Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does this bike hold up in the wet with the factory tyres?

I always ride mine quite cautiously around town in the wet, and watch all the Clicks and Mio's etc fly past me. I just wonder if I'm being over cautious.

I always ride mine quite cautiously around town in the wet, and watch all the Clicks and Mio's etc fly past me. I just wonder if I'm being over cautious.

With better tyres and brakes than the scoots have you have a better chance of keeping upright. But stick to being cautious....less chance of meeting those click and Mio riders in the hospital emergency room where many of them finish up.

With better tyres and brakes than the scoots have you have a better chance of keeping upright. But stick to being cautious....less chance of meeting those click and Mio riders in the hospital emergency room where many of them finish up.

Agreed. Dry weather, on the highways when I do my trips, 125-130 is normal. If it rains, I'm down to 60, and usually looking for one of those little bus stops along the highway and just pull the whole bike in and wait it out. In the city, raining, VERY cautions, and don't give a crap about the helmet-less idiots flying by me. My ego is just fine and being cautions makes sure my body is as well.

Agreed. Dry weather, on the highways when I do my trips, 125-130 is normal. If it rains, I'm down to 60, and usually looking for one of those little bus stops along the highway and just pull the whole bike in and wait it out. In the city, raining, VERY cautions, and don't give a crap about the helmet-less idiots flying by me. My ego is just fine and being cautions makes sure my body is as well.

I'm usually around 50-60 around town in the wet, yet i seem to go a bit faster or feel more confident when I'm on my Honda Airblade. I just thought my cautiousness on the CBR was perhaps misplaced, as I had read a few things on here that the factory tyres aren't that good in the wet.

I'm usually around 50-60 around town in the wet, yet i seem to go a bit faster or feel more confident when I'm on my Honda Airblade. I just thought my cautiousness on the CBR was perhaps misplaced, as I had read a few things on here that the factory tyres aren't that good in the wet.

The ICR's on the new 150 appear to be, at least to me, a better quality overall than the ones on the old 150. My wife also had a new Air Blade a couple of years ago, and like you, I had no problems doing faster speeds on it in the rain than the CBR. However, I think that's due more to the "feel" of the bike. The Air Blade, being smaller and lighter in weight, give you the perception that it "feels" more manageable than the much larger and heavier CBR, when the reality is that the CBR will handle just as well, and just as fast under the same conditions, and probably better due to better tires and brakes, as mentioned by Visions.

There are some tires which handle much better in the rain, such as Bridgestone Batlax, and Pirelli, if you spend the money for them.

Be that as it may, I'll still take the "cautious approach" to riding in the rain. Better safe than sorry.

Just put on 100/80 front and 120/80 rear, sticks like glue through the curves and pitches much more easily when literally thrown into a curve. Handling is no longer neutral though, and wants to go immediately in the direction you steer it, especially if your leaning hard. I'm going to drop the front an inch and see how it handles then.

To put on 100/80 front you have to remove the screw boots lodged in the font fender screw holes to elevate the fender an extra 3 mm. 100/70 probably wouldn't encounter any clearance problems since its a shorter tire.

FINALLY!!!

Ok, 1 race does not make it "official", but I've been wanting to run against a D-Tracker 150 for a long time now, and finally got my chance today. Was heading to Macro, going up 118 when one went past. No problem. We both had to stop at the light at hwy 11. I looked over at him, he looked at me, we both nodded, and it was on. Clear highway in front of us till the next light. I beat him off the line, and it was over with after that. While I didn't blow him away by any means, the distance between us grew steadily as he just couldn't keep up.

Maybe if I get another chance the outcome will be different, but for now I'm grinning and saying "Oh, yeah, we be bad!"

:cheesy:

FINALLY!!!

Ok, 1 race does not make it "official", but I've been wanting to run against a D-Tracker 150 for a long time now, and finally got my chance today. Was heading to Macro, going up 118 when one went past. No problem. We both had to stop at the light at hwy 11. I looked over at him, he looked at me, we both nodded, and it was on. Clear highway in front of us till the next light. I beat him off the line, and it was over with after that. While I didn't blow him away by any means, the distance between us grew steadily as he just couldn't keep up.

Maybe if I get another chance the outcome will be different, but for now I'm grinning and saying "Oh, yeah, we be bad!"

D-TRACKER 250 OR 125 but not 150.

FINALLY!!!

oops, my bad. you're correct. had to have been the 125, so, yeah, that makes a difference. I'd probably have one if I did off roading like in my younger days, but not good for my needs now.

Anyway, forgot a small item in my exuberance at winning again. lol

Edited by Just1Voice

FINALLY!!!

oops, my bad. you're correct. had to have been the 125, so, yeah, that makes a difference. I'd probably have one if I did off roading like in my younger days, but not good for my needs now.

The 125 looks really SMALL

FINALLY!!!

The 125 looks really SMALL

Ok, this D-Tracker was not that small. About the same size as my CBR. Maybe it was the 250, and he just missed a shift or something, but whatever it was, once I hit 2nd gear I steadily pulled away. Don't know. Will have to find another one and see what happens. lol

LOL

Let us know what happens when you encounter an old CBR 150.

If you see one with a big tire on front barely clearing the fender, better have your race face on. B)

LOL

Let us know what happens when you encounter an old CBR 150.

If you see one with a big tire on front barely clearing the fender, better have your race face on. B)

Actually, I've already raced, and beaten, 4 of them. The first one just a week or so after getting the new one. The only one that I didn't was on the highway back from Phitsanuloc, to Chiang Mai. Two up (loan sharks), and even when I was doing 135, they were STILL pulling away from me like I would do with a Nouvo 135. Have no idea what they did to it, but there's no way that bike was stock.

The ones that make me laugh are the guys on the Phantoms. It's so easy to embarrass them that I almost - almost - feel ashamed of myself for doing it. Hell, my buddy's Lifan 250B will leave them behind!

Regardless, I have fun and enjoy the hell out of my 150. The tri-color STILL draws people's attention, and the trips I take on it are a blast. Except for the one to Nakon Sawan. The highway from Khamphaeng Phet to Nakon was HELL, regardless of whether you were in a car or on a bike.

P.S. Unless It's a 250, or something bigger, I've ALWAYS got my race face on. hahaha.

:jap:

Tri Color ehh? There was a tri color trying to follow me down the mountain the other day after stopping at the viewpoint half way up.

But i lost him :ph34r:... lol that you?

Well it's 6:05pm, time to hit the mountain and get my lean on. ;)

Edited by KRS1

Tri Color ehh? There was a tri color trying to follow me down the mountain the other day after stopping at the viewpoint half way up.

But i lost him :ph34r:... lol that you?

Nope. After my last trip 3 weeks ago, I've just been hanging around the house. We're doing so things to get ready to sell it, so about the only place I go now is into C.M. or BoSang if I need something. But told my wife today, sometime next week, when we're done, I'm gone. For a couple of days. Been south and east, so maybe head up to Mai Sai or Pai. I've heard the road to Pai is a good one if you like mountains and twisties. Once the rainy season is pretty much over - about middle of next month - THEN I'll sit down and map out a much longer trip. Say down to Se Sa Ket, Rayong, over to BKK and then back. Anyone want to join me?

:partytime2:

P.S. I know of 1, and possibly 2 other tri-colors here in C.M. , and when I was in Lamphang 2 weeks ago, I saw one there as well. If it's me, it's easy to tell. I'm always wearing either the tri-color Honda racing jacket, or my black protective upper body armor, which my wife calls my "Alien Suit". Also, always have white REAL full helmet with U.S. Flag stickers on either side. I don't ride without them, even down to the market just 1 kilometer away.

I'd be up for the ride to Pai, been meaning to check that out for a while now, hopefully i can keep up lol....hmmm may have to break out the NSR for this one.Think i may have seen your flagged helmet before.

Have to run down to Bangkok soon to pay a maintenence fee and pick up a 2 stage cdi thats been collecting dust for a year now. Cams,32mm carb, +6mm stroke and 67mm high compression piston coming soon !

Oh yeah, my bikes grey with a 1 inch front drop.

I'd be up for the ride to Pai, been meaning to check that out for a while now, hopefully i can keep up lol....hmmm may have to break out the NSR for this one.Think i may have seen your flagged helmet before.

Have to run down to Bangkok soon to pay a maintenence fee and pick up a 2 stage cdi thats been collecting dust for a year now. Cams,32mm carb, +6mm stroke and 67mm high compression piston coming soon !

Oh yeah, my bikes grey with a 1 inch front drop.

gray? 150? or 250?

150 old style...going to modify it to kill the 250 :whistling:

ahhh, I see. lol

good luck on that, and I hope you have, or are planning on, switching to a better tire? No way I'd trust the stock IRC from the old one on a 150 at those speeds.

Even on the straights, just too narrow, too hard.

Black Windscreen anyone?

post-118861-0-77688500-1311932040_thumb.

Red, is that larger windscreen, or stock size for the 150? I've already got the larger windscreen put on, but was just curious.

Judging by the image it's stock size. It goes over the clear windscreen, just like the touring one.

It's been pretty windy lately that I have to hunch a bit when I'm riding, I'd just probably get the touring screen. If there's one on stock tomorrow at the shop I'll get it, if not I'll think about it.

ahhh, I see. lol

good luck on that, and I hope you have, or are planning on, switching to a better tire? No way I'd trust the stock IRC from the old one on a 150 at those speeds.

I thought you were going to say 'hope i have health insurance'...lol

yep already switched out 100/80 front 120/80 rear. NSR swingarm next for longer wheelbase and better stability, the stock swingarm is like a pair of chopsticks and can barely handle the 120 rear when the shock is rebounding, too much flex. Going to fit Sp150 Pro arm fairings also for better aerodynamics and less brutal wind resistance, there's 7 mounting points to secure it. The NSR-RR also uses an 18" rear wheel so am also considering that, but will probably stick with 17" for less weight and better acceleration.

I figure about 10k baht to get it all in order, i bought an OLD one just for this reason since its going to be almost a complete rebuild anyway.If i can hit 165kph and get there quickly, i'll be happy :)

and of course bigger brakes ;)

ahhh, I see. lol

I thought you were going to say 'hope i have health insurance'...lol

yep already switched out 100/80 front 120/80 rear. NSR swingarm next for longer wheelbase and better stability, the stock swingarm is like a pair of chopsticks and can barely handle the 120 rear when the shock is rebounding, too much flex. Going to fit Sp150 Pro arm fairings also for better aerodynamics and less brutal wind resistance, there's 7 mounting points to secure it. The NSR-RR also uses an 18" rear wheel so am also considering that, but will probably stick with 17" for less weight and better acceleration.

I figure about 10k baht to get it all in order, i bought an OLD one just for this reason since its going to be almost a complete rebuild anyway.If i can hit 165kph and get there quickly, i'll be happy :)

and of course bigger brakes ;)

Hey KRS1, You are doing so much to the bike, why dont you go all the way and fit a 250VTR twin into the frame also??? Then there would be no question about showin ur exhaust to the CBR250s.

Hey KRS1, You are doing so much to the bike, why dont you go all the way and fit a 250VTR twin into the frame also??? Then there would be no question about showin ur exhaust to the CBR250s.

Hummmm, that makes me wonder....could I swap my 150 engine for a 250? If possible, now THAT would fool the crap of a few people who thought they were going against a 150.

:o

Ahh, the fun would never end. Besides, I love my tri-color paint scheme.