COVID-19 vaccine trials likely this year

rooster59

COVID-19 vaccine trials likely this year

Praphorn Praphornkul

1779b7f99160d5566367e484ef8d7bd5_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - With Thailand expected to begin human trials of its potential coronavirus vaccine this year, the Ministry of Public Health will seek the cabinet’s approval for a 3-billion-baht budget to support vaccine development and technology transfer in the country.

Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Minister, Anutin Charnvirakul, chaired a meeting this week to discuss COVID-19 vaccine development in Thailand. Representatives and researchers from the Department of Medical Sciences, the National Vaccine Institute (NVI), state agencies, universities and private companies participated in the meeting to exchange views and information on current research into a COVID-19 vaccine.

Mr. Anutin said the government is facilitating COVID-19 vaccine development in cooperation with many sectors. Recently, it approved a 1-billion-baht budget to support the NVI’s work and to instigate a technology transfer for the vaccine in the country. Furthermore, the Ministry of Public Health will seek the cabinet’s approval for a budget of 3 billion baht to support ongoing COVID-19 vaccine research and development.

The NVI Director, Dr. Nakorn Premsri, said there are two types of vaccines being developed to combat COVID-19. They are virus-like particle (VLP) vaccines, developed by the Faculty of Medicine of Siriraj Hospital, and subunit vaccines, developed by the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences of Chulalongkorn University. If both types of vaccine can be shown to stimulate the immune system of tested animals, the expertise and technology will be transferred to the Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO), so that the vaccines used in clinical trials meet the good manufacturing practice (GMP) requirements. The agency is also working with the National Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (BIOTEC) in developing a killed-vaccine by using genetically engineered severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS COV 2) and influenza viruses. If successful, they will be used to produce more vaccines. The results of the three vaccine developments should be known this year or at the beginning of 2021. The NVI will consider funds for other researchers, with support from the academic committee.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2020-09-12

1 minute ago, 2 is 1 said:

Yeah wondering who have made this vaccine!? Who going to be lab rat!

Feels more like a money grab to act like they are creating a vaccine by the Minister, when the medical people admit Thailand does not have the capability of people...

Complete waste of money. This work needs incredible experience, knowledge and resources. Even in advanced countries and huge medical companies, this is major work with no guarantee of success.

Save the money to buy the vaccines once available or a license to produce, like India. Though as Thailand has almost no capacity for the latter, that's questionable.

Edited by w94005m
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

How can you test the covid19 vaccine in a country with apparently no covid19 virus infections?

This is not about Thailand or it's people...this is about the Billions of $$$$ that the vaccine would be worth around the world.

That's months too late. Major studies in Europe are already in phase 3 now and possibly start mass production before the end of the year. If I have to leave next year when my visa runs out and I cannot extend from within the country then a trip to Europe is only logical. Get a shot there and have my vaccination book updated and then hopefully I'll be able to travel freely again soon after. I'm not gonna wait for this Thai vaccine and I hope for the Thai people's sake that the government will compliment their own production with that of other vaccines.

On 9/12/2020 at 9:51 PM, DLock said:

This is not about Thailand or it's people...this is about the Billions of $$$$ that the vaccine would be worth around the world.

They are already stating we will need multiple jabs of what will be a very expensive (and probably ineffective) vaccine, largely funded by governments, and then charged back to them! No trough to get your greedy snout into like the endless government trough. I heard $Trillions quoted as the real number, why buying off media, UN and governments is just a small investment on return.

Mandatory vaccines are coming for certain, just remains to be seen what country you are in, and how dangerous a version your government was fleeced for.