Solar Powered Outdoor Lights

Cheap ones are usually rubbish. Make sure there is replacement batteries available for the ones you buy.

I brought 3 from Homepro the batteries gave up ghost 1 @  3months 1 @ 5 months and other 8 months.

Luckily my wife worked there years ago and knew management. I got refund on 2 and  1 replaced which is still working after 11 months.

I now hard wired in 2 Led lights cheaper than cost of 2 solar. Electrical run was 20 metres.

Brand is Elektra.

20200822_070353.jpg

20200822_070317.jpg

• Like 1

If you have the option of getting "real" power then mains with a photo switch really is the best option, running costs will be minimal.

Otherwise you do tend to get what you pay for, cheap Chinese = crumby batteries and poor performance.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/22/2020 at 8:01 AM, Crossy said:

If you have the option of getting "real" power then mains with a photo switch really is the best option, running costs will be minimal.

Otherwise you do tend to get what you pay for, cheap Chinese = crumby batteries and poor performance.

Sorry Crossy absolutely do not agree, as I say in the above post I have JD solar lights in sizes 10w to 60w around my three rai walled area. They are cool white very bright and work well after one year of constant use. Friend also has them but his  are around one and half to two years old.  

Only after a very cloudy day do the lights not charge fully.

Added advantage, several of mine point at the house and give ample light through the windows and to the outside kitchen during any power cuts.

• Like 2

Well i have several cheap solar lights, p.i.r sensors, spotlights from 10 watt up to 100 watt.

All of them work ok, most stay on all night, only time they are not so good is on cloudy days.

Now my lights have worked well for over 2 years.

• Like 2

Evidently the solar lights have improved over the years, the last ones I bought (and they weren't cheap) had dead batteries within 18 months. 

I'll stick with my mains lights anyway since they're alread installed, they work whatever the weather and they're effectively solar powered anyway.

1 hour ago, Rimmer said:

I have ten JD8860 60w solar floods around the house all work perfectly after one year of use.

Physically roughly how big are the panels?

At that price I may get a couple to investigate.

19 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Physically roughly how big are the panels?

I started to guess a reply then thought silly me so went out and measured them  ????  and took a picture of three of them at the same time.  

14" x 14" for the 60w the smaller lights like a 10w are maybe 6" x 8" not so easy to measure those ones though as they are up high.

20201122_120041.jpg

• Like 2