Thai Tourism Growing, With High-end Emphasis

george

If a Government in a not yet fully developed country was serving It's people, they would welcome a broad brush range of tourists, as solely " high end" would almost inevitably spend their " high end cash " in properties owned by a few members of a ruling elite. Mom and Pop stores, guest houses , restaurants etc would not get a look-in and the wealth gap would grow ever larger, unless you wished your offspring a life of servitude serving the " high enders" or the "upper crust" who are benefiting.

Thank G-od Thailand is not like that.

And the chedi in chiang mai was built to beautify the Night bazaar area?

It looks like a prison from the outside.

I wonder what the new shangri la is going to look like.

The elite has invested in many high priced hotels in chiang mai they have to figure out some way to fill the $350 per night rooms.

If a Government in a not yet fully developed country was serving It's people, they would welcome a broad brush range of tourists, as solely " high end" would almost inevitably spend their " high end cash " in properties owned by a few members of a ruling elite. Mom and Pop stores, guest houses , restaurants etc would not get a look-in and the wealth gap would grow ever larger, unless you wished your offspring a life of servitude serving the " high enders" or the "upper crust" who are benefiting.

The elite has invested in many high priced hotels in chiang mai they have to figure out some way to fill the $350 per night rooms.

The art of irony is not dead.

Promoting Thailand as a destination for "quality" tourist is great but they do expect some quality in the services at the destination.

How many of these "quality" types enjoy being hustled by the baht bus mafia when visiting the beach resorts I wonder?

The only option in Phuket is to rent a car or be subjected to the devious tactics of the rude, disrespctfull, baht bus cheats.

People with money don't enjoy being cheated all day and driven around in the back of a truck.

Agreed?

Compared to the hustling and cheating going on in other developing countries, Thailand is surprisingly tame. Same for violent crime - try visiting a destination in South America. Or Italy :o

That said, it's certainly a problem the tourism authorities should take care of. I was flying Bangkok Air recently and that's an example of where Thailand can go - they have a very reasonably priced bus at the airport to bring you wherever you want to go - on all BKK Air airports. Also, high quality hotels will have a hotel shuttle service, so that won't be an issue for those either.

Money going to the elite only vs. high end tourism are not really connected issues. No one has figured out how to spread new incoming money evenly - there will always be some who benefit, some who don't, and some who benefit grossly - but that's not really for the TAT to tackle now, is it?

I do think some developments in Thailand are aiming too high - $500 spa resorts and so on. Maybe they are banking on a global trend towards higher-end destinations, I don't know? Then again, they can always lower the price (discount) and attract normal tourists.

I just spent a week in a fancy Hua Hin resort, paid just over $100 per day with advertised prices of $300+. The service there was so amazing that I thought I was in a $350/day place though, never seen that before. Considering that for $100 in the U.S. you get a Best Western with complimentary luke-warm Nescafe in the morning, it's an unbelievably good deal. To me it was fulfilling the enormous potential that's everywhere in Thailand - low wages and friendly attitude make this possible.

Money going to the elite only vs. high end tourism are not really connected issues. No one has figured out how to spread new incoming money evenly - there will always be some who benefit, some who don't, and some who benefit grossly - but that's not really for the TAT to tackle now, is it?

I do think some developments in Thailand are aiming too high - $500 spa resorts and so on. Maybe they are banking on a global trend towards higher-end destinations, I don't know? Then again, they can always lower the price (discount) and attract normal tourists.

I just spent a week in a fancy Hua Hin resort, paid just over $100 per day with advertised prices of $300+. The service there was so amazing that I thought I was in a $350/day place though, never seen that before. Considering that for $100 in the U.S. you get a Best Western with complimentary luke-warm Nescafe in the morning, it's an unbelievably good deal. To me it was fulfilling the enormous potential that's everywhere in Thailand - low wages and friendly attitude make this possible.

It seems to me like the TAT is getting involved in trying to make sure the money is not spread evenly. As it is now there is a pretty good mixture of every thing from 100 baht per night guest houses all the way up to $500 per night hotels. By concentrating on High end tourists they are trying to make sure the elite that own the $300 to $500 hotels get more than their fair share. Making a statement like "quality vs quantity" implies that they want to reduce the number of people that spend their money at low cost areas which support the poor and only have people that spend their money at expensive eateries, golf courses,etc. To sum up the TAT statement. Venues owned by and catering to the rich are their only concern. To me this is wrong from a moral stand point.

I agree that it would not be expensive to give a high end experience for a rather moderate amount at a hotel here and I am gladyouenjoyed the experience. maybe you can share the name of this hotel with us so we can enjoy it also.

Just 3 or 4 years ago the Thai gov. released a study showing that the back packers were better tourist for the Thai people:

Backpackers don't spend the amount of money that the rich tourist do, but they mostly travel through the poor parts of the country and hand their money to local Thais.

Rich tourists spend most of their money at their home travel agent, who arranges for tourist to stay at western owned hotels where almost none of the money stays in Thailand.

Now it looks like enough rich Thias have built expensive hotels that the gov is trying to help them out.

Tourism and Sports Minister determines to focus on quality tourism

Tourism and Sports Minister Suwit Yodmani reveals that he will continue to focus on quality tourism more than quantity tourism despite criticisms from some private agencies.

Mr. Suwit believes his strategy will be well-off in the long run and will also reduce tourism problems such as the deterioration of tourist destinations. However, he says the strategy would take time to achieve concrete results, and his ministry is laying down its framework systematically. He says the results may not be apparent during this administration.

Concerning the sustainable tourism strategy, Mr. Suwit says the ministry will support tourism in community areas in order to stimulate the economy. He says community members would learn and become a good host to foreign tourists, and they will generate revenues for their communities.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 02 May 2007

Mr. Suwit believes his strategy will be well-off in the long run and will also reduce tourism problems such as the deterioration of tourist destinations.
And how is that going to be achieved? OK lower numbers of high spenders means less load on the infrastructure but it also means all the small scale places going bust from lack of custom. How is that of benefit?
However, he says the strategy would take time to achieve concrete results, and his ministry is laying down its framework systematically. He says the results may not be apparent during this administration.

Translation : Nothing will change during this administration and when nothing changes during the next it's all down to their mismanagement.

Tourism and Sports Minister determines to focus on quality tourism

Tourism and Sports Minister Suwit Yodmani reveals that he will continue to focus on quality tourism more than quantity tourism despite criticisms from some private agencies.

Mr. Suwit believes his strategy will be for the well-off in the long run and will also reduce tourism problems such as the deterioration of tourist destinations by not having anyone visit them. However, he says the strategy would take time to achieve concrete results, and his ministry is laying down its framework systematically. He says the results may not be apparent during this administration because many of the 5 star hotels will not be completed by then .

Concerning the sustainable tourism strategy, Mr. Suwit says the ministry will support tourism in community areas in order to stimulate the economy. He says community members would learn to kowtow and say yessir master and become a good host slave to rich foreign tourists, and they will generate small amounts of revenues for their communities but more importantly fill the $350 and upper night hotel rooms that are now being built which will greatly expand the income gap in thailand.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 02 May 2007

The BKK Post had an intesting story in the first half of september last year with a lot of numbers and analyses. There conclusion was that the "High End" Tourist does not give a benefit to Thailand. They leave money but this money is only spread among a few people. Considering the problems with High End tourism (increasing prices for land for example) this seems like the few who rule this country fooling again the normal Thai people.

Eat the rich!

Thailand has every right to aim for better quality tourists.

It would be strange if the Thai government wouldn't!

I have the feeling Thailand has achieved a lot over the years.

Just look at the upgrading of Khao San Road. It's become more expensive to get a room there.

The guesthouses look much better and have better services. Even my old fooks loved it!

Ahhh yes, quality and money do go hand and hand.

I guess all those quality tourist I see at the Marriot screaming at the top of thier lungs to the frightend Thai girls are indeed quality. They did spend a lot of money they must be aces. :D

I would guess that poor young backpackers should look else where to start thier world escursions. None of them come back with fond memories and a larger bank account do they? :o

What's your point?

He is dead right on here and the point that I will back up is that the supposed quality tourists are the ones more likely to be a loud pain in the ass!!

I've been dealing with supposed high end tourists for many years, collecting and dropping off at hotel resorts around the country.

It's not at all unusual to see some red faced falang shouting at Thai staff in restraunts, bars, reception areas. And the level of language complexity of their idiotic hissy fits is beyond the comprehension of most of the staff.

Many times, I've heard shouting and balling about missed alarm calls, no pack out lunches, the wrong sandwiches, taxis overcharging, even though this is nothing to do with the hotel.

Many of these people have no class whatsoever as they are not rich, they are mearly middle middle class who come here because they feel rich. They couldn't stay in this class of hotel in Monaco, Rome, London, Dublin Barcelona etc. etc. Real rich people are usually understated and not prone to lording it over the staff.

I'm in close contact with travel industry sources in the UK and my clear understanding is that recent political events in Thailand have barely registered with the important British market.It's business as usual.Interestingly my sources tell me that Thailand's big tourist challenge is to halt the relentless down market drift which is now actively deterring the A/B segment (ie well off,well educated, upper and upper middle class).This is in line with current government policy.I think it will be difficult.Pattaya is already intolerable and Hua Hin is increasingly popular with the tattoed brigade.

My guess is that this is because the A/B folks read quality newspapers and take an interest in what is going on in the world rather than sit in front of the box watching 'reality' shows. (Not my reality, that's for sure.) They are aware of the Southern situation, bombs in BKK, the air quality, the military government and the necessity to walk on eggshells when what passes for the Police are around. They have the wherewithal to exercise choices and therefore look elsewhere. On the other hand the lower orders (for want of a phrase) read rags that display some mindless tart showing off their chest before they turn to the sports pages. Most couldn't point out Thailand on a map but they know what is available here in abundance. They are totally unaware of the current political, cultural and economic situation in LoS. To them Thailand is the new Benidorm.

The Brits, and others, have totally desecrated the Costas, Ibiza, Tenerife and Cyprus. I am on the side of the Thais who want to prevent Thailand undergoing a similar fate but cannot help feeling that they are trying to squeeze the pips out of visitors while giving little in return.

Edited by Bagwan

Can you be considered a High-End Tourist in the Immigration Police's statistics if you just tick a higher salary figure on the back of the TM card.

Just like when you read their statistics and find a higher number of WESTERNERS arrive by land than air. Could it be because they consider each "Visa Run" person a NEW Tourist, even including the "Evil Visa Exempt" people as they seem to brand them?

In the west, many people got rich by NOT spending money, while others spent all their money and ended up being poorer, but stimulated the economy with their money, so more people benefited.

As they say in the UK "Take care of the Pennies and the Pounds take care of themselves"