fitting the bill. :D

Edited by larvidchr

I am American and I come to Thailand for a change in... well.... Everything... I enjoy others from other lands because they sometimes speak English so well that it is a joy to speak freely with someone that can understand every word you say, beyond that I try to shy away from other Non-Asian people. I do this because I am selfish and I want to enjoy Thailand and the Asian surroundings and I find it is best enjoyed in the company of the Thai people or other Asians. Being in the personal company of others.... Say White or Blacks (as an example) tends to interrupt the magic/fantasy of my vacation of enjoying all things/times Thai.

There are times that I will notice rude people doing rude things but I don't assume they are rude because of their nationality although I do try to make note of their nationality to use later as a jibe or good natured observation when having an exchange of humor with another of the same nationality...

As far as the Russians go, I think most Americans respected the Russian People but did not care much for the men in charge. (I will end it here to leave room for the snappy jibes at America).

Americans and Russians, same same but different

Isn't that like saying ppl from the UK are same same with Ossies?

That's not the right way of looking at it!

We are all different, even ppl from the same countries!

same-same, my asss! :o

I am American and I come to Thailand for a change in... well.... Everything... I enjoy others from other lands because they sometimes speak English so well that it is a joy to speak freely with someone that can understand every word you say, beyond that I try to shy away from other Non-Asian people. I do this because I am selfish and I want to enjoy Thailand and the Asian surroundings and I find it is best enjoyed in the company of the Thai people or other Asians. Being in the personal company of others.... Say White or Blacks (as an example) tends to interrupt the magic/fantasy of my vacation of enjoying all things/times Thai.

There are times that I will notice rude people doing rude things but I don't assume they are rude because of their nationality although I do try to make note of their nationality to use later as a jibe or good natured observation when having an exchange of humor with another of the same nationality...

As far as the Russians go, I think most Americans respected the Russian People but did not care much for the men in charge. (I will end it here to leave room for the snappy jibes at America).

I agree Paul, I'm the same way, when I come to a country, I like to mingle with the ppl of said country, and some times, you can't ignore talking with other farangs, as long as they aren't some "Im better that you" type ppl, those you shrug off in a nice way!

I am very plesantly suprised, on a resent trip to Penang I saw what I have to describe as the most attentive man I have ever seen, he was Russian and traveling with 6 Russian girls, he never left their side , kept all their pasports, went to the toilet with the whole bunch and stood guard outside the door, he was making room for them all near the kiosk in the airport so he could see them all the time while he went to buy softdrinks for the girls, he made sure they where first in line to get on the plane so they could choose the best seats close together.

The whole thing repeated itself on the return trip the next day, then all the girls had little souvenir bags from the same shop, I was a bit sorry for the girls only to have had 1 day in Penang but then it dawned on me that they properly where rich enough to just take a 1 day turist trip to Penang, the man was big and looked very intimidating and that was properly god now he had to protect the yung rich girls on their hollyday, I must say that if all Russians are like that I am very impressed, and can only hope Pattaya to will get its share of nice Russian turists like that.

Oddly enough one of my friends insists he saw 20- 30 Russian girls just like that in walkingstreet the other day, and to top it all of he claims he saw a couple of Russian men looking just like the one I had seen on the Penang trip, but he must offcause be wrong that is to much of a coincidence. :o:D:D

:D

PS. How nice it would be if the Americans could show people of the same high quality here in Pattaya, I have heard Italian Americans have some fitting the bill. :D

Is it possible what you observed was what is known as 'Human Trafficking?" or am I way off speculation

Is it possible what you observed was what is known as 'Human Trafficking?" or am I way off speculation

Gee Mate , your quick off the mark today! :o

I was just thinking what a nice bloke he sounded!

I take everyone as I find them so one day I am sure I will meet a Polite , sober , quietly spoken Russian .

I just haven't yet and I have unfortunately met a lot in Patts!

The women are like the worst of western tarts in there aggressive attitude and both sexes seem to think the way to get respect is to shout and bully everyone round them .

I was at the Asia hotel a few times and the way they treated the staff was appalling .

They seem to treat someone serving them as a slave 'beneath there feet ' !

They didn't even tip !

The strange thing is that the Germans in Spain had the reputation for rudeness and arrogance a few years ago and my own observation showed it to be often true .

When I visited Germany however , I found the people to be amongst the politest and most civilised I have ever met .

Maybe it is just some sort of 'tourist mentality' with some people . I know from my years in the hotel and catering trade that the 'finger snappers' were the ones who saved all year to go there and over compensated for what I assume was a feeling of inadequacy to cope with the place !

The customers who had money, overall, were a pleasure to serve , as they didn't feel the need to show staff who was boss. They knew they were but appreciated professionalism and good will in those serving them .

Edited by swanks