Cameras in home

Captor

Hi, I am planning to install 3-4 cameras in home (in Bangkok west) in order to avoid burglary. To avoid and prevent and if happen anyway then it could help the polices work to find the perpetrator.

What should I think about? What brand is good? Cameras should work well in darkness as well. And it should be with storage of the videos online I think. How to solve that? Maybe there are packages out there (in Bangkok west) with cameras, installation and the cloud solution? Should be stored at least 1 week in the cloud. I have no experience about this at all so any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Edited by Captor
  • Like 1

Hikvision are a very good brand, but there are many others. 

You will have a control box that connects to a monitor for your viewing and playback, and will also connect to your WiFi. 

This gives you the capability to download an app from playstore or appstore, and watch, and playback, record and take screenshots onto you're mobile device. 

You should put a lot of thought into where you position the cameras in order to optimise your viewing, and your potential deterrent

Though most brands boast great pic quality, I find that the quality dramatically drops after dark, so good exterior lighting is also advised. 

I had good luck with VStarcams, but there are many choices.  The VStarcams didn't require a dedicated video recorder, but did take some knowledge to get them to record to the cloud in case the computers and cameras themselves were stolen.

I'd also point out that they won't deter burglary.  They may (or may not) make it easier to identify the culprits after the fact.  Especially useful if it's someone you already know.  And they can be programmed to let you know when someone's already in your home.    But I'd suggest motion sensing lights and perimeter alarms if you actually want burglars to move onto the next house BEFORE you incur a loss.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captor said:

To avoid and prevent and if happen anyway then it could help the polices work to find the perpetrator.

They only have to wear a hat to render them useless. My wife insisted on us having some outside the house but a waste of money, IMO. How are you going to hide them so the burglars don't know they are there and steal the recording unit

it could help the polices work to find the perpetrator.

LOL. where do you think you are? You really think the cops are going to put any energy to finding a Thai crook that burgled a farang? They certainly didn't help me when we were burgled.

IMO spend the money on building security and buy a proper safe for valuables. That's what I did.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

The best advice would be to keep expensive items in a safe place at a bank. 

So more cameras you've got, so more burglars want to get into your house.

Please have a look here:

https://www.invadeit.co.th/category/surveilance-cameras/

Good point, but that would apply to cameras outside the house. The OP apparently wants to put them inside.

I have two widely different solutions:

1 - Collect as many no longer wanted Android and or Iphones

and Use the Free app 'Alfred home security'

The Free original version gives:

7 days dedicated Alfred cloud storage

Unlimited numbers of phone 'Camera' connections

Unlimited number of phone Camera 'viewer' connection  

I have currently 6 androids a s Cameras, and my SIM android phone itself as the Viewer

Everything connects together via the home wifi (you can even have all running (on a network) from your SIM phones own hotspot 

Paid Subscription is equivalent US29/yr

- which give HiDef

- Zoom

- 30 days cloud storage

All versions are;

Low Light settable.

Audio (Two-way) using a PTT activation. 

Remote CamFlash/flood light activation.

All video streams can be downloaded to the Viewer Phone, for posterity (i.e.incident evidence)

Recommended minimum Android6.** 

Ultimate configuration tried, was to use 4 Cam Phones in the car, all wifi slaved to the SIM Viewer phone.

- gives fully recordable 360 degrees. This was the ultimate test of the Master SIM Phone Hotspot, running the 4 slaves

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They only have to wear a hat to render them useless. My wife insisted on us having some outside the house but a waste of money, IMO. How are you going to hide them so the burglars don't know they are there and steal the recording unit

LOL. where do you think you are? You really think the cops are going to put any energy to finding a Thai crook that burgled a farang? They certainly didn't help me when we were burgled.

IMO spend the money on building security and buy a proper safe for valuables. That's what I did.

Or build a special wall that doesn't show that there's a hidden space. Very expensive items should never be in a house in Thailand.

And it's very true that often the own family is part of the burglary.

So, it might be good not to mention to anybody where you're hiding your stuff. 

2nd Solution involving home pc, and whatever ptv etc ipcams you can get hold of...

I got some cheap chinese PTV units, no need for same brands even...

image.png.0880b95dc9199f9c473f0af991cc5ce2.png

Used PC Apps

- iSpy

- IP Camera Viewer 4

iSpy enables free storage on the PC

IP Camera Viewer would cost a subscription

I have various PTV ipcams running on both Apps - but forward them all to the iSpy for the Recording...

Edited by tifino

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thanks, that why I specific asked for a cloud solution. And I am NOT going to hide them. As I mentioned in my topic I want them for preventing burglary also. Maybe most.

2 hours ago, northsouthdevide said:

Hikvision are a very good brand, but there are many others. 

You will have a control box that connects to a monitor for your viewing and playback, and will also connect to your WiFi. 

This gives you the capability to download an app from playstore or appstore, and watch, and playback, record and take screenshots onto you're mobile device. 

You should put a lot of thought into where you position the cameras in order to optimise your viewing, and your potential deterrent

Though most brands boast great pic quality, I find that the quality dramatically drops after dark, so good exterior lighting is also advised. 

Thanks, I will look into that brand. Sounds good.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

I had good luck with VStarcams, but there are many choices.  The VStarcams didn't require a dedicated video recorder, but did take some knowledge to get them to record to the cloud in case the computers and cameras themselves were stolen.

I'd also point out that they won't deter burglary.  They may (or may not) make it easier to identify the culprits after the fact.  Especially useful if it's someone you already know.  And they can be programmed to let you know when someone's already in your home.    But I'd suggest motion sensing lights and perimeter alarms if you actually want burglars to move onto the next house BEFORE you incur a loss.

Thanks, yes an alarm as well will be best. Together with the cameras.

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

VStar cam and app or laptop cheap easy to setup got 3 in the UK and 2 in Thailand running with little trouble for 4 years+????

Thank you very much. I will look into that brand as well.

1 hour ago, tifino said:

I have two widely different solutions:

1 - Collect as many no longer wanted Android and or Iphones

and Use the Free app 'Alfred home security'

The Free original version gives:

7 days dedicated Alfred cloud storage

Unlimited numbers of phone 'Camera' connections

Unlimited number of phone Camera 'viewer' connection  

I have currently 6 androids a s Cameras, and my SIM android phone itself as the Viewer

Everything connects together via the home wifi (you can even have all running (on a network) from your SIM phones own hotspot 

Paid Subscription is equivalent US29/yr

- which give HiDef

- Zoom

- 30 days cloud storage

All versions are;

Low Light settable.

Audio (Two-way) using a PTT activation. 

Remote CamFlash/flood light activation.

All video streams can be downloaded to the Viewer Phone, for posterity (i.e.incident evidence)

Recommended minimum Android6.** 

Ultimate configuration tried, was to use 4 Cam Phones in the car, all wifi slaved to the SIM Viewer phone.

- gives fully recordable 360 degrees. This was the ultimate test of the Master SIM Phone Hotspot, running the 4 slaves

Wow, interesting. I will look into this Alfred solution. Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teacherclaire said:

Or build a special wall that doesn't show that there's a hidden space. Very expensive items should never be in a house in Thailand.

And it's very true that often the own family is part of the burglary.

So, it might be good not to mention to anybody where you're hiding your stuff. 

Actually I am more worried about protecting the humans inside then the stuff that is in a bank account anyway.

• Like 1

In Thailand, if you get burgled, provide CCTV footage to the police and a sizeable envelope nothing will still happen. Friend of mine has a mini-resort in Hua Hin with multiple cameras and was burgled. Luckily they only got away with an ageing laptop and the petty cash, but police were about as much use as a chocolate teapot. The best way to avoid being robbed in Thailand is to simply not have anything worth stealing, the cost of keeping your valuables at the bank will be less than what you spend on security systems.   

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SteveK said:

In Thailand, if you get burgled, provide CCTV footage to the police and a sizeable envelope nothing will still happen. Friend of mine has a mini-resort in Hua Hin with multiple cameras and was burgled. Luckily they only got away with an ageing laptop and the petty cash, but police were about as much use as a chocolate teapot. The best way to avoid being robbed in Thailand is to simply not have anything worth stealing, the cost of keeping your valuables at the bank will be less than what you spend on security systems.   

well I had one of my units burned down every thing on camera the cops did nothing

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SteveK said:

The best way to avoid being robbed in Thailand is to simply not have anything worth stealing, the cost of keeping your valuables at the bank will be less than what you spend on security systems.   

That's the same logic as the guys who tell you the best way not to get mugged is to never carry much in your wallet.  As if a mugger or a burglar knows what you have before they've already mugged you, or the burglar has violated your home.  The trauma of being mugged or burglarized would far exceed the loss of a few bob or some toys.

It's the same with discretely placed cameras.  They may help you catch the culprit, but then most of the trauma is already burned into your memory.  Not to mention the potential harm to loved ones who may be home.

Which brings me back to my original suggestion.  Focus on sending burglars on to easier pickings.  Let's face it- a hungry burglar is going to break in somewhere to feed his habit or his family.  My objective is to make my home less attractive than other homes in the area.  (It's like that old joke about outrunning your buddy and not the bear that's chasing you both)  That means motion sensing lights and perimeter alarms, and maybe very visible cameras to let the guy know mine's not going to be an easy house to rob- go next door.   

That said, I did like my security cameras where I could program them to alert me if there was any movement in my apartment.   It was never a burglar, but I did get notified when the maintenance guys accessed my place to change A/C filters, spray for bugs, or look for piping leaks.

Edited by impulse