Getting Married To An Australian Man

Hi there:

I am asking this for a friend who is soon getting married to an Australian man.

He will come to Thailand in November to wed her and then stay here with her. He plans to get a job as a language teacher in Khon Kaen (a province in Northeastern part) where they will be living.

Please advise as to what type of visa is best for him and their situation. Or if you can direct us to the sources of related information, that'd greatly be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

I think he'll have to come in first to get married on a tourist visa, then, after he has the marriage documents assuming a registered marriage, he will have to leave Thailand and apply outside the country for a Non-Immigrant O Visa. He can convert this into a spouse visa when back in Thailand provided he can meet the criteria (funds on deposit, not really sure about this aspect).

Be careful the embassy/consulate he goes to for the O visa will issue one. Sometimes they insist on getting this is your home country. I recently was granted a one year multiple entry O visa in Colombo, Sri Lanka.

Alternatively, a work permit will suffice for the spouse visa but once a year is passed the eligibility to stay in Thailand expires when the work permit expires if he doesn't have a spouse visa.

At least, that's how I undestand things.

He can get a type-O visa before he comes.

Before i came here i got a type-O visa. I put "visiting friends" as reason. Doing this cuts out a couple of steps.

So here were the steps i took:

- Applied for 3 month Type-O visa at home

- Came to Thailand got married

- Extended 3 month Type-O visa for 1 year

I did not need to leave the country.