Importing personal meds via DHL

Why Me

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Unless controlled substance it probably doesn't matter what they were so long as (1) a Thai doctor signed off on the need  and (2) unavailable in Thailand,.

Exactly, the two musts.

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

OP congratulations, yours is the first case i know of, of someone actually getting the needed FDA clearance to import meds for personal use. Did you have a specific contact at DHL you worked with that you could share the name and title of? As I somehow doubt taking potluck on whoever answers the phone would go well.

No contacts whatsoever. Got the DHL, Kol, number from google and asked what they needed. Ditto Bkk. Google gave me the 02-3455000 Bkk DHL Express number. Ended up calling several times over the past few weeks (to make sure they were saying the same thing and owing to the delay here) and was helped courteously (by various agents) on all occasions in good English.

They seem a well-trained crew there at DHL. I wouldn't worry about cold calling. As said in my first mail, they brought up the FDA matter themselves and looked over my docs before I gave the thumbs up to my friend in India. My advice: if for whatever reason they don't mention FDA when you call, bring it up yourself, insist that their "import team"  check your stuff first.

Honestly, I am very impressed with DHL. If travel don't ease up before my 90-day supply runs out they will have my business again.

an informative and potentially useful report for many here.   Good of you to take the time .

Iherb uses DHL  and i always get my supplements,  even now pretty short delivery time.

Have also used them in the past........and had much better results than using Fedex

• Like 1

Wanted to add a couple of things:

Today, 3 days after I got the meds, a DHL rep dropped off a thick sheaf of docs at my building, being copies of all the docs (receipts in Kolkata, med certs I had given, customs papers here, etc.) that were presumably generated by the shipment end to end. I am impressed. And should come handy next time when hopefully should be no problem at all.

Re:

On 8/18/2020 at 6:52 PM, Why Me said:
On 8/18/2020 at 6:34 PM, Sheryl said:

Unless controlled substance it probably doesn't matter what they were so long as (1) a Thai doctor signed off on the need  and (2) unavailable in Thailand,.

Exactly, the two musts

I should clarify that I am not 100% sure of (2). My meds are not available here. However, if you are in the situation you want to import something simply because it's a lot cheaper your home country (insurance maybe) check with the DHL helpline 02-3455000 (again ask to be put in touch with someone in the import team if the agent isn't sure). Keep in mind though shipping costs are going be well in excess of $100.

• Like 1

I have been getting all my medicines from India sent EMS every fortnight for the last two years without any problem. They are 1/10 of the price here and I am saving huge amounts of money. I buy them from an Indian pharmacy with no doctors prescription. As long as the packages are small it is okay. The pharmacist takes the medicine out of the boxes and just puts it them in the envelope. I also get a tracking number. The value is always given as under $50 and nothing  else is written on the package. Most of the medicine I get is made by a huge Indian Pharma's company Cipla and it's all genuine.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2020 at 6:25 PM, gamini said:

I have been getting all my medicines from India sent EMS every fortnight for the last two years without any problem. They are 1/10 of the price here and I am saving huge amounts of money. I buy them from an Indian pharmacy with no doctors prescription. As long as the packages are small it is okay. The pharmacist takes the medicine out of the boxes and just puts it them in the envelope. I also get a tracking number. The value is always given as under $50 and nothing  else is written on the package. Most of the medicine I get is made by a huge Indian Pharma's company Cipla and it's all genuine.

$50 is that US or AUS?

How were you able find a reliable pharmacist?

I would just note that I did have a similar experience with DHL, but mine was with Medical Equipment rather than Medication which was also unavailable in Thailand, but in common use elsewhere in the developed world. Mine was for Diabetic Continuous Glucose Monitoring Dexcom G6. The topic title is "Diabetic CGM".

That also noted the need to have Doctor certification and emphasis that the supplies are purely for personal use, but unlike with you, DHL Thailand were in my case utterly inept. Both whilst trying to progress my sent supplies, where they were useless and then after illegally signing for its destruction, trying to wipe the issue away.

The only reason for adding onto your excellent points, which mirrored my own, was that I had to resort to DHL UK to resolve the issue. So if you're having no luck with DHL Thailand, then work with the sending DHL organisation. They were able to have DHL Thailand and customs resolve the issue.

As well as allowing me to successfully send another identical package, they also compensated me for the initial loss, which they admitted was their responsibility.

Edited by w94005m

• 3 months later...
On 8/22/2020 at 11:25 PM, gamini said:

Hi Gamini, this is very helpful info. Would you please share name and contact of the Indian pharmacists and courier you use please. I would be very grateful. 

On 8/18/2020 at 11:22 PM, Why Me said:

I responded here to an earlier thread re "Personal Medication" about using DHL to bring in personal meds from India. I promised an update so here it is. I could have simply continued on the earlier thread but thought a new one is justified given the current times, the state of regular mail and the lousy rep of courier services on TV. I copy my earlier post:

I'm in the process of getting personal use meds DHLed to me from India. These are meds that, Thai doctor confirmed, are not available here, nor are equivalents. Here's what's happened so far.

DHL in Kolkata, India, wanted a recent (within 3 months) script from an Indian doctor plus receipts. And at most a 3 months supply allowed. Done with a tele-consultation from here with a nice doc at a Kolkata clinic (one good with the pandemic is that many clinics seems to be setting up tele facilities) and my friends there will buy the meds from a reputable drug store.

Next called DHL, Bkk, to ask what would happen here. Harder, but not impossible. First rules they sent me (bold mine):

Drugs: prescription

Import under authorized importer only and required import license from Ministry of Public Health. For personal used purpose, there is limited quantity of importation with FDA (Food and Drug Association) consideration after reviewing supporting documentation.

I asked what "supporting docs": details of the med and a script from a Thai doctor saying I need them. I took pics of the meds (the box, tab strips, info leaflet) from the stock I have left, plus went to Bumrungrad for my doc there to certify that I needed the meds. Then mailed these to DHL where the agent told me to wait while she asked her team at Customs to see if it's ok. Next day it was yes. Btw, from talking with agents at DHL (being paranoid I've actually called more than once to make sure they say the same thing) they have their facilitators at Customs and FDA Thailand.

Which is not surprising given the volumes they must deal with.

Now, I am waiting for my Indian friends to drop the meds off at DHL, Kolkata. Yes, I'm aware of the "do not use couriers to ship meds" edict here at TV. Probably made with good reasons. However, I have no choice given that it's pretty much the only way left currently with the situation in India. Fingers crossed, my experience so far at least with the agents has been surprisingly positive but it ain't over till I get my hands on the meds. I will update.

Update: I got the meds today. They were deposited with DHL, Kolkata, on 28/7, arrived Bkk (by way of HK) 3/8 and were delivered to my door today 18/8. The 6 day trip Kok-Bkk I would say is quick given the state of air travel now. After that the 2-week wait was for Bkk customs and FDA clearance. It took time. Apparently (understandably) currently there's always a long line of med shipments awaiting clearance.

DHL takes care of clearing meds provided you give them all necessary docs. Though frustrated by the delay I was impressed with the professionalism of DHL staff. They are easy to get through to on their helpline, English fine. As said above, they have their people assigned to Customs and FDA to deal with any hiccups. In my case, I had sent them a scanned med cert. from my Thai doctor saying I needed the meds. No can do. The agent handling my shipment said customs wants the original certificate and sent a messenger to pick it up.

Expensive? Yes. The shipping charge in Kol was equivalent 2000b. Additional charges I paid today  (sundry = customs + service + registration + ...) was 2200b. The meds actually cost less.

Executive summary: If you don't mind paying bit more for a worry-free delivery go with DHL. Obviously, in more normal times regular mail will be equally reliable and a lot cheaper, but meds are not allowed without permission so you'll have to worry about them flying in under the radar (or getting confiscated). If you do decide to go with DHL (or any courier) be sure to first contact their offices at both ends to see if the meds and your supporting docs pass muster. Because they will be examined.

I need help and advice on getting my homeopathy medicines from India. These are without prescription and available on shelf in Homeopathy shops. I cannot get a Thai doctor certificate for these.

4 hours ago, shelz said:

I need help and advice on getting my homeopathy medicines from India. These are without prescription and available on shelf in Homeopathy shops. I cannot get a Thai doctor certificate for these.

Without a Thai doc certificate I doubt you'll be able to get DHL to clear it through customs in Bkk. They are strict about it. Even a copy of my Thai doc's certificate wouldn't do. They wanted the original.

Your best bet would be to use Indian EMS speed post to Thailand, hoping it flies in  under the radar. I have gotten meds sent me this way too. Basically, the way Gamini describes above by taking the pills out of the strips and stuffing them into an envelope. Obviously, you'll need someone at the Indian end to help.

• 6 months later...

Posted this awhile ago regarding my import of snowboard boots that I had shipped to me along with 2 bottles of ibuprofen gel caps (hard to find here, they mostly only have the tablet version).   Over the counter here and just about everywhere in the world.    Fedex informed me that Thai Customs was holding onto my shipment because I didn't have a license to import medication so they'd have to go through some hoop jumping to help me 'clear' it at x,xxx fee, on top of the duty.    One of the hoops was I had to send my ID card by courier (no copies accepted; so no  way on that) unless I wanted to come and show it to them in person at the Suvarnabhumi (lucky I don't live in Chiang Mai or Phuket).   It really felt like they were just hoping I'd abandon the shipment.   In the end, since I have nothing but time on my hands, I drove up and went through all the steps and paid all the fees and got my boots, spent a whole day doing this.   There was no option to just abandon the meds and let just the boots through.    Lesson learned, I'll just hand carry when I fly or go through the 'hardship' of using local brands as much as possible.

Good luck!  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/13/2021 at 4:30 PM, Heng said:

Posted this awhile ago regarding my import of snowboard boots that I had shipped to me along with 2 bottles of ibuprofen gel caps (hard to find here, they mostly only have the tablet version).   Over the counter here and just about everywhere in the world.

They have this GOFEN brand of Ibuprofen gel caps OTC here in Thailand (made by MEGA (I think Indian controlled company)) here in Thailand.  I sometimes buy it myself. Around 100 baht for 10 x 400 mg gel capsules. Not sure if that would be an alternative.

image.png.e170f67c7453956e9ad72e24cb275326.png

Edited by bkkflyer

Just now, bkkflyer said:

They have this GOFEN brand of Ibuprofen gel caps OTC here in Thailand (made by MEGA (I think Indian controlled company) here in Tahailand.  I sometimes buy it myself. Around 100 baht for 10 x 400 mg gel capsules. Not sure if that would be an alternative.

image.png.e170f67c7453956e9ad72e24cb275326.png

Oh cool.   Hadn't noticed that in the market.  

Thanks!   

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the update, but for the benefit of others let me emphasize that:

1. The medication you needed was unavailable in Thailand

2. The process was costly

I say this because majority of people who post wanting to bring in meds by mail are wanting to do this for meds available in Thailand, as a way of saving money. A person would be unlikely to succeed in getting an FDA permit for a drug available in Thailand, and the whole process of doing this and importing by courier would almost  certainly cost more than buying locally.

For people in that situation, either paying local price or taking their chances with mail order using regular post are the best options.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/22/2020 at 6:25 PM, gamini said:

I don't know how to search for it on Facebook, but there was an older guy here in Chiang Mai who was doing the same thing as you. I forget what meds he was getting but one or two of them were ED meds, I remember that. One day there was a knock at his door. As he explained it, there were a team of police as well as officers from the prosecutors office and the FDA. Apparently the postal service tipped them off to the regular shipments from India and the contents - x-ray??. They informed him that he had broken a number of laws and he was arrested. The way he explained it "It was the biggest mistake of his life". I forget what it cost him to dispose of the matter, but it was a huge amount of money. Be careful!

Edited by elektrified
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, elektrified said:

I don't know how to search for it on Facebook, but there was an older guy here in Chiang Mai who was doing the same thing as you. I forget what meds he was getting but one or two of them were ED meds, I remember that. One day there was a knock at his door. As he explained it, there were a team of police as well as officers from the prosecutors office and the FDA. Apparently the postal service tipped them off to the regular shipments from India and the contents - x-ray??. They informed him that he had broken a number of laws and he was arrested. The way he explained it "It was the biggest mistake of his life". I forget what it cost him to dispose of the matter, but it was a huge amount of money. Be careful!

Without a link to the source, what you claim is just hearsay.

"I forget what meds he was getting but one or two of them were ED meds"

- This sounds like this guy was importing a variety of drugs for pleasure.

This is not the same as Gamini who is obtaining medicine for his own personal use for his health. 

2 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

This sounds like this guy was importing a variety of drugs for pleasure.

This is not the same as Gamini who is obtaining medicine for his own personal use for his health

No difference from Thai FDA point of view. All imported meds need FDA clearance. Which DHL does for you. Of course, an occasional small shipment of some benign prescription med by regular mail can slip through. But you are asking for trouble regardless.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
On 8/18/2020 at 7:04 PM, Sheryl said:

Topic pinned, with thanks to the OP

I will no longer be telling people they need an FDA permit which they cannot get...rather, a permit that, for a price, can be gotten if go through DHL

Thank you for this thread. Last year I purchased a one year supply of meds for personal use from Alldaychemist in India. Mostly Cipla meds for COPD. They were held up in Thai customs and I was instructed to show up at their offices. I took with me all my current meds to show customs they were for personal use only. There was some discussion between several customs people and they came back and told me if I pay the import fees I could keep the meds. I paid (~17%) import tax. The customs people were polite, friendly, and I thought reasonable.

The total cost and hassle all-in did not turn out to be a great savings. But I did get the right meds with the right dosages. Of course, your mileage will vary.

Sorry, not read the above posts in any detail…

As I have already made the importation work for me, here’s my experience…

I looked in to bringing generic meds from India well over one year ago.

My interpretation from advice online was not to use DHL (like too formal/get too much attention?).

The ‘advice’ was to use EMS and get the supplier to hand write my address on the package (printed labels could make it look like an import business?).

The ‘advice’ was to bring in sufficient for one month’s supply as this is considered acceptable by Thai Customs as for “personal use”, but double the amount to say two months’ supply, as if checked no one really is that certain of the dosage.

For me this meant bringing in two small bottles.

Despite my request for a small package, the supplier in India keeps putting my two small bottles into a cardboard box that could contain about 8 or 10 small bottles.

Sometimes, the package arrives 80% squashed, maybe that’s good as Customs can see there is a negligible quantity?

I did not want to change my supplier because I know his generic drug works and is not fake product as occasionally happens.

My findings are that about one in three packages gets stopped by Customs.

I then have to go and pick up.

Customs assess the tax payable simply on what I said I paid for it in India – they have just taken my word for it.

Last time it was different, the latest Customs man wanted to see my Thai doctor’s prescription – I have but was not carrying it; he said next time must show the prescription.

The drug I purchase is generic (made by Natco).

If buying OME they are like 20 times the price (from memory).

In the beginning, I bought a trial one month’s supply one time from a Thai public hospital, and they charged me about 10 times the generic price for drugs that were actually generic (made by Dr.Reddy), and not OME.

I thought that was a bit rich.