Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

Just did a few 200km per day rides and I must say that my ass is killing me. :D

Or certainly was from about 100km onwards on each trip. My GF also suffered from duit jep after about 50km while on the back.

Does anyone know if there are seat modifications available to soften the ride so to speak?

And my bike is 4 years old, and has certainly lost some power in that time, on two occaisions a newer model cruised past me with a pillion passenger as I was close to top speed cruising at about 100kph at 8,000rpm. :)

Anyway, the seats on the cbr suck for any ride over 100km.

Hi, I took mine to a seat upholsterer and he put a thicker foam inside, shaped like I wanted,(to stop pressing against the tank) and made a new cover. great now,went from Jomtien to Khanchanaburi no problem

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is time for my first oil change. I want to use sybthetic oil, but the Honda dealer says that will ruin my bike. What oils are you guys running? I want the lower temperatures and longer life usually associated with running high quality synthetics. However, I donot want to damage my bike as it is my main transportation source.

Thanks,

Tim

It is time for my first oil change. I want to use sybthetic oil, but the Honda dealer says that will ruin my bike. What oils are you guys running? I want the lower temperatures and longer life usually associated with running high quality synthetics. However, I donot want to damage my bike as it is my main transportation source.

Thanks,

Tim

I have used Motul synthetic for about 6,000k, and no problem. Runs cooler, and clutch doesn't slip (didn't before, either).

Ruining the engine? I sure hope not! Not yet...

One thing though - an oil change on the 150 is one liter. But the bike's oil capacity is 1.4 liters. Gotta drain it fully (open it up), or do a few oil changes in a row.

Thanks,

Tim

Theres a fair bit of information available about the use of normal oils verses synthetic ones. There is a very well know belief thats been around for a while about the best way to run in a motor is to use normal oils and switch to synthetics around the 15-20,000km time. Theres some good information about this on perth street bikes as well as Kevin Curtains website. I can't be bothered typing out all the information thats discussed in those sites but I have recently done this with my Raider, switched to Synthetic oils after running normal oils for the first 20k or so. I will let you know how its going in another 30 or 40,000km :)

Thanks,

Tim

Theres a fair bit of information available about the use of normal oils verses synthetic ones. There is a very well know belief thats been around for a while about the best way to run in a motor is to use normal oils and switch to synthetics around the 15-20,000km time. Theres some good information about this on perth street bikes as well as Kevin Curtains website. I can't be bothered typing out all the information thats discussed in those sites but I have recently done this with my Raider, switched to Synthetic oils after running normal oils for the first 20k or so. I will let you know how its going in another 30 or 40,000km :)

Do you have a link for that site? Is it Kevin Curtain or Kevin Curtin? Either way I can not find it.

Maybe I will just stick with good quality conventional oil for the first few changes.

Thanks,

Tim

Sorry, I can't find the original article I was talking about.

Theres heaps on the net though, it all comes down to who you want to listen to. Make no mistake about it Synthetic Oil is apparently much better for your modern motorcycle engine than patroleum based oils, theres data to support that engines run cooler on Synthetics & thats always a good thing. The main arguement comes in regards to engine break in.

have a rear

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Years ago you had to run an engine in (basically to get the piston ring and bore to seal correctly) if you used a friction modified oil it would glaze the bore and the engine would smoke like crazy. I would have thought a couple of thousand kms would be okay to make sure, don't know the reasoning behind 20,000kms before using synthetic.

THB3,700 for a two colour paint job is fairly reasonable, i paid 4,500 for mine but there was a bit of work with the sliver 'flames'.

Getting the engine cleaned.

Got my bike (4 years old) 6 months ago. Took it to a Honda dealer looking for a full service, although the boss spoke English and is Korean, and a top bloke, they didn't really understand the concept of a full service, or what I wanted anyway: To check the whole engine, and clean and replace anything that needed cleaning or replacing.

They replaced the airfilter and put in a new spark plug. Big difference in performance.

But the top speed is a bit slower than what others talk about.

I read a lot of people talking about cleaning the carbs.

What affect will this have on the bike? How much would it generally cost?

And is there anything else I can tell them to clean while they're in there?

Thanks.

Edited by Yimmy

Sprocket ratio is as standard.

I'm not that pushed about cruising faster than 120kph. I'm on about engine cleaning.

Thanks.

Edited by Yimmy

Sprocket ratio is as standard.

I'm not that pushed about cruising faster than 120kph. I'm on about engine cleaning.

Thanks.

yimmy,

okay, cleaning the carb is definately going to be something that will make a difference, small particle matter in there can effect things. The CBR150 comes standard with a 115 Jet, replace it with a 120Jet, one of the Carby's I have for my Raider is a CBR150 Carb, I replaced the jet and tuned the carby up, made a huge difference. I have two good mechanics, one in Bkk, cleans my carby for free because he likes to see me smile and also i do alot of business with him. Down near where I live I have a man that does all my filters, replaces the oil, spark plug, lubes and adjusts everything and cleans the carb for 120 labour (just to give you an idea).

NEXT and importantly, do the SHIMS (CHECK VALVE CLEARANCE).

My Raider was suffering from reduced performance (and reduced top speed). I tore the top of the engine off and checked valve clearance, guess what, it was out a couple of mm on the inlet and the exhaust end wasnt balanced. Replaced the shims and took the time to get it right. Put the engine lid back on and guess what a clean carb and valve clearance adjustment added to my top end (21km/h).

Make sure you replace your air filter more regularly than stated in the honda book, that way your carb will stay clean longer.

I hope this helps.

yimmy,

i forgot to say, make sure whoever cleans your carb that they pull it off the bike, strip it down flush it with clean fuel and blow it out with compressed air (wiping with a dirty rag is not cleaning it). Jet replacement is easy, takes a couple of minutes). the slide and carby bowl and float should all be blown clean and the thing reassembled and the mixtures set.

Dont run that gasahol crap in ur CBR, it will stuff that carby quicker than you can say "I wish I bought a Suzuki Raider 150" :)

yimmy,

i forgot to say, make sure whoever cleans your carb that they pull it off the bike, strip it down flush it with clean fuel and blow it out with compressed air (wiping with a dirty rag is not cleaning it). Jet replacement is easy, takes a couple of minutes). the slide and carby bowl and float should all be blown clean and the thing reassembled and the mixtures set.

Dont run that gasahol crap in ur CBR, it will stuff that carby quicker than you can say "I wish I bought a Suzuki Raider 150" :)

As a side note; do be careful about what's in there when you're blowing it out; diaphragms are easy to rupture and little clips can come off....

Great stuff. Thanks mate. Will get the chance to do all that at my local (Saphan Kwai) honda dealer in the new year. Will report back on costs and differences.

Must be an aussie, happy to help a brother out. Will be interested to see what difference it makes.

If you still want a bit of omph after that I would look at getting an aftermarket CDI, assuming you have already put a larger exhaust pipe on the bike.

Anyway, Im not too familiar with that honda BUT there are simple things that apply to all machines.

Buy a Suzuki :)

lol. Thanks, but I like the cbr. :D

I've been searching around for a carbon (or lookalike) piece that goes over the front of the gas tank as mine is quite scratched by now.

2f3f719d35af90890d0c00fb1c0b179e.jpg

The only one on the net I could find is this one. And he doesn't seem to answer emails asking how much it is, or how I can buy it.

http://711speedshop.com/component/page,sho...emart/Itemid,1/

I flew up to the shops by the dealer in Saphan Kwai but they only had the fake carbon sets for all the scooters. Nothing for CBRs. :)

Anybody know of where you can pick one up, I think it would look really good.

Thanks all.

Yeah, ain't actually the tank. Just the unpainted piece of fairing that comes over the front of it. I agree with the 'looking cheap' bit, but the bike's those colours anyway, charcoal gray with black trim so think it would look better than the standard dull, plastic piece.

Ohh, okay, im with you, reakon ur right then. Dunno about doing business with a guy that wont answer your emails, If i send an email and dont receive a reply within 48 hours (meaning 2 business days), then I shop elsewhere.

sorry again, I dont know where you can get parts for the honda.....have you googled?

lol. Thanks, but I like the cbr. :D

I've been searching around for a carbon (or lookalike) piece that goes over the front of the gas tank as mine is quite scratched by now.

2f3f719d35af90890d0c00fb1c0b179e.jpg

The only one on the net I could find is this one. And he doesn't seem to answer emails asking how much it is, or how I can buy it.

http://711speedshop.com/component/page,sho...emart/Itemid,1/

I flew up to the shops by the dealer in Saphan Kwai but they only had the fake carbon sets for all the scooters. Nothing for CBRs. :)

Anybody know of where you can pick one up, I think it would look really good.

Thanks all.

I think i have seen someone selling those at CBRclub or CBR150club , its in thai but some people there speak and write in english. Look around or ask if you can't find any ad's. :D

/peace

Getting the engine cleaned.

Got my bike (4 years old) 6 months ago. Took it to a Honda dealer looking for a full service, although the boss spoke English and is Korean, and a top bloke, they didn't really understand the concept of a full service, or what I wanted anyway: To check the whole engine, and clean and replace anything that needed cleaning or replacing.

They replaced the airfilter and put in a new spark plug. Big difference in performance.

But the top speed is a bit slower than what others talk about.

Thanks.

Yimmy... You don't mention where you are from, but if you don't have a good wrench, it doesn't matter what you tell them. I live in Chiang Mai, and luckily found a Honda shop with a CBR-150 expert. My bike's carb and front fork have been rebuilt, carb re-jetted, cam tensioner replaced, sprockets replaced, headlights upgraded, and oil changes done regularly by a guy that really knows the bike. If you haven't found a good mechanic, keep looking. The CBR-150 needs service by someone that knows the bike and knows how you ride.

One mod which would definatley be a bonus which I failed to mention. A Scottoiler. It's a small tank of L.O. that has a pipe attached to the suction of the carb. As you open it up and the vacum increases it put an increasing amount of lube oil on your rear sprocket. A miniscule amount. It trebles the amount of chain life and adjustment periods. Being a bit dusty here it's ideal. I have one on my 750 back in the UK and has been a Godsend.

Happy and Safe riding.

I've thought about installing a chain oiler on my CBR150 because I very much dislike the job of oiling the chain. And I don't really trust local mechanics to use the specified oil. What are folks using here in Thailand for continuous chain oilers?

One mod which would definatley be a bonus which I failed to mention. A Scottoiler. It's a small tank of L.O. that has a pipe attached to the suction of the carb. As you open it up and the vacum increases it put an increasing amount of lube oil on your rear sprocket. A miniscule amount. It trebles the amount of chain life and adjustment periods. Being a bit dusty here it's ideal. I have one on my 750 back in the UK and has been a Godsend.

Happy and Safe riding.

I've thought about installing a chain oiler on my CBR150 because I very much dislike the job of oiling the chain. And I don't really trust local mechanics to use the specified oil. What are folks using here in Thailand for continuous chain oilers?

This is a waste of money! You don't need to oil an o-ring (sealed) chain, much less continually.

Just keep it clean and spray a little oil on the surface. You can't penetrate the seals to lubricate the pins anyway.

A really good chain is a good investment, go for light weight and gold plates to resist rust. a DID, regina, EK, AFAM, etc...

And learn when to change it - a common mistake is to keep the same chain for years...

I've been around bikes, excellent mechanics, and winning racers my whole life, never known anyone that used a chain oiler, even on non-sealed chains. The only application I know of is desert racing and enduro racing, a la baja 500.

jbeck

Quick query.I have my CBR 150 a couple of months now and everytime I start it up I have to use the choke for a few minutes or it cuts out while idling. That can't be right, can it? It's not like it's cold outside or anything! I use the bike everyday for a 24km commute. I have checked the idle speed when the engine's warmed and it's spot on 14000rpm which is the manual recommended. The bike was bought new and was serviced at 600km, there's only 2,500 on it at the moment. I'm going to take it in for a service when I get a chance in a fortnight but just thought I'd ask here. Any of you CBR 150ers using your choke as often?

Have never used the choke but I always rev a few times when I start it or it will often do the same. During the cold week it did cut once or twice as I drove off as well. I try to rev it a few times and leave it running as I put my helmet and gloves on.

Tom at G3 (Chiangmai) freaked me out a bit today.

I was asking him if there was anything else I could do to my bike to make it faster. Other than cams - I don't want to do cams...

He told me that he could make it into a 250cc.

40,000 baht

Yamaha R1 piston, new cylinder, lengthen the connecting rod (same stroke), re-seat the valves. That's it.

Tom said that the tranny could take it.

He also told me that some people are taking a Steed 600 piston, and could turn my 166 (your 150) into a 300cc single.

Wow

What happens when you have such a large bore in relationship to the stroke?

Tom said more torque, but I read that torque increased from stroke. But what do I know?!?

---

ps - I am thinking of changing away from my Pilot Sporty tires

I have a virtually new (400km) 110/80 rear (one size above spec),

and a 90/80 front with lots of tread left (one year old - about 4000km).

Anybody in Chiang Mai interested in them?

They are still on the bike.

What is gollila charging for the 110 rear? (I paid 2100 for mine here in CM).

I would give a good price on the pair.

Good opportunity to move up from IRC's for a good discount...

PM me if interested

Tom at G3 (Chiangmai) freaked me out a bit today.

I was asking him if there was anything else I could do to my bike to make it faster. Other than cams - I don't want to do cams...

He told me that he could make it into a 250cc.

40,000 baht

Yamaha R1 piston, new cylinder, lengthen the connecting rod (same stroke), re-seat the valves. That's it.

Tom said that the tranny could take it.

He also told me that some people are taking a Steed 600 piston, and could turn my 166 (your 150) into a 300cc single.

Wow

What happens when you have such a large bore in relationship to the stroke?

Tom said more torque, but I read that torque increased from stroke. But what do I know?!?

do NOT do this, unless you have another bike to use when this one self destructs.

If you want the bike to go faster: cams, carb, CDI, pipe - bore up, head porting, gearing - same recipe for any bike.

And best to do all - one mod alone really will not do it.

Also, torque increases with displacement and cam timing, engine design, etc...

Like a v-twin Ducati has more low end torque than an 4 cylinder R1.

I wouldn't worry about torque on your CBR.

what/where is G3?