Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

A new one? Go to the Honda dealer.

Second hand? There's a few shops along Suk 70, perhaps they'll have one or two.

Other than that, on Ratchprarop there's a shop with 3 or 4. coming up from Prathunam, it's just past the junction with Soi Rang Nam. About 5 meters past it. Expect you can get about 10% off their asking price.

There is of course always going to be some on classifieds sites like bahtsold.com

Thanks! I'll look into those.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you buy a second hand one, I recommend going straight to a Honda dealer and getting the following done.

New sparkplug, new airfilter, clean the carb. I did with this with mine and the difference was about 10% improved performance. Cost was under 300b. :blink: :jap:

Need some tyre advice gentlemen. Currently running Michelin Pilot Sportys with 6000 kms on them, front is still in very good condition but the back almost tread bare! Would there be any problem with keeping the Michelin front and changing the back for a Dunlop?

If you buy a second hand one, I recommend going straight to a Honda dealer and getting the following done.

New sparkplug, new airfilter, clean the carb. I did with this with mine and the difference was about 10% improved performance. Cost was under 300b. :blink: :jap:

Have to agree with thomo here. Did exactly the same myself recently and improved performance all round with a 10kph increase in the top speed I was getting. Money well spent.

I don't usually open mine up, but going up Vipawadee-Rangsit this morning and the road opened up empty in front of me. Easily redlined in 3rd gear, then up to fifth where it redlined at nearly 130kph, into sixth and didn't go for the topspeed (sorry :) ), but must say that even in it's stock form it's a little animal of a bike.

<br />Need some tyre advice gentlemen. Currently running Michelin Pilot Sportys with 6000 kms on them, front is still in very good condition but the back almost tread bare! Would there be any problem with keeping the Michelin front and changing the back for a Dunlop?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hi Judas

Good question and my answer would be not to cross brands. If you are cash-strapped, then I guess it would be ok, but if not cash-strapped, then stick to the same brands.

I guess some tyres wear differently to others and the tyre characteristics will be different.

Maybe somebody else can give a more technical answer ?

Need some tyre advice gentlemen. Currently running Michelin Pilot Sportys with 6000 kms on them, front is still in very good condition but the back almost tread bare! Would there be any problem with keeping the Michelin front and changing the back for a Dunlop?

A month ago I put a set of Pirellies on. Done 2000km and no apparent wear yet. Going by your experience I would have only 2/3 left!! The Pirellies are 1 size up and did change the handling but now I have confindence in them can take corners better than the stock tyres. Dropped the revs about 500 at 100kph so smoother cruising. Havent tried top speed but hits 130 (on speedo. with just slight difference in pick up than before)

the original tyres did 30,000 before need change the rear...front only half worn.....The thai guy thought I was nuts taking it off!! But I wanted matching tyres. maybe the CBR150 isnt powerful enuf to worry too much about matching tyres, but my life depends on my tyres and I didnt want take any chances.......

Thanks for the input guys. I too am a bit surprised by how quickly the back has worn but I guess it's the way I ride ;) Was only going the Dunlop route as they're available locally but a quick look on mocyc.com and I can order a new back Michelin by 'phone. Will go up a size also on the rear.

Thanks for the input guys. I too am a bit surprised by how quickly the back has worn but I guess it's the way I ride ;) Was only going the Dunlop route as they're available locally but a quick look on mocyc.com and I can order a new back Michelin by 'phone. Will go up a size also on the rear.

The service Charlie gave with the Pirellies was superb. I used email but had the tyres in hand day after ordering. (Rayong) Could have been same day but I didnt send the $ untill evening.

The service Charlie gave with the Pirellies was superb. I used email but had the tyres in hand day after ordering. (Rayong) Could have been same day but I didnt send the $ untill evening.

How much did you pay for the Pirellie tyres?

I can order a new back Michelin by 'phone. Will go up a size also on the rear.

I got new michelins last week. Rear was 1,200b for the 110 size. At my local Honda dealer.

Guy from mocyc.com just quoted me 1650B plus 100B delivery on a 110 rear! Last year a mate got my current standard sized Michelins in Bkk for me at 2000B for the pair. Can you pm me or post the number of your Honda dealer so I can give them a call? Thanks

They were certainly cheaper than I expected.

Got em in the Honda dealer in Saphan Kwai, just under the BTS station. Rear - 1,200b. Front - 900b. Got a new front axil put in too. 50b. and around 50b for the hour or so of work.

They had the IRC and Pirreli at 1,800b (I think), but they were the stock size of 100 rear. I wanted the bigger 110.

It's a good dealership and the owner (korean I think) speaks fluent English, and there's no BS about him. Tells you what they'll do, why they'll do it, how much everything costs individually, and that's it.

Don't have the phone number I'm afraid.

Edited by thomo

Can someone give me some input on what parts i should get to upgrade ignition? I tried my best to browse throughs ome thai/indonesian forums using google translate, but the best i could come up with is that is hould consider blue thunder, nology, or andrion xp coils? along with iridium spark plugs? Can someone that has done this upgrade share your results? thanks a bunch!

-Victor

Hi Guys,

Only read 20-30 pages so far great thread.

I have a Australian Car license and have no problems driving a scooter in Phuket when I get pulled over by police, Will there be a difference riding on a CBR150? Do I need to get the Thai license to drive this bike?

Hi Guys,

Only read 20-30 pages so far great thread.

I have a Australian Car license and have no problems driving a scooter in Phuket when I get pulled over by police, Will there be a difference riding on a CBR150? Do I need to get the Thai license to drive this bike?

Your current license is same situation for scooter or big bike. I used my NZ car license for 5 years and never had a problem when had to show to BiB.

But...if/when (because u will) have an accident and it surely will hit the fan with you the loser. A Thai license is easy to get. For your own safeuard get one.

Any insurance you may have, bike and or personal, is null and void if you dont have a thai license.

Legally, yes. I haven't bothered to get one. Some mates haven't bothered to get one in over 20 years. Get stopped, you can pay 200b for the 'offense' on the spot, they may try to get another 200b for not having your license with you. Accept it, be polite, don't fail the attitude test, and there's really not a lot to worry about.

By the way, if your pillion passenger has a license, that's accepted, as long as someone on the vehicle has one, it doesn't have to be the driver. :lol:

Welcome to Thailand. :)

Edited by thomo

Legally, yes. I haven't bothered to get one. Some mates haven't bothered to get one in over 20 years. Get stopped, you can pay 200b for the 'offense' on the spot, they may try to get another 200b for not having your license with you. Accept it, be polite, don't fail the attitude test, and there's really not a lot to worry about.

Backhanders work fine until you have an accident... :hit-the-fan:

Why risk it when getting a Thai DL is so cheap and easy?!

Backhanders work fine until you have an accident..

Not necessarily the case.

Better things to do with one's time. Besides, don't really need one in reality.

The headlights on the CBR is H4 right ? .,

Possible to use 100w bulbs ? ., or is the 55w bulbs the way to go . ,

find a pair of nice GP Thunder 8500k bulbs to fit the bike . . . .

a typical 100w bulb will take the toll on the lenses & reflectors. the highest wattage bulb i've seen on a CBR is 35W

Great thread. I got 75 pages done and skiped to the end.

I have a 1 year old CBR 150 and have removed all the decals off the bike, except the tank. The decals on the plastic bits came off easy with little residue. I am a bit concerned about the ones on the fuel tank, they almost look like they have a clear coat over them.

Question: Can I remove the tank decals with my heat gun or am I going to mess the paint up.

Thanks

marcus

I saw someone peel the sticker off the tank. Yes it's covered with a clear paint coat. A good 'buffing' will help even the surface after the stickers have been removed -but it's still a good idea of having it repainted or atleast to have it top-coated again.

I find the bike seems light in the rear end, Back wheel locks up easy and skids easy. Did lowering the rear help at all with this? Thanks

I suppose you're talking about 'braking'. Yes it easily locks up. Most sport bikes use the front brakes more than the rear. I 'generally' use my front about 80% of the time.

You might throw up a bit of a rooster tail in the wet if you cut off that piece of mudguard? Let me know what effect it has ?

Well it's been raining heavily the past 2 nights (and yesterday). Although I didn't drive in the actual rain, I was out minutes after it had stopped and yes, after a 20km journey there was specks of mud up onto the back seat and fairing. Not a lot, just a few more larger specks than normal. As I'm out on the bike in or just after the rain about 5 times in one year, it's alright though.

i got rid of the entire tail-mudguard on mine. the license plate on the rear serves as the mudguard. during rainy season, the tiny mud splashes reach the pillon seat and a little on my backpack >,< ..so i improvised a temporary / easily removable rubber shield i clip on with binder clips ..it looks real ugly, but i dont care as long as it keeps the mud splashes only upto the fellow tailing me :whistling:

DBS Pipes

Anybody have good or bad experiences with these DBS pipes?

http://translate.goo...egk-iMT1tqOARpg

Have quite a large range for all the scooters up to the Ninja 250.

CBR 150 is 5,500 for the carbon fibre, and 4,500 for the stainless steel inc. the downpipe.

DBS pipes.. helps improve the 'power' of the engine. It's also very noisy. As they say.. to get the full benefit of an 'open pipe' (or open muffler or whatever they call it), the carb has to be tweaked as well or replaced with a bigger one, electronic ignition system upgrade would also be helpful...

No problems so far. I have different brands & tread pattern on mine for front -vs- rear. Some even neglect or mistakenly disregard the 'tire direction' -however i wont recommend that.

A month ago I put a set of Pirellies on. Done 2000km and no apparent wear yet. Going by your experience I would have only 2/3 left!! The Pirellies are 1 size up and did change the handling but now I have confindence in them can take corners better than the stock tyres. Dropped the revs about 500 at 100kph so smoother cruising. Havent tried top speed but hits 130 (on speedo. with just slight difference in pick up than before)

the original tyres did 30,000 before need change the rear...front only half worn.....The thai guy thought I was nuts taking it off!! But I wanted matching tyres. maybe the CBR150 isnt powerful enuf to worry too much about matching tyres, but my life depends on my tyres and I didnt want take any chances.......

Replacing both tires at the same time, with compatible front -vs- rear treads is a very good idea!

Can someone give me some input on what parts i should get to upgrade ignition? I tried my best to browse throughs ome thai/indonesian forums using google translate, but the best i could come up with is that is hould consider blue thunder, nology, or andrion xp coils? along with iridium spark plugs? Can someone that has done this upgrade share your results? thanks a bunch!

-Victor

- plug

- hi-tension wire

- cdi

Any one of those will help improve performance. But for best results -upgrade all of them. Personally i only upgraded my plug, and im satisfied with it already ^^

Btw., an adjustable CDI would be a good choice since your mechanic can map the correct ignition timing based on your riding style and purpose.

BIB fee = 200B + 200B

That may roughly mean you make a lot more than 400B during the same amount of time it takes & the hassle to get a license biggrin.gif

amount of time it takes & the hassle to get a license

Not really. :D

DBS pipes.. helps improve the 'power' of the engine. It's also very noisy.

Thanks. Noise - the lack of it, is one of my main wants from a new muffler. They say it comes with the 'DB Killer' which hopefully will dull it down a bit as I can't stand those granny frighteners.

They also have the endurance pipe for 500b cheaper, which also looks shorter. Does anybody know which is quieter? or has any other comparisons between the two?

Backhanders work fine until you have an accident..

Not necessarily the case.

Makes me question your grip on reality... :whistling:

-Victor

- plug

- hi-tension wire

- cdi

Any one of those will help improve performance. But for best results -upgrade all of them. Personally i only upgraded my plug, and im satisfied with it already ^^

Btw., an adjustable CDI would be a good choice since your mechanic can map the correct ignition timing based on your riding style and purpose.

don't the plugs come in one piece with the wire? I already have a nonprogrammable unlimited CDI but would consider changing to a programmable one such as the one made by NMR. Only problem is I'm afraid the manual would be in Thai and my mechanic would have no idea how to tune it. Can you do me a huge favor and look at nology.com and let me know the part numbers I need? I'm afraid I might get the wrong wire with a plug that doesn't fit (don't they come in different shapes?) or know any thai/europe sites that sell set kits for the CBR150? What about the profire and profire ignition modules made by nology? would these be recommended? Thanks a lot for your help!

I am about to buy a CBR150 (first bike) and read up on a number of things I should watch out for when buying a used bike (green book, engine/frame number...).

Since I might need to check the bike myself, can anyone tell me where on the CBR150 can I find the engine and frame numbers? (pictures would be appreciated :) )

In the same context - can someone recommend a mechanic (or anyone else who knows their stuff) who I could get for a fee and check the bike for me?

Makes me question your grip on reality... :whistling:

Fair nuff.

Been stopped maybe 8 times over the past year. Can only remember two occasions where they added 200b for not having a license with me.

400b a year. I'm sure the DL is less than that. So yes, spending half a day getting one would be better off.

Edited by thomo

Fair nuff.

Been stopped maybe 8 times over the past year. Can only remember two occasions where they added 200b for not having a license with me.

400b a year. I'm sure the DL is less than that. So yes, spending half a day getting one would be better off.

Its not the cost of the license......or fines/teamoney, Its what it can cost you if you are involved in an accident. Even if you are in the right...you are in the wrong, and liable for any repairs, personal injury payments etc, and not to mention the possibility.....(shudder the thought) of spending time in Bkk Hilton or where ever.... Your own insurance, bike and personal, (if any) is null and void.

Its simply not worth risking those scenarios happening.......If you have a current license its a formality paper shuffle only to get a Thai license and not have the worry.

Even if you are in the right...you are in the wrong, and liable for any repairs, personal injury payments etc.

Let's not block up this cbr thread, so shall just say that this isn't true, based on the experiences of friends of mine.

So can anyone compare the DBS and Endurance exhausts? In terms of loudness.

And does having the DB killer fitted affect the performance?

Thanks.

I am about to buy a CBR150 (first bike) and read up on a number of things I should watch out for when buying a used bike (green book, engine/frame number...).

Since I might need to check the bike myself, can anyone tell me where on the CBR150 can I find the engine and frame numbers? (pictures would be appreciated :) )

In the same context - can someone recommend a mechanic (or anyone else who knows their stuff) who I could get for a fee and check the bike for me?

frame number is on the right side under the triple clamp, in front if the gas tank, engine number is on the left side around the gear shifter.