Urgent Help Needed, Re;motorcycle Accident

bl2

My friend's father was in a minor motorbike accident with major implications. His helmet came off before he hit the ground, and he hit his head hard on the pavement, causing severe head trauma. He has had 2 brain surgeries, and after 3 weeks has just started to come around, being barely lucid for short periods of time and now starting to eat solid food. He is presently at the Bangkok/Pattaya Hospital, in Pattaya, on Sukhumvit. Unfortunately he is not covered by insurance, and now that he is out of the danger zone, his son is looking to move him to somewhere more reasonably priced. He will need to be hospitalized for the next month, with therapy and someone to feed and monitor him, hopefully then to be taken to his residence in Pattaya, with full time/par-time home-care nursing. He does not speak any Thai, and his girlfriend/wife does not either, as she is a Filipino,having just moved here 3 months ago.She is of basically no help at this stage, thru no fault of her own.His son has to leave in two weeks or could lose his stateside job. He is now looking into the Queen Sirikit Naval Hospital. Can anyone enlighten us, as to who to see and where he can go, to first take care of his hospital needs, then secondly his home-care, addressing the fact that their will be the language barrier as well as budget constraints. All help, direction and suggestion would be appreciated.

Sirikit hospital will be cheeper but the level of English spoken there is not very high, Pattaya memorial hospital would also be cheeper and a much higher level of English spoken, just about anywhere will be cheeper than Bangkok Pattaya that place is just a rip off just check threads on this forum for personal experiances of being ripped off.

> Can anyone enlighten us, as to who to see and where he can go,

If I were in that situation I would think my home country might be the best place to get health care.

In America it is not cheap, you mention no insurance, riding a bike in Thailand without enough insurance is simply lunacy, but your friend and his father have now learnt that leason.

In Thailand the health care required will still cost money, however if funds are not forth coming the level of human compassion to meet the needs will not be there, treatment at "home" will be more sympathic.

Hope it works out for him.

Hope others learn the benifits of insurance.

Bl2, Sorry, but I can't really he;p you but I sincerely hope that you can find a good affordable solution to this problem. The Bangkok group of hospitals, while being reasonably good can also be extremely expensive for most kinds of care. I too was in a motorcycle accident a while ago on Samui and through personal choice chose Bangkok Samui for my care. Not cheap at over 100k/day in ICU but I'm still here to talk about it so they did something right.

Motorcycle riders, please get the best insurance cover you can afford - it certainly is worth it in the long run... especially here!

if funds are not forth coming the level of human compassion to meet the needs will not be there,

Very good point, A while ago I was taken to Bangkok pattaya with Pneumonia, I was that bad I realy thought this is it, I could not get my breath and cougthing and bringing up some real nasty stuff, I could not even speak, my wife was saying get him inside before he chokes to death but the nurses were having none of it till they saw my insurance card, there was not one smile from any of them, no compassion at all, I would have been left there to die no doubt at all of that, once they found that insurance card they went off to check it was valid, at this time I was close to passing out with the strain of constant cougthing, shortly after the nurse walked in with a beaming smile on her face then they were all over me, I was taken to my room and ended up staying there with smiling nurses and doctors for 6 days. my advice is get the best insurance you can afford, Thailand is not the place to be sick without it.

Edited by undercover