Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

Thanks for the feedback kermit. Do you reckon the feel of the ride is the same or better on the Pirellis? Seems the IRCs on the new 150 is a much better tyre than the IRCs that were fitted on the old 150. I think i am going to try the 110/70 & 140/70 combination; just can't decide whether to go for the Sports Demon or Diablo II. The Sports Demon is probably more than enough tyre for me, and worried that the 150 won't have enough power to get over the stickiness of the the Diablo IIs! :lol:

With the DBS exhaust do you reckon there was any difference in power? As jbeck said earlier, seems the power problem is at the fuel delivery end on this bike. I'm thinking of replacing the header pipe and cat (which is separate from the muffler) but keep the original muffler for the cops. At the very least it should save a few kgs.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the feedback kermit. Do you reckon the feel of the ride is the same or better on the Pirellis? Seems the IRCs on the new 150 is a much better tyre than the IRCs that were fitted on the old 150. I think i am going to try the 110/70 & 140/70 combination; just can't decide whether to go for the Sports Demon or Diablo II. The Sports Demon is probably more than enough tyre for me, and worried that the 150 won't have enough power to get over the stickiness of the the Diablo IIs! :lol:

With the DBS exhaust do you reckon there was any difference in power? As jbeck said earlier, seems the power problem is at the fuel delivery end on this bike. I'm thinking of replacing the header pipe and cat (which is separate from the muffler) but keep the original muffler for the cops. At the very least it should save a few kgs.

The feel is different for sure tho that could just be the larger rear tyre i have on now. Look in dry conditions the IRC's were great once they were warmed up, i had no problem with them, but in the wet it was a different story and where i live you tend to get a bit of sand on the road from time to time so again the Pirelli's win. Interesting tho my soi gets a bit muddy in the wet and the IRC's actually go through it a bit more stable then the Pirelli's tho i havnt completely worn the new tyres in yet. So to answer your question yes the Pirelli's feel better because they hold up in wet and dry where as the IRC's only hold up in the dry.

With the DBS exhaust there was a slight difference in acceleration, slightly smoother and just a touch quicker, although in second there was a spot where the revs would miss and the bike would cough out a little backfire apart from that i found it smooth. Going for a top speed run i hit 150 only 4kmh up from the stock with 146kmh, fully tucked in laying on the tank, tho this could of just been due to weather conditions. The thing about the DBS exhaust and the CBR150 is that on the 150 coz theres no power in it you ride in the high rpms but with the DBS exhaust anything above 5000rpm and your turning heads so when your keeping between 8500 and 10500 it just screams its head off. I posted some pics earlier and told how i jammed a silencer from another exhaust in there and bolted it on so it took a bit of the noise away but it was still very very loud. Yeh the bike is definately in need of some sort of power commander to fix the fuel delivery problem but with locally made exhausts your not really gona be blowing out any crazy HP figures so its not necessary if you dont mind a few flat spots. i see on aseanmoto they have a FI piggyback device i emailed them and they tested it and claims it works for 60USD but apart from that i havnt found anything

What i meant by feel of the ride was how it handled bumps and holes. Putting Michelin Pilot Sporty on the old 150 made going over small humps and holes so much nicer. Though the older 150 IRC tyres seemed to be made from plastic rather than rubber! I reckon the 130/80 you put on will certainly help in that respect.

It would be good to find something to increase the fuel delivery. I sent an email to API-Tech yesterday to get more info on their ECU for the 150, though as I don’t speak thai then half expecting not to get an answer. I might get my mechanic to ring them. Their website doesn’t say much, and it is strange that they have a dyno but don’t seem to have posted any dyno charts for their products; maybe I have missed that section of the website.

Friday was a good test of exactly why I bought the 150 over the 250; traffic jams. Due to the long weekend the traffic was more horrendous than usual but I was able to weave through wherever the scooters could go. No doubt the CBR250 would have handled most of it, but the 150 being slightly smaller and about 25-30 kgs lighter makes it a bit easier.

What i meant by feel of the ride was how it handled bumps and holes. Putting Michelin Pilot Sporty on the old 150 made going over small humps and holes so much nicer. Though the older 150 IRC tyres seemed to be made from plastic rather than rubber! I reckon the 130/80 you put on will certainly help in that respect.

It would be good to find something to increase the fuel delivery. I sent an email to API-Tech yesterday to get more info on their ECU for the 150, though as I don't speak thai then half expecting not to get an answer. I might get my mechanic to ring them. Their website doesn't say much, and it is strange that they have a dyno but don't seem to have posted any dyno charts for their products; maybe I have missed that section of the website.

Friday was a good test of exactly why I bought the 150 over the 250; traffic jams. Due to the long weekend the traffic was more horrendous than usual but I was able to weave through wherever the scooters could go. No doubt the CBR250 would have handled most of it, but the 150 being slightly smaller and about 25-30 kgs lighter makes it a bit easier.

To be honest i didnt notice much difference when it came to bumps but then again i wasnt really taking too much notice. I didnt come across any surprise pot holes on my ride so i cant give you any feedback about that just yet. If you hear back from API-Tech make sure you post about it, i checked out that website and im definately up for trying one of the ECU's.

Yeh thats much the same reason i bought the 150 over the 250, city traffic. If i was gona have more time on my hands to get out on some long rides i would of purchased the 250 for sure. Having ridden both bikes the handling in the city was pretty similar between the two, even doing some play racing through traffic and city roads you couldnt pick a clear winner, where sometimes the 250 would come out in front the 150 would come out in front just as many times. Where i found the 250 really came into its own was when the bikes were hitting just over 100kmh the 150 starts to get a bit tired where the 250 keeps going. Not to mention riding two up the 250 wins hands down, riding two up on the 150 while you'll still get past the PCX's etc. the little torque that the bike has has pretty much gone whereas on the 250 you've still got some left to zip in and out of traffic.

Yeh thats much the same reason i bought the 150 over the 250, city traffic. If i was gona have more time on my hands to get out on some long rides i would of purchased the 250 for sure.

Kermit....tell you what, I've got the tri-color 150 (first one sold in CM), and I use mine for long trips about twice a month. CM to ChumPhae (near Khon Kaen). 12 hours going over, sightseeing, 8 coming back. Last month did the Chiang Mai>Tak>Phitsanulock>Chiang Mai (770k) in ONE day, running 125-130 on the flats, and had zero problems, and a hell of a lot of fun. Granted, it could use a bit more torque in the mountains, but its just a matter of hitting the right gear and keep on going.

Yeh thats much the same reason i bought the 150 over the 250, city traffic. If i was gona have more time on my hands to get out on some long rides i would of purchased the 250 for sure.

Kermit....tell you what, I've got the tri-color 150 (first one sold in CM), and I use mine for long trips about twice a month. CM to ChumPhae (near Khon Kaen). 12 hours going over, sightseeing, 8 coming back. Last month did the Chiang Mai>Tak>Phitsanulock>Chiang Mai (770k) in ONE day, running 125-130 on the flats, and had zero problems, and a hell of a lot of fun. Granted, it could use a bit more torque in the mountains, but its just a matter of hitting the right gear and keep on going.

770kms in one day on the 150 thats impressive just1voice. I have no doubt the 150 will perform well on long trips and im itching to get out on a nice 500km ride. The reason why i would of chose the 250 if i was able to get out on longer rides would be for wear and tear on the bike because if i was going to use the bike for touring while i agree the 150 cruises fine at 125-130 its gona cruise even better and have less strain on the engine on the 250 if tourings a common thing. Then again if your only gona keep the bike a year or two until something else catches your eye theres noting to worry about

770kms in one day on the 150 thats impressive just1voice. I have no doubt the 150 will perform well on long trips and im itching to get out on a nice 500km ride. The reason why i would of chose the 250 if i was able to get out on longer rides would be for wear and tear on the bike because if i was going to use the bike for touring while i agree the 150 cruises fine at 125-130 its gona cruise even better and have less strain on the engine on the 250 if tourings a common thing. Then again if your only gona keep the bike a year or two until something else catches your eye theres noting to worry about

When the 150's first came out, I had long discussion with my wife about the pros/cons of both bikes, finally deciding to go with the 150 as half my normal driving is in the city (Chiang Mai), and the other half is just getting there and home again. Then, one Saturday morning around 10:00, and purely on a whim, I kissed the wife good bye and told her "I'll be home when I get here." and just took off. My plan was ride till I got tired. I ended up in ChumPhae, which is 70k south of Khon Kaen. Total of 12 hours. Spent the night, then decided to push the bike to see what it would do. After that I was pretty well sold on the bike. Doesn't mean that after a year or so I won't trade up, but for now I'm perfectly happy with this one and would have no problems keeping for much longer than that.

the new cbr 150 fi top speed

Thanks for the vid. I've done 130+ on mine more than a few times, and 135 at least twice, and still felt there was more if I wanted it. I've felt that 150 was possible, but was surprised to see 160+ on the video. I've got a tri-color, with the larger touring screen for wind deflection, and only tip the scales (now) at about 60kg, so I have no doubt that I could also do 160+ if I really wanted to. My question is, how stable did the bike feel at those speeds? On the old model 150, any time I went over 110, the bike just didn't feel stable, and felt like I could lose it at any time. No so with the new one so far, but I haven't pushed it over 135 yet, either. You have, so you should be able to tell me how stable it felt.

Thanks

Hi ! The bike felt very stable hence I was able to do that speed on a one handed ride (one hand holdung the camera )

Thanks

The rear shock on my 2 year old CBR 150 is kinda shot I think. Is there a good after market shock available or is the original honda part the best choice. Thanks. I tried googling but wasn't very succesful.

marcus

If you were happy with the standard shock, then get that.

If you want a firmer ride then try an aftermarket one.

A couple of places to try

www.akunar.com (don't have a listing for CBR but ring/email and ask)

http://www.faddybike.com/static/cbr150.htm

www.aseanmoto.com (Aseanmoto/Goodspeed - but their site seems to be down)

A few years ago i bought a Dexus rear shock from Akunar, it had the separate oil/gas canister. About THB2,300. Much firmer than the standard shock.

*snip*

It would be good to find something to increase the fuel delivery. I sent an email to API-Tech yesterday to get more info on their ECU for the 150, though as I don't speak thai then half expecting not to get an answer. I might get my mechanic to ring them. Their website doesn't say much, and it is strange that they have a dyno but don't seem to have posted any dyno charts for their products; maybe I have missed that section of the website.

*snip*

*snip*

If you hear back from API-Tech make sure you post about it, i checked out that website and im definately up for trying one of the ECU's.

*snip*

Got the mechanic to ring API-Tech. They will have a CBR150 ECU for road use, but haven't got all the programming done yet. When it is ready it will be posted on their website. They weren't sure when it was gonna be ready. It will increase power but no figure given.

Anyone got a photo or diagram of the internals of the muffler?

(Snipped parts of conversation not related to ECU)

Edited by taichiplanet

Got the mechanic to ring API-Tech. They will have a CBR150 ECU for road use, but haven't got all the programming done yet. When it is ready it will be posted on their website. They weren't sure when it was gonna be ready. It will increase power but no figure given.

So Honda are developing an aftermarket ECU for the new 150?.. and the 250?

i don't know if API-Tech is connected to Honda or not. Anyone know?

On their website, they also have an ECU for the CBR250 but didn't ask about it.

the new cbr 150 fi top speed

Thanks for the vid. I've done 130+ on mine more than a few times, and 135 at least twice, and still felt there was more if I wanted it. I've felt that 150 was possible, but was surprised to see 160+ on the video. I've got a tri-color, with the larger touring screen for wind deflection, and only tip the scales (now) at about 60kg, so I have no doubt that I could also do 160+ if I really wanted to. My question is, how stable did the bike feel at those speeds? On the old model 150, any time I went over 110, the bike just didn't feel stable, and felt like I could lose it at any time. No so with the new one so far, but I haven't pushed it over 135 yet, either. You have, so you should be able to tell me how stable it felt.

Thanks

Hi ! The bike felt very stable hence I was able to do that speed on a one handed ride (one hand holdung the camera )

Thanks

Well done, 160+ on the 150. What were the road conditions like? How about the wind? Were there any hills? Any modifications to the bike? How much do you weigh? Thanks.

Brian

Edited by SumetCycle

No connection with. I know a few of the guys on both sides.

KRS1, can you ask API-Tech when the road ECM for the CBR150 will be ready; ta muchly.

Edited by taichiplanet

There ready to roll brotha Released

Got a thai mechanic to ring them a few days ago, API said not ready yet. Maybe they are having some issue with the programming for the road version, as said they are still working on it. If that is the case, it is good that they are trying to sort any problems before selling it.