Moving to Thailand, building a House, Visa and Money

About buying land...  just my two cents here:  I have learned that some land and condos have a proper deed (chanote), but some do not.  Some countryside land has not been registered for deeds by the Land Office, but the local council (amphoe) may have some parallel system to register land, but this registration does not give you any rights to ownership.  This makes re-sale very difficult, as few buyers want such "semi-registered" land.

For you, it may not make a difference, but keep in mind that if there is no deed, you will have trouble selling.

Two things to remember;

1.  Any money you bring into Thailand will have to be left there if you decide to go back to your home country.

2.  When building a house etc.  everything take longer and cost more than you expect.

From experience these are the realities of living in Thailand.

14 hours ago, Robin said:

Two things to remember;

1.  Any money you bring into Thailand will have to be left there if you decide to go back to your home country.

2.  When building a house etc.  everything take longer and cost more than you expect.

From experience these are the realities of living in Thailand.

HUH?

i have brought $$ in, brought land, built a house, ( took 1 month longer than the 6 month contract stated), sold land and house 10 years later and took the $$ out and came in right on budget, even down to the custom kitchen.

Zero problems

R home.JPG

Phuket

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, zzzzz said:

HUH?

i have brought $$ in, brought land, built a house, ( took 1 month longer than the 6 month contract stated), sold land and house 10 years later and took the $$ out and came in right on budget, even down to the custom kitchen.

Zero problems

R home.JPG

Phuket

#1 would not be due to capital outflow regulations but probably the experience of most people moving to Thailand.

#2 most (probably the vast majority) people  under-budget a house building exercise.  You are awesome to be able to do it within a budget.

44 minutes ago, Skylight said:

1 would not be due to capital outflow regulations but probably the experience of most people moving to Thailand.

#2 most (probably the vast majority) people  under-budget a house building exercise.  You are awesome to be able to do it within a budget.

Ive taken millions of baht out of Thailand with no issue and sent it back home through simple bank transfers. 

As long as you have a thai bank account in your name and all of your funds going into Thailand funnel through that account, you can send back out of Thailand the same amount you’ve brought in throughout the years  

1 hour ago, Mama Noodle said:

Ive taken millions of baht out of Thailand with no issue and sent it back home through simple bank transfers. 

As long as you have a thai bank account in your name and all of your funds going into Thailand funnel through that account, you can send back out of Thailand the same amount you’ve brought in throughout the years  

It would not likely be due to legal or technical reasons.  There are other reasons.....

1 minute ago, Skylight said:

It would not likely be due to legal or technical reasons.  There are other reasons.....

Bangkok Banks written policy is the reason. 

You can take out whatever money you brought in as long as it’s documented. 

It’s not a one way street as long as you follow procedure. If you don’t you can still take it out, but you’ll be taxed. 

On 9/5/2020 at 2:08 AM, BritManToo said:

Get her to take out a mortgage, keep your money in the bank for your retirement VISA extensions, or buy an Elite VISA with it.

Just give me one sensible factor that makes it better to take a loan on something you have the money to buy and therefore pay extra interest?

On 9/6/2020 at 12:51 AM, typeatme said:

Prachuab Khiri Khan....

Building house, 150m from beach

Given the rates of coastal erosion on the gulf coast I would sit my house a bit further back than that!