Land Prices Out In The Sticks.

Lesh

Just like a few members thoughts on a piece of land that is for sale in my TG's village,( Suwannakhuha). The land is 18 rai in total and has three ponds on it which have been used in the past for farming fish, the ponds are roughly 1 rai each. The land has easy concrete road access and a all year around, water and electricity supply. I'm told the owner is selling to pay off his fathers gambleing debts. He is asking 300,000 baht for the land and has already turned down a offer of 200,000 from a local teacher. Still waiting to find out what title the land has and please correct me if i'm wrong, but from what i've been reading on Thai Visa, this isn't a bad price what ever title it has. Not really sure what to do with the land if we were to buy it, its mainly to take care of my GF's mother and farther. Again from what i've been reading on Thai Visa i think a good idea would be to continue the fish farming in the ponds and put a few rai a side for growing some Makua and may be some chilli peppers. Any other idears from members are appricated. Cheers in advance Lesh.

Very hard to make a judgement call on this - like all land in Thailand the value can be affected up or down by a whole load of features, which if not understood in their correct contexte worthless considerations.

So - in nothing but the broadest context: yes, 300K for 18rai doesn;t sound bad. But again, I referr you to the above.

Where you may see a strong plus point here is that if you intend fish farming, you have your water and ponds ready for you to use i.e. that cost is addressed from the start - and that may well make it worth it, not withstanding the true value of the land.

Putting this aside, no matter what any of us say on this forum, your only relaible way to assess that land value accurately is find someone who udnerstands the land value in that area.

... and then lastly - check, check again , and then check again what title you will be getting - and then do what you can to make sure there isn;t someone lurking inthe background with a charge or claim on the land - which shouldbe regsitered at the local land office - so check those documents as well, not just the documents the seller shows you.

make no judgement based on what has already been offfered by another party - that could just as well be a well under market value offer as it could be a market value offer (chances are it's the former - which explains why it was declined).

Good Luck and exercise caution.

MF

Nearly forgot - it's a gambling debt, not so? Who are you buying from - the land owner, or the person who is owed the gambling debt (who quitelikley wil be the person who is holding the title, and therefore may well be the person who is on any registered charge against the land i.e. in other words, if you do buy make sure you are giving the cash to the right person - which in this case may wel not be the regsietred owner bu tthe charge holder. Careful

Edited by Maizefarmer

We bought ten rai with no water or electricity and it is accessed by a narrow dirt road. We paid 180,000 and that was considered a good price. It has a red seal chanote. There is another twelve rai piece about a kilometer away. The road is dirt but it is wider. It looks like a jungle with some mango and old somoh trees. The guy wants 400,000 for it. Land is worth exactly how much someone is willing to pay for it.

The piece you are looking at sounds like a bargain.

We bought ten rai with no water or electricity and it is accessed by a narrow dirt road. We paid 180,000 and that was considered a good price. It has a red seal chanote. There is another twelve rai piece about a kilometer away. The road is dirt but it is wider. It looks like a jungle with some mango and old somoh trees. The guy wants 400,000 for it. Land is worth exactly how much someone is willing to pay for it.

The piece you are looking at sounds like a bargain.

I think waiting on the type of title before discussing price is important. If it is chanote and has year round water then it sounds cheap without knowing any other details.

I concur with others that this seems a good buy.

As for owner of the title, it is quite easy to check, go along with the vendor with his copy of the land documents to the local amphur where they can pull out the original land documents and you can check them there.

I assume that you are aware of the land ownership rules, i.e. your T/G will actually be buying the land?

13 rai sounds quite a large size for your T/G's mother and father to take care of and to grow chillies there will be quite a lot of preparation work (land raising, etc.) to be done. Maybe make part of it a mango orchard?

Hi guys, seems its no go. The title deed is Sor Por Kor, which from what i've been reading can only be transferred to the direct heirs of the person who holds it. Will double check this with a lawyer tomorrow but for now its a no go. Thanks for your input everyone.

Any one have any informatiom on Sor Por Kor land title?

From my experience, only Nor Sor Sam or the Chanoed is safe to put money in, the other titles are a right to use or rent the land from the state, but you dont own it. I had a case in Thepsathit with 20 rai, there got a bit lunken-warm.

Tilapia.

Any one have any informatiom on Sor Por Kor land title?

Thais (only) aged 20 (21?) may own up to 50 rai of Sor Por Kor. The land must be used for agricultural purposes (you cannot develop a golf course on it, for example). At some point in the future, it may be converted into full chanoot...maybe. Sor Por Kor cannot be sold! Since it "cannot" be sold, it cannot be used as surety for a loan...except via the state-owned Bank of Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC).

Heres a link that will help with explanations on land title deeds

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGknE2BzRGFTkA...%2520titles.htm

The link states that Sor Por Kor land "may only be transferred under last will or testament". I'm not sure about that - I believe that it can be transferred within the family (before death), e.g. from parent to child.

Rgds

Khonwan

Heres a link that will help with explanations on land title deeds

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGknE2BzRGFTkA...%2520titles.htm

The link states that Sor Por Kor land "may only be transferred under last will or testament". I'm not sure about that - I believe that it can be transferred within the family (before death), e.g. from parent to child.

Rgds

Khonwan

Yes it can - to next of kin (before or after death) e.g. dad becomes to old to work the land, so he ceedes it his son to use - that would be allowed.

MF