Making A Thai Will

Davidcharles

Mine cost 5000 baht but was a very simple affair anyway. The firm I used are a very reputable firm. However my understanding coming from the UK is that you also have to make a Will for the UK as a Thai Will even though it is written in English does not apply there.

I don't want to get ripped off (again).

In so much as a Will only comes into effect after you are dead it follows that you are not going to be ripped off.

And if you do, it will surely be for the last time!

I don't want to get ripped off (again).

Any info much appreciated.

Due to the fact that you can not own anything of value here, I would think that your only worry would be what you own in another country and to what you want done with the foreign property's. So my thought would be to make the will in the respective country.

I was advised that I needed an UK, (US) will which had to be translated and registered in Thailand. This covers all bases and makes life considerably easier than having to arrange two, possibly contradictory documents.

It is, however, important to arrange executors in both your country of origin and in Thailand and to give instructions that they should work together.

You have the choice with wills of having them con-current or contradictory. The contradictory variety is designed to supercede all previous wills and make them null and void. The con-current variety is particularly useful in allowing assets held in different geographical regions with differing legal structures to be dealt with seperately.

It is generally deemed sensible to have all of your Thai Assets covered by a will drawn up by a properly qualified Thai legal practitioner, and (although foreign words on the page are legally irrelevant) with paragraph for paragraph translation into your native tongue for the sake of yourself and/or foreign family.

Each will should specify a trusted executor and there should also be a power of attorney (possibly enduring) not just for the event of death, but more importantly for incapacity (e.g. stroke or accident or similar) preventing you from being able to access your own money to pay your bills.

If you don't have any mates or family to provide these trusted roles, you may have to pay a bit more to find legal representation to do it for you.

Always get a couple of recommendations before blindly accepting the first legal team that comes along.

You have the choice with wills of having them con-current or contradictory. The contradictory variety is designed to supercede all previous wills and make them null and void. The con-current variety is particularly useful in allowing assets held in different geographical regions with differing legal structures to be dealt with seperately.

It is generally deemed sensible to have all of your Thai Assets covered by a will drawn up by a properly qualified Thai legal practitioner, and (although foreign words on the page are legally irrelevant) with paragraph for paragraph translation into your native tongue for the sake of yourself and/or foreign family.

Each will should specify a trusted executor and there should also be a power of attorney (possibly enduring) not just for the event of death, but more importantly for incapacity (e.g. stroke or accident or similar) preventing you from being able to access your own money to pay your bills.

If you don't have any mates or family to provide these trusted roles, you may have to pay a bit more to find legal representation to do it for you.

Always get a couple of recommendations before blindly accepting the first legal team that comes along.

Sound advice Emuu. A good friend as executor would provide a measure of certainty that your wants are carried out. But don't stint on the lawyer. It is very hard to argue after your body makes the one way trip to the Wat if things don't go quite as you want.