Cslox - Now Worse That True Ever Was

TopDogger

Anyone else using CSlox?

For the last 6 months during the day im getting international speeds matching that of a 28.8k modem according to the Mcafee speed test. This is on a supposedly 2mbit / 2048k line.

I've used 56k modems in Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, Vietnam.. All of which are massively faster than CSlox's 2mbit lines. :o Switchin back to True next month.

Fully agree.

I am using Loxinfo 2mbit in the office, even got a TOT line installed to be able to use it - big mistake!!!!

Speed is constantly bad same as yours. On the opposite, my True 2mbit connection at home has improved

a lot in the last months.

Hmm, you should have read my conclusion about it several months back. I was using the CSLox SME type line (more expensive than normal, and supposedly better than normal). At first it was OK, then it just kept getting worse and worse, not to mention the constant disconnects. In the end, it was hardly any better than a 56k line for international traffic (of course local traffic was fine). Constant e-mails to the CS people did nothing, so I terminated the line.

When Loxinfo was just Loxinfo, it was good. Now, it's very very bad.

I'm using True right now. It's not great by any means, and the international speed fluctuates randomly, but at least at times I get the full speed, and at other times it's not quite abyssmal, while costing the same as the CSLox line.

Yup! CSLox became worse than ever in the last few weeks - specially LAST week.

I am on a 4 MB Line an the international bandwidth is around 200 kbps! For this crap I pay 2.600 Baht per month.

When I complain to CSLox, they always blame TOT or ADC (the Adsl provider) and of course MY HARDWARE!

Any good alternatives in BKK available. At least 2MB.

I can't change TOT because my landlord will not allow another company on his premises.

I usually refrain from threads like these for fear of hosing my great service...I've had CSLoxInfo 1,024/512 ADSL service on a TOT foxed line (1,070 baht monthly, incl of VAT, fixed line is 107 baht/mo.) for 2+ years. Absolutely perfect service, 99.9997% uptime, great customer service, wonderful speeds. My torrents run at near wire speed (100 kBps), sometimes exceeding my QoS, uploads often spike way above 512 kbps.

Guest Reimar
Yup! CSLox became worse than ever in the last few weeks - specially LAST week.

I am on a 4 MB Line an the international bandwidth is around 200 kbps! For this crap I pay 2.600 Baht per month.

When I complain to CSLox, they always blame TOT or ADC (the Adsl provider) and of course MY HARDWARE!

Any good alternatives in BKK available. At least 2MB.

I can't change TOT because my landlord will not allow another company on his premises.

Try to get CAT/HINet with G.SHDSL 2.048/2.048 for ~2,800.00 Baht a month. Sharing is 1:5

Packet loss really depends on the alignment of the stars and the fengshui of the time. Really. It's random. Right now, it's behaving OK, and pinging speakeasy gets zero packet loss. Who knows what it will be a few hours from now.

Reimar, do you have a link to that package? Is it widely available in Bangkok? I'd gladly pay that much if it actually delivers even 80% of advertised.

I have been using Loxinfo (or CSLoxinfo) for 7 years now and apart from when I moved house have had no problems whatsoever.

When I moved house I had problems for 3 or 4 days and Loxinfo sent a guy round and within a short time fixed the problem.

CSLoxinfo is rarely down and my downloads are at 426 - 430 kbps for 512 kbps connection.

I forgot to pay the bill once and when I received a letter from the billing department reminding me to pay or they would disconnect, I called them and received a very polite and efficient service from them.

I wouldn't dream of changing to any other provider.

I usually refrain from threads like these for fear of hosing my great service...I've had CSLoxInfo 1,024/512 ADSL service on a TOT foxed line (1,070 baht monthly, incl of VAT, fixed line is 107 baht/mo.) for 2+ years. Absolutely perfect service, 99.9997% uptime, great customer service, wonderful speeds. My torrents run at near wire speed (100 kBps), sometimes exceeding my QoS, uploads often spike way above 512 kbps.

During the day? :o

Mine was lousy throughout the day, only picking up very late at night, and going slow again in the morning. Now, I was paying for a premium service, and getting lousier-than-56k speeds. They couldn't/didn't rectify the situation, so I terminated.

Some people are happy, some aren't. Draw your own conclusion.

Reimar, do you have a link to that package? Is it widely available in Bangkok? I'd gladly pay that much if it actually delivers even 80% of advertised.

I'm not Reimar but there u go:

http://www.cat.net.th/hinet/promotion.html

It's available in most place in Bangkok, I've had them check for 3 locations (Promphong, Sukhumvit 107 and Nana). I'm using it, stability is OK but I prefer True (I've never had True down a single second for 2 years) but I've had CAT down for about 10 hours in 6 months.

Speed? It varies, but at least it doesn't vary to the extreme. It's full speed for me unless it's between 1pm - 5pm weekdays (which I then get about 700-1200kbps down) otherwise, it's 1800-1900kbps. Upload is constantly 1200-1500kbps. Packet loss fo incoming is a small problem (dropped and spiked at last 2 hops, i'd say about 10% average but I think it's by shaping ICMP as bulk/lowest-piority because HTTP out (port 80 out) seems to be quite smooth -- i host a few things on it). Packet loss when pinging/tracing out is 2-3%. But again, I could just be lucky to be in a less 'populated' area.

There's a disconnect every 15 hours that pis_ses me off (because the 2800 baht/month comes with dynamic IP). This is similar to True's 24 hours disconnect.

:o

Edited by paveet

Guest Reimar
There's a disconnect every 15 hours that pis_ses me off (because the 2800 baht/month comes with dynamic IP). This is similar to True's 24 hours disconnect.

paveet;

If you use a Home package as an SME you have to accept that there is some limitation. For Baht 5,500.00 you get the same but with static IP and that is the one you should use for hosting. A 15 h IP chage would't pi-s me off. Other IP's change every 2 or 3 h on home packages but most user didn't realize that!

Firefoxx:

paveet send the link already. But I suggest if you want to use it for constant connection with huge up- and downloads, go for the Packge with static IP. If you do hostings like paveet, go also for the static IP.

If you compare a G.SHDSL package with static IP and 2,048/2,048 for 5,500 a month and a sharing 1:5 with an leased Line 2,048/2,048 for Baht 95,000.00 a month (or 512/512 for 36,000.00 a month), there is a biiiiiiiiiiiig difference!

And the speed?

Take the speed paveet get ~ 1,xxx kbps down and nearly full up and compare with leased line from TRUE 512/512 get below 400 kbps max down (normal max 320 kbps) and 200-250 kbps up and 22 Mbps 700-900 kbps down and 800-1000 up.

So, what the better choice?? and if you on static IP, the speed even is a litle faster as on dynamic IP!

Your refering to daytime use petedk? Also which area are you in? Im in Sathorn which im starting to think is the route of the problem. :o

TopDogger I am in Thong Lor and usually log in around 8 pm without any problems.

Thanks, I already googled it and did the research. It sounds interesting, but dropping down to 700k during the day from 2mbit seems a bit much for something that's supposedly 1:5 share ratio.

There is really no reason for a disconnect every so-and-so hours on an unmetered package. None. Zero. Most ISPs don't do it, even on dynamic IP setups, since again, there is absolutely no reason to do it. There are reasons why you would be annoyed by it, and I am annoyed by it too, even if you don't have a server. I use a P2P program that maxes out at around 20k (yes, only 20k), and rarely at that. It's in queue most of the time, so when a download starts, I'd like it to finish, or else I get kicked to the end of the queue again. What happens if I just got my download started, and the *%)$(%(*@$%)(*&$#%(*) $(*%&$#)(*&%)($#*&%^(+)@#($*)& auto-disconnect kicks in? The download I've been waiting for all day is disconnected, and I wait for another day (or week, or month). I can't begin to tell you how many times the damned disconnect has cut me off.

I'm not a big downloader/uploader. However, I *do* want my downloads to actually be at good speed (not 56k speeds) when I actually am downloading. One of the reasons for this is the P2P program (it's just one reason). I'd also like my uploads to perform when I'm uploading, since I don't want to keep monitoring it. I also don't want the <deleted> disconnect to disrupt my non-resumable uploads when I'm uploading.

We're not really asking for miracles of full speed all the time. That's impossible since we're not paying for 1:1 ratio. We're just asking for at least good speed all the time, without 56k speeds most of the time. I think that's not too much to ask. Again, if the ISPs could get rid of the 1% of users who use 99% of the bandwidth, everyone would be much happier.

Don't see no reason either for disconnects on dynamic IP packages.

I've got a Maxnet (TT&T) dynamic IP package, and my IP address changes maybe a couple of times a month, pretty much only when I have a disconnect resulting from outside influences like a powercut, or when the adsl modem loses sync due to interference on the phoneline...

And yes, speed dropping to 35% of rated speed indicates a bigger contention ratio then 1:5 or at least bad routing/QOS management!

My package is at a contention ratio of 1:12 (I think, depends a little wetter I have to believe the technicians or the ladies at the TT&T office :o) and speed very seldom drops under 70% of rated.

A lot of the speed problems result from bad QOS/ routing set-up, because normally if your contended line is saturated, but somewhere another contended line has some spare capacity, this bandwidth should be redirected to the saturated line. So in short, your 1Mb contended line can go up to a 1.5 mbps line if demand on your line is high and there is another contended line somehwere running at only 512kbps. Basically this is how ISP's can get away with contention ratio's, it's not only the 5 or 15 people sharing your line, the bandwidth can and should be shared on a bigger scale! Otherwise just one heavy P2P downloader could bring down one contended line!

If you use a Home package as an SME you have to accept that there is some limitation. For Baht 5,500.00 you get the same but with static IP and that is the one you should use for hosting. A 15 h IP chage would't pi-s me off. Other IP's change every 2 or 3 h on home packages but most user didn't realize that!

I don't use a home package as an SME, I use a home package as a home user.. I don't actually own a company, I host sites and email as a hobby.

I see no reasons for a 15 hour disconnect, it is a legacy left over from the 56kbps days when ISPs wanted to free up phone lines and some incompetent idiots havent realised that yet. What to free up IPs? Meh. BS. This is a big problem if you game online or wait in line for a file on IRC.

This means extra DDNS setup and extra downtime for me. Even a DNS entry with a TTL of 5 second will cause you about 5-10 minutes average downtime everytime you change IPs. This makes me want to write a formal complaint to CAT and explaining why its unnescessary.

But my point is, for 2800 baht, I think the speed is acceptable. Their QOS setup is a disgrace I must agree though, if that happens on a 1:5 shared pipe.

Edited by paveet

• 4 weeks later...