Elite visa

6 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I don't think anything will happen. It came, it wiped out the vulnerable and now it's going, soon it will be gone either naturally or via vaccination but personally I'm leaning to it naturally burning out.

I like your optimism, and I hope you're right!

But there are still hundreds of thousands of 'vulnerable' and its causing problems for other groups of people too. Mutations are being discovered, no one knows how long antibodies will last and there are still 250-300k cases a day, and that's just from positive tests. There's still so much we don't know about this virus. Alas, I think it's here to stay. 

1 hour ago, wasabi said:

One thing that is interesting from the flow chart above is - at least for the time being - health insurance is now required for Thai Elite members entering Thailand whereas it never was before. While health insurance is wise to have as an Elite member I do not want to have to go through the additional logistics of proving I have said insurance to enter Thailand. Ideally this requirement drops off once the Covid quarantine goes away too. For reasons such as this I have no intention of leaving Thailand until this pandemic is over which I understand could still be years away.

What logistics are you referring to? My insurance sent me the letter on the same business day.

Or don't you have insurance at all right now?

19 hours ago, FlyingThai said:

What logistics are you referring to? My insurance sent me the letter on the same business day.

Or don't you have insurance at all right now?

I do have health insurance but I am concerned if they will generate a letter Thailand will accept. My insurance is US based. Perhaps it is easy like you say, but it seems like one more hassle that I hope to avoid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wasabi said:

I do have health insurance but I am concerned if they will generate a letter Thailand will accept. My insurance is US based. Perhaps it is easy like you say, but it seems like one more hassle that I hope to avoid.

The whole insurance thing is so vague. "$100,000 of medical insurance that covers covid19". 

Most travel insurance policies now cover covid19 medical needs, and the cover runs into the millions, is that sufficient, as it covers what they're asking for? 

22 hours ago, ukrules said:

I don't think anything will happen. It came, it wiped out the vulnerable and now it's going, soon it will be gone either naturally or via vaccination but personally I'm leaning to it naturally burning out.

They expanded the phase 3 vaccine trials to different regions (Brazil and South Africa) because they fear the virus will disappear before it can be tested properly. If we get one good well proven advance in vaccine technology and other advances in testing technology (rapid T cell tests also exist now) out of this then it will have served a purpose.

Where have you read that they fear the virus will disappear before it can be test properly?

23 hours ago, ukrules said:

They expanded the phase 3 vaccine trials to different regions (Brazil and South Africa) because they fear the virus will disappear before it can be tested properly. If we get one good well proven advance in vaccine technology and other advances in testing technology (rapid T cell tests also exist now) out of this then it will have served a purpose.

36 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

Where have you read that they fear the virus will disappear before it can be test properly?

OK, found some info...

"Oncologist and chief medical officer at Rutherford Health, Professor Karol Sikora said it is likely the British public has more immunity than previously thought.

"Professor Sikora wrote on his social media profile: 'There is a real chance that the virus will burn out naturally before any vaccine is developed.

"'We are seeing a roughly similar pattern everywhere – I suspect we have more immunity than estimated. We need to keep slowing the spread of the virus, but it could be petering out by itself.'"

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1283903/coronavirus-burn-out-could-covid-19-disappear-before-a-vaccine

Edited by Kelsall
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

OK, found some info...

"Oncologist and chief medical officer at Rutherford Health, Professor Karol Sikora said it is likely the British public has more immunity than previously thought.

"Professor Sikora wrote on his social media profile: 'There is a real chance that the virus will burn out naturally before any vaccine is developed.

"'We are seeing a roughly similar pattern everywhere – I suspect we have more immunity than estimated. We need to keep slowing the spread of the virus, but it could be petering out by itself.'"

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1283903/coronavirus-burn-out-could-covid-19-disappear-before-a-vaccine

Yet the chief medical officer in the UK is saying we shouldn't expect a vaccine before the winter of 2021/22 and we'll need to keep vigilant with current restrictions until then. 

It seems everyone has a different view / opinion on this. 

On 8/23/2020 at 10:59 AM, ukrules said:

I guess this is why they're still issuing the 6 months of extra membership to new members.

Give it a month or so, I have a feeling things are going to start to change soon and you should be at the front of the queue.

Do your feelings really count?

No.

Everyone is at the mercy of the government.

As you can tell, submarines seem to be more important than visa's right now.

The extra 6 months on the visas is for new members and also existing members. 

There's so much conflicting information on these threads, even from supposed emails from Thai Elite. Some say that members are still not allowed entry, and some say members are allowed entry and new members can have their visa stickers posted to their local embassy for collection. 

Either way, I think (and hope) it will soon happen for both existing and new members alike. 

On 8/24/2020 at 6:20 AM, ukrules said:

I really doubt that very much, only time will tell though so lets wait and see.

I will be surprised if things don't change massively over the next 4 to 8 weeks, especially if what I think is going to happen with the COVID 'epidemic' in Europe

The International Air Transportation Association, or IATA, said global air traffic will not return to pre-pandemic levels until 2024.

13 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

The International Air Transportation Association, or IATA, said global air traffic will not return to pre-pandemic levels until 2024.

And your point is? 

We're talking about Thailand. And things changing in the next few weeks. 

Nothing about pre pandemic levels or worldwide.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, leicesterguyuk said:

Yet the chief medical officer in the UK is saying we shouldn't expect a vaccine before the winter of 2021/22 and we'll need to keep vigilant with current restrictions until then. 

It seems everyone has a different view / opinion on this. 

Finland going to oder 3 different vaccine together whit EU. Old people ans child need different kind vaccine! Just was in news they expect that first vaccine is awailable early 2021. Its given to healty workers! UK just not anymore oder stuff whit EU. Thanks for brexit.

Edited by 2 is 1

6 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Finland going to oder 3 different vaccine together whit EU. Old people ans child need different kind vaccine! Just was in news they expect that first vaccine is awailable early 2021. Its given to healty workers! UK just not anymore oder stuff whit EU. Thanks for brexit.

Do you have a link to the report showing different ages need a different vaccine? Never heard that one before. 

When the first vaccine will be available is all hearsay. The UK still orders lots of things such a food and medicine from the EU and will continue to do so after Brexit. And vaccine deals have already been done between the UK and the EU. 

• Like 1

Funny topic.

Just a few weeks ago I mentioned that I doubt Elite staff would be able to meet you and affix the sticker for new members. Many people found this very laughable and said it would be possible.

Now it seems you are not so confident anymore that TH Elite confirmed my doubts.

I am waiting for my approval which I expect in the next few weeks. No doubt I will not pay anything until TE and the embassy confirm to me they can get the sticker in my passport in my country. Also the embassy needs to confirm repatriation flights are possible for us. Every embassy seems to handle that differently for TE.

10 minutes ago, cerox said:

Funny topic.

Just a few weeks ago I mentioned that I doubt Elite staff would be able to meet you and affix the sticker for new members. Many people found this very laughable and said it would be possible.

Now it seems you are not so confident anymore that TH Elite confirmed my doubts.

I am waiting for my approval which I expect in the next few weeks. No doubt I will not pay anything until TE and the embassy confirm to me they can get the sticker in my passport in my country. Also the embassy needs to confirm repatriation flights are possible for us. Every embassy seems to handle that differently for TE.

I'm in the same situation as you, I applied around 10 days ago so hoping for approval in 2-3 weeks but will be reluctant to part with any money without more clarification. Which country are you in? 

Is anyone else sat in Thailand waiting approval for the Elite visa and conscious of the amnesty date?

With the deadlines fast expiring for any ED/volunteering applications it seems quite a risk to wait and hope for approval before the amnesty ends.

I've tried to see if the Elite team can offer any reassurance or back up plans in the event that approval doesn't arrive in time but as yet there's nothing forthcoming.

Does anyone else have a backup plan or has been offered reassurances of any kind (perhaps a 30-day extension while waiting?)

7 hours ago, whizzergo said:

Does anyone else have a backup plan or has been offered reassurances of any kind (perhaps a 30-day extension while waiting?)

If you're still eligible for a 30 day extension then why not if it helps you to sleep better until you get your TE Visa label.

Many have already done so before the first amnesty was announced are now out of luck since a second 30 day extension isn't permitted.

You could get an ED or Volunteer visa for a year. In that case I'd bin the TE option and reapply in 2021 if needed.

On 8/25/2020 at 5:49 PM, Kelsall said:

OK, found some info...

That article was written in May......Since then the world wide virus cases have increased 10x.  It didn’t exactly peter out as he predicted.

8 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

That article was written in May......Since then the world wide virus cases have increased 10x.  It didn’t exactly peter out as he predicted.

The other scenario didn't happen either which was many millions of deaths, overloaded health systems in every country and all out mayhem.

There is most definitely a lot more immunity to a full blown illness than was previously publicised all around the world.

They said there was zero immunity which is clearly not true, hence the asymptomatics who appear to be easily beating the virus.

I don't think I've seen anyone mention mucosal immunity anywhere, it's important with respiratory viruses.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

They said there was zero immunity which is clearly not true, hence the asymptomatics who appear to be easily beating the virus.

It is important to appreciate that many asymptomatic carriers, although they have no symptoms, have a high viral load and are easily able to infect others. There is much that is still unknown about when and why some develop serious symptoms while others with a similar viral load do not. The evidence suggests that immunity is not the key factor.

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

The other scenario didn't happen either which was many millions of deaths,

Even with mask use, social distancing, and the strict lockdowns that continue around the world, deaths have so far been limited to 800,000....That’s pretty bad.  It would have been much much worse without all the strict prevention measures that continue.

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

An asymptomatic was not immune.  They still caught the virus.

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is important to appreciate that many asymptomatic carriers, although they have no symptoms, have a high viral load and are easily able to infect others. There is much that is still unknown about when and why some develop serious symptoms while others with a similar viral load do not. The evidence suggests that immunity is not the key factor.

I think this is not quite true.

Cross immunity from other corona viruses could be important. And it's not only the antibodies which cause immunity. Known factors are T-cells and I bet some other factors still unknown and unlikely to be found within the next months.

6 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

An asymptomatic was not immune.  They still caught the virus.

I thought if someone catches the virus and stays healthy, this is called immune ??

6 minutes ago, Berti said:

I thought if someone catches the virus and stays healthy, this is called immune ??

No definitely not.  If you catch the virus and it is living inside your body, you are not immune to it.  If you have immunity from antibodies, or memory tcells, you will not catch it at all.

56 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

No definitely not.  If you catch the virus and it is living inside your body, you are not immune to it.  If you have immunity from antibodies, or memory tcells, you will not catch it at all.

That is complete and utter rubbish.

1 hour ago, Berti said:

I think this is not quite true.

Cross immunity from other corona viruses could be important. And it's not only the antibodies which cause immunity. Known factors are T-cells and I bet some other factors still unknown and unlikely to be found within the next months.

If cross immunity was the answer, these people would not have high viral load, and potentially be capable of being super spreaders. That was why, initially, authorities were not concerned about asymptomatic cases, and assumed that just catching people with symptoms would be sufficient to control the pandemic. What is going on is truly mysterious, and an urgent subject of research.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ukrules said:
1 hour ago, Phillip9 said:

That is complete and utter rubbish.

It is true that those with full immunity will not develop a high viral load. It may still take a few days to clear the virus from your system, but you should not be capable of easily spreading the virus to others.

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

What is going on is truly mysterious, and an urgent subject of research.

I'd like to see your numbers on the 'viral loads' in the asymptomatics.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"