Seafood Resturants

Mahseer

I used to frequent the seafood restaurant that sat in front of O'Malleys in Anusarn market until they got shut down and still frequent another ex Anusarn restaurant that is now part of Galare (Kalare?) off Changklan but struggling for a new place to explore. Ran a search and nothing recent came to light so where do you folks recommend for seafood here in CM? I fully understand that there will be limitations with our distance from the open ocean but I would expect there to be one or two gems out there that I need to find.

Only name I know is Andaman Seafood on Mahidol but have yet to visit so is this on the recommended list?

Thanks

Some members of staff from the restaurant you used to frequent are now working at the new seafood market on the right hand side about half way through Anusarn. Food is not bad, but not up to the old place. (I gather the owner of that restaurant is still looking for premises to reopen.)

I have been to one or two other places, such as Nang Nual in Nong Hoi, but been severely disappointed. Now that Anusarn restaurant is no longer there, I much prefer to purchase fresh seafood and cook it myself.

seafood ,

sometime is funny , when most fish and prawn here is fresh water stuff , little real seafood is found in chiangmai .for the simple fact that the closest sea maybe 500km or more away ( just guessing the nearest sea )

so chaingmai is relaly not the best place to have seafood and sashimi

cos none is really fresh -

the closest you get is frozen at least a overnight .

The fresh water fish Tumtim . is nice , and many place you can get i love the steam tuntim with lime .

and can finsh the whole fish alone .

crab is not that nice and usually water of money .

the big headed prawn is not that tasty when not cook correctly . and usually over price .

over all . chaingmai is not really a place to have season .

try Phuket .

phuletwould have some of the freshes seafood in thailand so is rayong

seafood ,

sometime is funny , when most fish and prawn here is fresh water stuff , little real seafood is found in chiangmai .for the simple fact that the closest sea maybe 500km or more away ( just guessing the nearest sea )

so chaingmai is relaly not the best place to have seafood and sashimi

cos none is really fresh -

the closest you get is frozen at least a overnight .

The fresh water fish Tumtim . is nice , and many place you can get i love the steam tuntim with lime .

and can finsh the whole fish alone .

crab is not that nice and usually water of money .

the big headed prawn is not that tasty when not cook correctly . and usually over price .

over all . chaingmai is not really a place to have season .

try Phuket .

Good to see your English is improving Maxie........ :o

I used to frequent the seafood restaurant that sat in front of O'Malleys in Anusarn market until they got shut down and still frequent another ex Anusarn restaurant that is now part of Galare (Kalare?) off Changklan but struggling for a new place to explore. Ran a search and nothing recent came to light so where do you folks recommend for seafood here in CM? I fully understand that there will be limitations with our distance from the open ocean but I would expect there to be one or two gems out there that I need to find.

Only name I know is Andaman Seafood on Mahidol but have yet to visit so is this on the recommended list?

Thanks

Fish and chips at Mad Dog should save you some walking! :D (Edit: for some reason I confused you with Tiger Beer :D so that comment probably makes no sense! :o )

Fish and chips at the Laughing Leprechaun is excellent.

Nang Nual is often good and sometimes great and sometimes just okay - I believe they have some (all?) of the seafood flown in from Phuket (daily?).

JxP

Edited by JuniorExPat

Only good seafood I have had in Chiang Mai is "Under the Starfruit tree"

Head north on Wangsingkham and it is in the back row of two rows of shophouses before you get to the Superhighway. Maybe someone can explain better than me , haven't been there for a while and it is difficult to explain and not signposted.

The best seafood restaurant in Chiang Mai I reckon is the one in Anusarn market with the big pool of fresh shrimp shipped up almost weekly in the back of a pickup from Bangkok, there not that cheap, but BBQ'd along with a Tab Tim sweet and sour style ( Pla Sam Rod ) and a few other side orders, you can't go far wrong. I find alot of restaurants in BK and Pattaya for example even more expensive than Chiang Mai!

Thanks

My girl friend took me to that big place in Anusarn across from O'Malleys the other night. I wasn't paying attention to what she was ordering and when the bill came it was 1270 BT.! Only drink was one glass of wine. The crab dish alone was 680 BT. The food was quit good though.

I have had good "seafood" at The Ping and Tha Nam both on south Changklan on the river and not expensive. My lesson. Pay attention to what your Thai girlfriend is ordering!

Thanks

Fish and chips at Mad Dog should save you some walking! :D (Edit: for some reason I confused you with Tiger Beer :D so that comment probably makes no sense! :o )

Fish and chips at the Laughing Leprechaun is excellent.

Nang Nual is often good and sometimes great and sometimes just okay - I believe they have some (all?) of the seafood flown in from Phuket (daily?).

JxP

JxP :D I've never had fish and chips at mad dogs !

crabs are pretty expensive here for whatever reason. so i take it back, (after making sure its fresh!) and cook em malaysian style. we enjoy seafood at home quite a bit too. of course i do the cooking. never liked the preparation of sea food chiang mai style.

The absolute best, featured in my magazine in July 2006:

TALK OF THE TOWN

RERT ROT (Tai Ton Mafuang)

Until now, Chiang Mai's best kept secret where celebrities and those in the know go. Unfortunately this restaurant is so hard to find, we are going to have to use up most of this space guiding you! As you drive 200 metres down Wang Singh Kham Road from the Superhighway, you will see a row of shop houses on your left. There will be a break in the shop houses with a small road leading to another row behind. Just go in, and pretty much at the mini-T-junction there will be a scruffy- and empty-looking entrance which will lead you through a dark room and a kitchen till you find yourself in a rickety Ping waterfront restaurant (directly opposite Maha Naga Restaurant) which simply serves the BEST seafood in town - prawns too big to fit in your mouth, soft-as-a-slice-of-cheddar batter-fried calamari, gigantic crabs peppered with spice and super delicious soups. No English menu (point), no prices (by weight), no wines (byob) and no fuss: just great food. A huge meal for two should be around 800 baht, sounds expensive, but the quality of the seafood is bar none. Cheaper dishes are available for tighter budgets.

If you are unclear about the directions, PM me and I will send you a map.

TALK OF THE TOWN

Until now, Chiang Mai's best kept secret where celebrities and those in the know go. Unfortunately this restaurant is so hard to find, we are going to have to use up most of this space guiding you! As you drive 200 metres down Wang Singh Kham Road from the Superhighway, you will see a row of shop houses on your left. There will be a break in the shop houses with a small road leading to another row behind. Just go in, and pretty much at the mini-T-junction there will be a scruffy- and empty-looking entrance which will lead you through a dark room and a kitchen till you find yourself in a rickety Ping waterfront restaurant (directly opposite Maha Naga Restaurant) which simply serves the BEST seafood in town - prawns too big to fit in your mouth, soft-as-a-slice-of-cheddar batter-fried calamari, gigantic crabs peppered with spice and super delicious soups. No English menu (point), no prices (by weight), no wines (byob) and no fuss: just great food. A huge meal for two should be around 800 baht, sounds expensive, but the quality of the seafood is bar none. Cheaper dishes are available for tighter budgets.

TALK OF THE TOWN

There you go. I knew there had to be at least one place in town and thanks very much Pim for posting this. I'm sure if its half as good as you say I will not be the only one interested so any chance of pasting a map here? Telephone number would be wonderful also if you have.

Thanks again.

I can support Pim's suggestion. Being Thai I do love this place so much as the food has the real Thai flavour. My favourite is the calamari. Squid dip in light flour then deep fried. So fresh. Also the soft shell crab stir fried with garlic and black pepper is so deliciious.

The owner flies his seafood in every 1-2 days so they stay fresh. The atmosphere is totally down to earth. Might look a bit tatty and dirty to some but food is prepared fresh and clean.

Love it!!

O dear, it is a rather horrific map. I am sorry, but the gist is that you go up wang singh kham road heading from the superhighway about 200 or so metres, then you will see a row of shop houses to your left, the shops break, offering an entrance into another row behind (by the river). The shop is basically there. Scruffy looking, marvellous flavours.

LOL, Wow, I love your map. :o

One thing though: The place is SOUTH of the Superhighway correct? (Not even sure if it's still called Wang Singh Kham to the North of it, but just checking)

Here's another suggestion for a restaurant on the other side of town from that one: Near the intersection of Suthep Road and the Canal Road. (Payom Market interesection). Place is on the Canal Road, but on the Western side, so where you drive North towards that intersection. This means that when you come from town you'd drive down Suthep Road, turn left on to the Canal Road, then keep driving to what seems like half way to Doi Ithanon for the first U-turn back. . :D Forgot the name but you can't miss it, lots of fishes and seas-crawlies outside. Both open air area and aircon area. Pretty basic environment but nice enough.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao

seafood ,

sometime is funny . . . . over all . chaingmai is not really a place to have season .

try Phuket .

Good to see your English is improving Maxie........ :o

That, Mr. Bill, is exactly the kind of consideration and warmth for which you are so highly regarded.

Visited the seafood restaurant mentioned by Pim and CMwoman last night and the place is indeed excelent and most certainly worth a visit. It did take us 3 passes to find it but referring to Pim's map the 2 rows of townhouses are seperated by just the width of a road and the distance back to the T junction and the restaurant is only 20mts so look for this and you will find it.

Will add coments in the recommended places to eat section.