Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

CB400?

Let us know the differences after a month or two, I'd certainly be interested.

From my experience with a CBR400...........less agile in traffic..........4 times the fuel consumtion but faster and much smoother on open stretches roads.

My commute of 50km on Sukhumvit resulted in saving 5 minutes of time at the cost of the extra fuel. Currently 100B for the 150 and 400B for the 400.

Why I finaly decided to buy another new CBR 150 over all other possibilities. Value for money, almost zero maintainence, no problem with legal books etc, usable performance ....the CBR150 comes out on top everytime. (with my usual rider of ....another 20hp double discs up front wider rims and CBR125 fairings would make it a perfect bike for me)

But in saying that......I am contemplating buying a NSR150....prefer a NSR250 or better CBR250 tho but hard to find. The NSR 150 gives the extra HP, I guess at the cost of extra fuel but less than the CBR400 and still nimble for traffic?? Keep the CBR150 of course.

Any comments????

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taichi... said he was getting a GB400 NOT a CB400. The GB is a single cylinder 400 classic style cafe racer. very slim and pretty good on fuel. a bit more top end about 160kmh. and with loads more bottom end.

Taichi mate i hope its got a tabien.

Taichi... said he was getting a GB400 NOT a CB400. The GB is a single cylinder 400 classic style cafe racer. very slim and pretty good on fuel. a bit more top end about 160kmh. and with loads more bottom end.

Taichi mate i hope its got a tabien.

Sure has and now in my name too! I love the little CBR, particularly after all the mods i did and there is nothing else around that will match it for city riding, especially bang for buck. If i had the money i'd keep the CBR150 for city cruising and get a bigger sports bike for country jaunts. The GB400 is a compromise but as i am classic car nut it satisfies the need for having something old style, and something i am less likely to kill myself on if i got a bigger sports bike.

CB400?

From my experience with a CBR400...........less agile in traffic..........4 times the fuel consumtion but faster and much smoother on open stretches roads.

My commute of 50km on Sukhumvit resulted in saving 5 minutes of time at the cost of the extra fuel. Currently 100B for the 150 and 400B for the 400.

Why I finaly decided to buy another new CBR 150 over all other possibilities. Value for money, almost zero maintainence, no problem with legal books etc, usable performance ....the CBR150 comes out on top everytime. (with my usual rider of ....another 20hp double discs up front wider rims and CBR125 fairings would make it a perfect bike for me)

But in saying that......I am contemplating buying a NSR150....prefer a NSR250 or better CBR250 tho but hard to find. The NSR 150 gives the extra HP, I guess at the cost of extra fuel but less than the CBR400 and still nimble for traffic?? Keep the CBR150 of course.

Any comments????

Did your CBR400 really do less than 10km per litre? Must have been in serious need of a tune up if that figure is true.

My old Yamaha XS 1100 did alot better than that and was thrashed most of the time.

CB400?

Any comments????

Did your CBR400 really do less than 10km per litre? Must have been in serious need of a tune up if that figure is true.

My old Yamaha XS 1100 did alot better than that and was thrashed most of the time.

Getting off topic with the reply but I do exactely 100km round trip to work and back. The CBR 400 had just been tuned by a guy used to working on the Honda 4cyl engines. The CBR 400 used 400B in gas about 4 months ago prices. I still have it but replacing fairings etc with later model CBR 600 ones re-spray etc, but cant find headlights to suit so held up now. I considered the saving of a few minutes not worth the extra $ but must say much nicer ride.

Today also...had a quick spin on a NSR150.........Absolutely nobody home under 7000rpm then u get a kick in the arse from the extra hp it has!! I think a bit tiresome keeping it above 7k revs tho. Maybe Im back to looking at modding the CBR to get more out of it??

Does anyone have any suggestions for where I should take my bike to get new sprockets? In Chiang Mai. I haven't had the best experience with places I've been.

Also, what's the Thai for 'sprocket' ? :)

Thanks

Niyom Panich on Mahidol Road approaching Airport Plaza. Sasa Panich on Chotana Road across from Rama IX Park. Maybe the bigger dealers on Huay Kaew and near McCormick Hospital.

Point at the sprocket and say "sa-pracka-dabba-doo to you, too, cop."

Does anyone have any suggestions for where I should take my bike to get new sprockets? In Chiang Mai. I haven't had the best experience with places I've been.

Also, what's the Thai for 'sprocket' ? :)

Thanks

I had mine changed at the Honda dealer on Huay Gaew Road just west of Nimenhemin Road and before Canal Road. Just point to the chain, rear sprocket, and front sprocket and say "Bree-Un" three times as you point to each one. There is one guy in particular that does the CBR-150's and he does a great job. ("Bree-Un" means change. Just say it slowly with a lower tone on the "Un".) If the manager is there, you speak English with him.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, looks far too similar though. Besides the rear, it doesn't do what the cbr needs. (to be lower and wider)

The Jakata bike at a quick glance looks ok....but.....(Hard to tell for sure in the pics) if u take a good look, it is a very amature job. It uses the same CBR lights but painted over to change the appearance/shape. The pillion seat is pure rubbish like a novice made it.

Same with the aseanmoto front fairing too....original lights are simply covered over with the new fairing to change the shape. (blocking out the upper indicator segment) and does as Yimmy says look too similar to the original.

The rear seat cowling.....not too much u can do realy...but any mod usualy deletes any underseat storage box.

The pic included here (I think came from this forum and I hope ok to use again) I think looks very nice.

I was looking at maybe buying an NSR but I think the CBR is better so Im going to modify the areas that I criticise, including the front fairing. The only challenge I see is suitable lights. CBR 125 headlights are perfect but cannot seem to buy here dam_n it. Even looked overseas to bring back in here. Id be happy with the complete 125 front fairing. (red bike)

post-78830-1254142413_thumb.jpg

post-78830-1254143457_thumb.jpg

Edited by visions

CB400?

Any comments????

Ninja250 might be good too :)

ninja250r_08_bk_main.jpg

Maybe the CBR400 is turbo charged or something. My old Kawasaki eliminator with a 400cc 16v GPZ engine ate around 12-15kmpl.

CBR 125 headlights are perfect but cannot seem to buy here dam_n it. Even looked overseas to bring back in here. Id be happy with the complete 125 front fairing. (red bike)

Yes I was thinking that maybe the top section of the cbr125 fairing from the UK model might just fit on top of the 150 model here. If so, surely you'd be able to pick one up on the likes of ebay and whatever.

CBR 125 headlights are perfect but cannot seem to buy here dam_n it. Even looked overseas to bring back in here. Id be happy with the complete 125 front fairing. (red bike)

Yes I was thinking that maybe the top section of the cbr125 fairing from the UK model might just fit on top of the 150 model here. If so, surely you'd be able to pick one up on the likes of ebay and whatever.

Ive spent some considerable time on google searching, with no results so far. But sure must be available.

Getting it back into Thailand may be a whole new exercise in futility tho???

Im going to keep looking ....but will make up tooling to make myself if I can locate some suitable lights.

First job is carbon rims to take wider profile tyres properly. Wont be finished untill after the rain tho dam_n it.

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and have read your posts on the CBR150R with utmost interest. I have been bikeing for 25 years +. Now living in Thailand I bought a new CBR150 last month. Still running it in. In my experience it is the best bike for Thailand in an overall general sense. Once run in I will be touring all over this beautiful country. My first mod I am going to do is fit a decent set of rubbers. The Pirelli MT75's sound just the job. Many thanx for the info and hope to contribute any experiences I encounter. Anyone living in the Pattya/Jomtien area if you PM me I would be glad to meet up.

Just saw a sweet back-end on a cbr at a set of lights. Front was the same, just lowered, but the back had new fairing and rear cowl. But the big thing was a new swing arm with a massive rim and dunlop tyre. Looked like the same size wheel as on the ninja 250. Also had a pipe that looked and sounded like the old cbr 250.

Looked very, very nice. (from the back and side at least. And he could sure swing it in and around the traffic.)

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and have read your posts on the CBR150R with utmost interest. I have been bikeing for 25 years +. Now living in Thailand I bought a new CBR150 last month. Still running it in. In my experience it is the best bike for Thailand in an overall general sense. Once run in I will be touring all over this beautiful country. My first mod I am going to do is fit a decent set of rubbers. The Pirelli MT75's sound just the job. Many thanx for the info and hope to contribute any experiences I encounter. Anyone living in the Pattya/Jomtien area if you PM me I would be glad to meet up.

Welcome to the club! Will be happy to catch up somtime, now that my bike is 'legal'.

Had to change the muffler back to standard, the DBS rainbow one was attracting too much attention. Even though my mechanic modified the noise killer to make it even quieter, i was hit with a THB1000 fine! :) I didn't even have time to offer a smaller 'fine', he just wrote out the ticket. I pointed to his Tiger and asked him to fire that up so we could compare, but he wouldn't play the game. He wasn't just picking on me, he was fining a lot of thais without helmets, but the noise issue still seems arbitary. Even if it was whisper quiet i reckon the BiB would see the mod and say 'too loud'. Pity, the DBS had a nice note to it; really nice when the noise killer was taken out!

The bike is going great with all the mods; i love it! Really can't tell much difference to having the bigger tyres on, they look better but the Pilot Sportys do the job nicely. With the 180cc engine the 47T rear sprocket seems a bit low geared now, so might drop it back to the 44T. I've fitted a Dexus rear gas shock, it is firmer but not unbearable as some earlier post mentioned about YSS gas shocks.

Had to change the muffler back to standard, the DBS rainbow one was attracting too much attention. Even though my mechanic modified the noise killer to make it even quieter, i was hit with a THB1000 fine! :) I didn't even have time to offer a smaller 'fine', he just wrote out the ticket. I pointed to his Tiger and asked him to fire that up so we could compare, but he wouldn't play the game. He wasn't just picking on me, he was fining a lot of thais without helmets, but the noise issue still seems arbitary. Even if it was whisper quiet i reckon the BiB would see the mod and say 'too loud'. Pity, the DBS had a nice note to it; really nice when the noise killer was taken out!

Pattaya cops are the worst! They tried to do me a couple of times for the TWO BROS pipe on my ER6n (which I admit is LOUD even at idle) but I blew 'em off and now generally try to avoid riding on that beach road at all costs. Just not worth the hassle.

Howdy,

I just found this forum and joined today. I am visiting in Thailand with the intentions of moving here. I am renting an apartment in Rangsit area, where can I go look at the CBR150? I am very interested. I have an FZR400R Exup back in the states. Heard a nightmare to get bikes here along with other cars. Probably buy a bike here.

Please let me know, I am interested.

Thanks

Hi!

Does anyone know a dealer/shop that sells exhaust pipes for a CBR in the Pattaya area? It's meant to replace the original pipe but keep the original muffler.

I know that Faddy bike sells them in BKK but I was wondering if they sell it here in Pattaya or Jomtien as well.

Many thanks,

Pattaya cops are the worst! They tried to do me a couple of times for the TWO BROS pipe on my ER6n (which I admit is LOUD even at idle) but I blew 'em off and now generally try to avoid riding on that beach road at all costs. Just not worth the hassle.

You can get a good hp gain by opening up the standard muffler and cutting up the baffles inside.

Years ago a mate of mine won an Isle of Man winning 'Standard' Production bike in a MotorCycleNews competition in the UK.

The bike was a beaut, and much quicker than standard.

When we had the bike in his workshop we found out the muffler had been cut open along a seam and the internal baffles all but removed.

Seems S***ki knew how to bend the rules back then.

You can get a good hp gain by opening up the standard muffler and cutting up the baffles inside.

Really? Must say that's interesting.

Possible to do with a cbr 150 you reckon? (I know next to nothing about bike mechanics)

What actully are 'the baffles' and would an average mechanic know how to 'cut them up'?

And what would the affects be? (noise/performance wise)

Thanks.

Howdy,

I just found this forum and joined today. I am visiting in Thailand with the intentions of moving here. I am renting an apartment in Rangsit area, where can I go look at the CBR150? I am very interested. I have an FZR400R Exup back in the states. Heard a nightmare to get bikes here along with other cars. Probably buy a bike here.

Please let me know, I am interested.

Thanks

thaivisa classifieds, and bahtsold.com

Really? Must say that's interesting.

Possible to do with a cbr 150 you reckon? (I know next to nothing about bike mechanics)

What actully are 'the baffles' and would an average mechanic know how to 'cut them up'?

And what would the affects be? (noise/performance wise)

Thanks.

I would take it to a competent shop to do it as first the silencer box has to be cut neatly along a seam so it can be closed up and rewelded so finding one you trust would be your first hurdle in Thailand.

The baffles in a silencer box merely take the exhaust gases on a convoluted route to the outside air as part of the attempt to quieten down the sound of the exhaust.

Back in my UK production racing pit crew days cutting the exhaust around was an 'accepted' tactic to liberate a few more hp.

Bear in mind not all engines respond to the same sort of treatment but the ones we played around on seemed to like it best if the first plate in the silencer box was not cut around too much. Probably something to do with the exhaust tuning.

However, further plates could be drilled out or even removed to get the gases flowing better.

It was surprising how little affect these mods had on the exhaust noise and we never had a problem at scrutineering!

That being said I have never seen inside a CBR 150 exhaust!!!!!

Just tell them u want a pair (sometimes sold separately) of 12v (H6 type) halogen bulbs. the stock is not halogen (those are stanleys -ordinary bulbs) 18w.. just a little brighter than common automobile break lights (not very good illumination) ..I then switched to 12v H6 yellow halogen bulbs 18w ..they're crappy too. I changed to 12v H6 non-colored halogen bulbs 25w this time.. better. Still no signs of burns or over heating. Then I put on 12w original stanley bulbs 35w this time since i didn't want to overdo the wattage and they might burn.. several months, no signs of burns or overheating whatsoever.. Finally i got these blue 12v plasma bulbs H6 type still 35w.. the best i've tried so far.

I strongly recommend you install a headlight kill-switch so you can turn them off in traffic and waiting at well lit intersections. Btw., Raider switch assemblies work well.. most CBR's who install a switch on their's get switch assemblies from the Raider150.

Hey! I put in a pair of 35wt zenon bulbs, and it overloaded my electrical system. Bike ran ok, but all my dash lights etc dimmed, and the headlights didn't work properly (very dim).

I have a pair of 25 wt stanleys right now, but was wondering how to make the 35wt bulbs work. Did you do anything special?

Anybody?