Using monthly US Social Security payments for an Extension of Stay

I’ve been living in Bangkok since 2007 and have used a Non O A visa for the purpose of retirement since I arrived. I’ve relied on the US Embassy Income Validation Affidavit as proof of financial assets every year until 2019. When the recent changes were announced about the embassy letter, I decided I didn’t want to have 800,000 baht tied up for 5 months. So, I switched to a Married to Thai reason for my 2019 Extension of Stay and put 400,000 baht in the bank. Other than a few snide comments to my wife when sitting with the Immigration officer, things went smoothly.

Around this time, the US Social Security administration announced that they would deposit SS payments into Thai bank accounts. For the past 12 months, I’ve had mine deposited into my KBank account. This December, when I go to get my extension of stay, I’d prefer to use the monthly deposits (it’s more than the 40,000 baht requirement) instead of the 400,000 baht in the bank. 

It’s getting close to the time that I need to put the 400,000 baht in my account if I go that route. I’ve thought about being ready with both – just in case. But, I’d rather not unless necessary. I’d like any advice/comments/experiences on taking a chance on the monthly deposits as proof of financial assets. Thanks.

Thanks, Joe. I appreciate the information. I downloded a couple of statements and saw that these transfers have a BINT00001 code. It doesn't sound like that will be enough proof. I'll check with my branch. And, I'll bring my SSA-1099 and COLA letter.

9 minutes ago, bdevaux said:

Thanks, Joe. I appreciate the information. I downloded a couple of statements and saw that these transfers have a BINT00001 code. It doesn't sound like that will be enough proof. I'll check with my branch. And, I'll bring my SSA-1099 and COLA letter.

When you apply you will need 12 months of bank statements and copies of you bank book. Also a letter confirming your account from the bank.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have used the income proven by transfers of my SSA payment into a Thai bank for 2 extensions based upon marriage.

The most important thing you to have to have is proof of the transfers came from abroad. You will likely have to get credit advises to prove that since your transfers are coming through the Bank of Thailand before being credited to your account at KBank. Ask you local branch about getting them.

I used my SSA-1099 for last year and the COLA letter sent to me in December to prove the source of my income.

What is a "credit advises"

3 minutes ago, Boit said:

Ubon Joe - Can I use my SS income of about $20,000.00 along with a letter from my bank for the difference to satisfy the $800,000.00 requirements for a non-immigrant O visa? 

You can use the combination option of money in the bank and income totaling 800k baht to apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement. You will need 12 months of bank statements showing your income from abroad when you apply.

• Like 1