'Do you really need to party?' WHO asks world's youth

webfact

11 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:

Actually, according to the BBC from March 1 to May 31 "The number of deaths in Thailand has been 2% higher than average, with about 2,400 more people dying than usual." This excludes the month of February when things had already kicked off here with the first reported case on Jan. 31.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-53073046

Yes, your link states 

"In a similar pattern, all-cause mortality data have revealed a higher than average number of deaths in March that returned to normal levels in April and May."

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Yes, your link states 

"In a similar pattern, all-cause mortality data have revealed a higher than average number of deaths in March that returned to normal levels in April and May."

Yes, but there were excess deaths before then so most likely the ones in March (or many of them) were the result of covid and no data for February. The measure that were enacted helped but came late. They were definitely not timely. Action should have come in January as it did in many other countries, Taiwan, Korea and Vietnam being good examples.

The fact that there were no excess deaths in April and May doesn't negate the earlier excess deaths and make them 0.

Edited by vermin on arrival

24 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

Yes, but there were excess deaths before then so most likely the ones in March (or many of them) were the result of covid and no data for February. The measure that were enacted helped but came late. They were definitely not timely. Action should have come in January as it did in many other countries, Taiwan, Korea and Vietnam being good examples.

The fact that there were no excess deaths in April and May doesn't negate the earlier excess deaths and make them 0.

So if IYO Thailand were at fault to taking emergency measures too slow , you must also think that emergency measures shouldnt be lifted too early and that the borders should remain closed and no foreigners allowed into Thailand until the World is Corona free

18 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

So if IYO Thailand were at fault to taking emergency measures too slow , you must also think that emergency measures shouldnt be lifted too early and that the borders should remain closed and no foreigners allowed into Thailand until the World is Corona free

No I believe they should be done with adequate, measured, and sensible precautions. Tests on either side and 14 day quarantine and mandatory tracking, maybe making it easier for people from low infections, or some such regulation. That should be sufficient and would probably have been successful here earlier. (Visitors from Mainland China should have been stopped from visiting in January probably all over the world and might  have nipped this thing in the bud)Taiwan, Korea and Hong Kong (and others) had very measured approaches early which were quite successful.

For now the whole world is giving the extremely wealthy, VIPS, and the well heeled business travelers a pass and screwing the average people who are stuck outside of where they need to be, etc.; this should change. The completely closed borders and total lockdown both seems and seemed draconian and is destroying many lives, mine included. A balance must be made between disease prevention and economic/life destruction.

The later draconian policies were required in some instances due to the laissez faire attitude which took place prior. Certainly there was a lack of transparency and denial in many places about the severity of the situation, and also deliberate misinformation coming from China in an attempt to cover things up.

Edited by vermin on arrival

It doesn't matter whether its the younger or older generations - although it seems to be mainly the younger, we all have a duty to ensure our actions do not have an adverse impact on others. That is especially true when that impact could mean death.

There is no excuse for the behaviour of some people during this pandemic.  My neighbour to the West is my daughter, her husband and my 3 grandkids.  During the full lockdown all I could do was talk to my grandkids through the window, I couldn't play with them, give them a hug......nothing. Contrast that to my neighbour to the East who had their grown up kids visit them several times, an elderly relative visit on at least 2 occasions when she should have been self isolating due to her age and friends visit often -  totally ignoring all the rules. 

Why should my neighbour to the East, their family and friends, have the right to put anyone else at risk?  Why should the kids who attended raves in Machester etc. have the potential to take the virus home to their parents? I wonder how they'd feel if they did and one of their parents died as a result of their actions? That will almost certainly have happened many times and if it could be proved (almost impossible), would it not be at the very least - manslaughter?

The fact is that none of us have the right, either legally or morally to let our actions impact upon others. Its called responsibility - something that seems to be missing in many of the post I've read here. Unfortunately, some people are irresponsible and don't give a damn.  No, they don't need to party, they don't need to visit relatives etc. If I could behave myself and stick to the rules, why couldn't my neighours to the East?  They at least are a couple - my wife and home are in Thailand, I haven't seen my wife for nearly 5 months.  It hasn't been easy, yes I've wanted to go out, to have normal human interactions but the situation dictates that I can't - so I keep myself busy and accept my responsibility.

I've worn a mask in public since I arrived in the UK in early March. When I visited a supermarket back then people laughed and sneered, one even commented - now its the law to wear a mask in shops here. As I explained to the idiot who commented on my mask, I wore it to protect him from me, not vice versa.

Its because some people are irresposible that we need to have laws (enforced). By way of example, why does Thailand have such an appalling record on traffic accidents and deaths on its roads? Is it because of bad drivers or the law (lack of)?  There are bad drivers everywhere and if there's very little law enforcement there will clearly be more.  Its nothing to do with them being Thai or their bad driving - its because there's a general lack of laws and law enforcement. Even where there are laws, they are either not enforced or the (relatively) small fines - shall we just say. don't make it into the public coffers. 

It was reported on the news recently that in the state of Victoria, Australia - 800 people that had tested positive for Covid 19 were not at home when the police tried to contact them, 800 postive people!  Now it appears that the Australian police are cracking down on this behaviour and dishing out large fines.

I'd like to know how over 2000 young people can attend a 'Rave' in Manchester and the police be unable to stop it? What is this - anarchy?

Some people are irresponsible and don't care what they do - if the laws in the UK had been tougher, if the laws we do have had been enforced, there is no way this virus could have spread like it has.  I don't want to see troops on the streets, I don't want the UK to become a virtual 'Police State' - but these are exceptional times and if that's what's necesarry to prevent me from being killed by the actions of others - so be it.

No, young people don't need to party - nobody does but unless the rules are enforced, they will.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2

On 8/7/2020 at 3:58 AM, Meat Pie 47 said:

I wonder if he has ever been to a public hospital in Thailand

people sleeping on the floor, dogs roaming in wards but of course

it is the best if you come from another 3rd world country

Have they got rid of the water cooler in the lobby that uses one communal cup for anybody getting a drink? When I saw that I thought to myself who in their right mind would drink from that?

Yes I have actually seen this in rural Thailand.

Edited by Cryingdick

883874119_ScreenShot2020-08-09at08_51_29.jpg.50b5b1ff0176a12f69beb637b0409395.jpg

All those people flouting the rules in Bournemouth lead to a massive spike in infections and deaths over the following weeks. Not.

96072291_ScreenShot2020-08-09at08_54_40.jpg.d440fb068f7f259b3489592b1b682b3e.jpg

939313159_ScreenShot2020-08-09at08_53_10.jpg.5d359bca366eb10333f18e8b55918cdb.jpg

(From https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/cases)

If you seal your country off indefinitely (Thailand, New Zealand, North Korea, Bhutan) it is possible to stop local transmission. As soon as travel without supervised quarantine is allowed, Covid will be back. Governments should focus on strategies to re-start economies and open schools and universities, and management of the Covid outbreaks that will inevitably occur. Lockdown protected the vulnerable, but for how long and at what cost to the 80%+ who have little to nothing to worry about but also form the backbone of a national economy?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scammed said:

do WHO really need to exist ?

they contribute to group think and devastating policies,

and charge high salaries for it.

how about de funding them ?

One recalcitrant member don’t matter much to WHO. They don’t lead in the world in much of anything. 

17 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

As long as WHO don’t include those 250k middle aged bikers. Party on bros. 

image.jpeg.bc0fcf61c54ea234fb31b79752fa8565.jpegimage.jpeg.4721d1ea2f66a5fb257b66c23369ad17.jpeg

Nice to see there are peaceful ways to spread the virus and you don't need to riot to do it. The people of Sturgis thank you for your business and not burning their town down.

7 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Nice to see there are peaceful ways to spread the virus and you don't need to riot to do it. The people of Sturgis thank you for your business and not burning their town down.

Trying to be funny?

Try harder!

• Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 3:30 AM, BKKBike09 said:

All those people flouting the rules in Bournemouth lead to a massive spike in infections and deaths over the following weeks. Not.

Possibly not in Bournemouth but infections are rising in other areas where social distancing has either not taken place or been loosely adhered to. Note that some lockdown measures have been re-introduced in the Greater Manchester area where a lot of illegal raves took place. Also in Scotland where one of the main factors has been the opening of bars.

The fact that is doesn't seem to have happened in Bournemouth lends credence to the view that the likelihood of infection is at it greatest indoors.