House Purchase

When one purchases a freehold property and land, what is the proceedure for exhange of the deeds etc. Is it just a case of both parties going to the land office, changing the names on the land registry and handing over the deeds (and the cash of course). The land is Nor Sor Sam and this is information out of interest to educate myself, prior to the lawyers meeting later in the week/

Thanks

Roughly, and I am open to correction on this, one can 'buy' a house through a Thai-registered company of which the farang may own 49% (or is it 39% as you are dealing with property?). The balance must be made up of Thai shareholders.

One can also rent the land upon which the house is built, for 30 years, with 30-year extension options.

If you have a Thai partner, then that partner can buy the land.

Thank you for the information on whether or not a Farang can own land and/or a company. However this is not the information I asked for and as so often happens on this forum some people tend to jump in and reply with negativity straight away. (quote" A Farang Cannot Own Land")

I did not mention if the purchase was for a Farang or a Thai, and I did not ask whether a Farang is 'allowed' to buy or lease land.

I asked what is the legal proceedure when one buys a house - in relation to the transfer of deeds/NorSorSam and the registration.

I appreciate that there is good intent on the forum, but I would still like to know the information originally asked for, if anyone knows

Thanks

When wife purchased land she and seller went to local amphur office and changed title and exchanged monies. Land was also nor sor sam, which was changed later to a chinot.When changing title a tax will have to be paid, I think it's about2-3% of the recorded sale price. So most put a lower price. No need for lawyer really.

Thank you for replying to my question. That is roughly what I had heard happens, and all seems very low-key to me. I assume (maybe wrongly) that the Land Office check that the land belongs to whoever is trying to sell it by matching the name on the title with the ID card of the seller? The biggest worry is that people sell us something that doesn't belong to them - and of course this doesn't only apply to houses!

But as mentioned the owners land is registered to mr/mrs xxxx and only they can transfer it in person - so should be fine. (or as fine as can be in Thailand)

Thank you for the information on whether or not a Farang can own land and/or a company. However this is not the information I asked for and as so often happens on this forum some people tend to jump in and reply with negativity straight away. (quote" A Farang Cannot Own Land")

I did not mention if the purchase was for a Farang or a Thai, and I did not ask whether a Farang is 'allowed' to buy or lease land.

Seems like you understand what happens on this forum.

so with that understanding,why would you only post part of the information you were looking for an answer to,everyone assumed that it was a farang buying the land as a Thai should know what to expect.

When one purchases a freehold property and land, what is the proceedure for exhange of the deeds etc.

KevinN

Why is this only "part of the information I was looking for"

I know what information I was looking for - as I wrote the post

It seems quite straight forward to me

I can't find anywhere in the post that says "Is a farang allowed to buy land"

and even if it is a Farang buying land, it still doesn't answer the post.

If a farang does buy land (by whatever means) he may still wish to know what legal proceedure to expect and therefore is quite entitled to post a question on here to be answered by those who know the answer.

On the subject of assumptions, you indeed assume that a Thai would already know the answer and therefore would not ask such a question.

1) The person wanting to know the original question is Thai - sorry to disappoint you

2) Why are there so many Thais on here asking a multitude of different questions if of course they should already know the answer being Thai

3) My wife and myself will continue to post questions on this forum when we wish to find out information which we do not know and this is irrespective of whether we should or should not know the answer by virtue of our nationality.

When one purchases a freehold property and land, what is the proceedure for exhange of the deeds etc.

KevinN

Why is this only "part of the information I was looking for"

I know what information I was looking for - as I wrote the post

It seems quite straight forward to me

I can't find anywhere in the post that says "Is a farang allowed to buy land"

and even if it is a Farang buying land, it still doesn't answer the post.

If a farang does buy land (by whatever means) he may still wish to know what legal proceedure to expect and therefore is quite entitled to post a question on here to be answered by those who know the answer.

On the subject of assumptions, you indeed assume that a Thai would already know the answer and therefore would not ask such a question.

1) The person wanting to know the original question is Thai - sorry to disappoint you

2) Why are there so many Thais on here asking a multitude of different questions if of course they should already know the answer being Thai

3) My wife and myself will continue to post questions on this forum when we wish to find out information which we do not know and this is irrespective of whether we should or should not know the answer by virtue of our nationality.

Well excusssseeeee me, But I still say that this Thai Expat Forum,and a bunch of expats here and try to answer questions for expats to the best of their knowledge.

So they assumed you were an expat asking the question,as why would a Thai ask a bunch of farang about the gov't laws in the Thai's own country?

Just seems to me that a Thai would know who to ask to get the right answers,like maybe phone or visit the local amphur office.

3) My wife and myself will continue to post questions on this forum when we wish to find out information which we do not know and this is irrespective of whether we should or should not know the answer by virtue of our nationality."

As far as I can see,That is your own choice,but if your Thai wife has to come on an expat forum to get answers to what the laws are in her own country ,especially laws governing what a Thai citizen can do, then maybe you should learn to accept some stupid answers[in your estimation] to questions. Where did you get her anyway,?dig her out of the mud in a paddy field?

But anyway I ain't gonna get in a pissing contest with you over your sources of info, but I would think from the Thanks you gave to all who answered your post to the best of their knowledge,that you can expect very few answers to additional questions unless you either change your attitude or your user name. :o

KevinN

You chose to reply to my post with absolutely no information regarding my question - so why choose to write something - other than to have a dig at people.

perhaps you have nothing better to do with your time.

My post said that the information required was to get a little inside information prior to meeting with the lawyer.

We are intelligent enough to have tried phoning the land registry office and did not receive a suitable reply and merely wished to know what happens 'in real life'

The fact that you have chosen to insult my wife because neither she nor I knew something and asked if anyone could help is a reflection on yourself.

"Where did i 'get' her" - we met at University, no where near a rice field.

Thank goodness you are in a minority on this forum

I leave whilst retaining my dignity and self respect.

I asked what is the legal proceedure when one buys a house - in relation to the transfer of deeds/NorSorSam and the registration.

If you and your wife are both Thai then the procedure is straightforward as previously described - both parties to the sale go to the amphur with ID and alter the title deeds and pay the dues. You take a copy of the title deed and a copy is kept at the amphur. Lawyers are rarely involved but I have had experience where officials from the amphur measure up the land and put boundry pegs in the ground.

If you are non-Thai and your wife is Thai and she wants to purchase the land you would also need to attend the amphur and testify that you have no interest in the land.

Take a book and be prepared for a long wait at the amphur - sounds simple but there's always some small snag which takes time to sort out!

I MUST say this.....

The people on this Forum are almost always unstinting with their good (mostly)

advice and patience. I have benefited greatly in the past, so I speak from personal experience.

The only time they get a bit touchy, is when new posters don't bother to check out the vast number of previous posts, to see if it has been covered already.

AND BUYING HOUSES HAS, MANY TIMES! Recently for me.......

My gratitude knows no bounds, Guys.

• 2 weeks later...

DavidCharles

I totally agree with your comments and I too am really grateful for the information I have received in the past on this forum.

If a respondent gets "a bit touchy" if a posting has been covered already, why do they not just ignore it and move on. Lets face it, about half of the questions on this forum have been asked before and for one reason or another somebody felt they needed to ask a question which at times can be really worrying for them and to hear others experiences of the same situation can be comforting. Perhaps they have looked for the information and cannot find it, or any number of other reasons. This is an open forum and unfortunately there are one or two 'know-it-alls who seem to relish distributing their apparent wisdom on Thailand to those who need help

Nobody makes anyone reply to a post so if it "makes you touchy" - move on!

What is most unhelpful is when people post something which bears no relation to the question and tells the (possibly worried) poster nothing about his problem.

What was completely uncalled for is to insult somebody they know nothing about, and as God is my witness if that person had insulted my wife in such a maner to my face - I would have floored him. It was totally uncalled for and as stated is a reflection on the person themselves.

I posted a question, had some 'sensible' replies to which I am grateful and then one or two replies which were of no help whatsoever - so again I ask, why bother to reply.

Some people need to get down off their pedestal and realise that not everyone on here is an 'old-Thai-hand'.

I hope this explains my reaction previously

Regards.