Cutting Down On Electricity Bills

chevykanteve

This letter-to-the-editor is in today's BKK Post. It makes me want to run out and buy some roof insulation. Seems like great advice for cutting costs in view of all these heat waves we're experiencing. Does anyone out there know how readily available the insulation is and how much it costs???

. ANDREAS PFEFFERL arcltd

''Heat-cutting windows'' (Postbag, April 24). Thank you, Sam Munich, for addressing a problem which is currently on everyone's lips due to global warming. I've been working in Thailand for over 10 years now, in the field of cooling systems, UPVC double glazing windows, polyurethane insulation foam and solar energy.

A good wall and roof insulation combined with double glazing windows will lower the energy needed to cool a room by as much as 80%, which in turn lessens the initial investment for the aircon system and, of course, running costs.

That the government intends to import less fossil fuels is a good idea, but the easiest technology at hand with the highest savings is simply not being implemented.

To install an energy-saving class-5 airconditioning unit in a standard-built house with the intention of saving energy, amounts to cooling while keeping doors and windows open.

Architects unfortunately are mainly interested in looks rather than saving energy and most are not well-informed about the possibilities of saving energy.

The government should implement a law allowing only a certain BTU cooling load to be installed per square metre.

Secondly, the government should offer and promote interested companies to insulate existing buildings. Payment is then made by a percentage of savings over a period of time secured by the government.

After or while these steps are taken, renewable energy has to be promoted via education and government incentives.....

To install an energy-saving class-5 airconditioning unit in a standard-built house with the intention of saving energy, amounts to cooling while keeping doors and windows open.

hmmm... :o

"The government should implement a law allowing only a certain BTU cooling load to be installed per square meter".

Well if they do that there goes any hope for any kind of democracy in this country in the future. Building a home is like buying a car if you care about the environment you tend to make choices to show that you do. Thailand is hardly a problem compared to my home town where everyone drives Hummers, Esclades and Navigators.

Agreed re tax incentives, both for consumers and developers/producers. Something many seem to miss when there are record profits for oil companies is that incentives could be used to encourage them to use much of those profits to move faster to develop the viability of "clean" energy as an alternative to fossil fuels. And a good use fo the profits for the shareholders, even if only long term.

are the double glazed windows available in thailand? If so at what cost?

That question was explored under another thread. However of all the contributers who offered welcome advice and links, I did not find one manufatcturer who guarenteed either a) the glazing was hermetically sealed, 2) even mentioned the importance of issue a, or c) manufactured anything with a minimum of a 12 mm air gap.

It appears that they are simply marketing twin panes of glass, not hermetically sealed and thus retaing an air chamber, in a frame, that thus still allows for significant thermal conductance, not to mention the ingress of dirt and insects over the longer term.

Therefore I should very much like to be proven wrong and I would be very interested indeed for any insights into which manufacturer does produce a double glazing productto European standards, here in Thailand.