Social Bonds: Thais Love Only Themselves

Jai Dee

Social bonds :Thais love only themselves: Prawase

Social critic Prawase Wasi yesterday urged Thais to care for others and refrain from abusing power.

He said Thai society was structured vertically and lacked horizontal relationships so equality and a sense of sharing were absent, while the pressure on the lower classes would make them take revenge on society.

Vertical relationships allow those with power to dominate and cheat others and create a system of cronies where rumour is rife, he said.

"Although Thais are deeply religious, they only love themselves and not their neighbours," Prawase said.

Source: The Nation - 28 April 2007

Social critic Prawase Wasi yesterday urged Thais to care for others and refrain from abusing power.

He said Thai society was structured vertically and lacked horizontal relationships so equality and a sense of sharing were absent, while the pressure on the lower classes would make them take revenge on society.

Vertical relationships allow those with power to dominate and cheat others and create a system of cronies where rumour is rife, he said.

"Although Thais are deeply religious, they only love themselves and not their neighbours," Prawase said.

Maybe he's never been to the West ? :o

LaoPo

words that should be listened too ............................................................

LaoPo

Looks to me you come from the States.

In Europe, France, Italy ect.., people tend to care more for each other.

It still amazes me that in Thailand most people won't help when you get in an accident.

Thais are very loving and caring people when it comes to their own families, but don't care about the neighbours!

Sad but true!

If he's right, then let's just hope they take this revenge at the ballot box- and not the street. But either way- he seems to be saying... unless this little feudal outpost develops some compassion for the poor- there's going to be trouble. The same thing that the PM said last winter. The biggest threat to Thailand is the income gap.

Some will seek to bury their heads in the sand- seek to strengthen the military's hand- (and thus the elites)- (see Gen Sonthi's remarks in this morning's Post). They will seek to limit the power of government, to bolster the power of appointed judges- military courts- to create a genuinely authoritarian state- a throw back to the good old days- But for Prawase- the writing is on the wall.

If he's right, then let's just hope they take this revenge at the ballot box- and not the street. But either way- he seems to be saying... unless this little feudal outpost develops some compassion for the poor- there's going to be trouble. The same thing that the PM said last winter. The biggest threat to Thailand is the income gap.

Some will seek to bury their heads in the sand- seek to strengthen the military's hand- (and thus the elites)- (see Gen Sonthi's remarks in this morning's Post). They will seek to limit the power of government, to bolster the power of appointed judges- military courts- to create a genuinely authoritarian state- a throw back to the good old days- But for Prawase- the writing is on the wall.

The poor did go to the ballot box.....and elected the same man on three occasions in a row!!!! Why should the poor have much faith in the ballot box?

Strengthen the military's hand....what's to strengthen?...they threw out the democratically elected gov't and are now in control...seems like further strengthening their hand is mostly a theoretic concept as it seems strong enough already.

Create a genuine authoritarian state? Isn't that what we've got now?....can't get much more authoritarian than one General calling the shots....can it?

That is a bit of a sweeping negative statement with which to condemn an entire country's population. I can only hope it has been mistranslated or somehow taken out of context.

LaoPo

Looks to me like you have never, actually, lived in the US. I will stop here as this a thread about Thailand.

Maybe he's never been to the West ? :D

LaoPo

:o:D

made my weekend.. please do post some more jokes.

That is a bit of a sweeping negative statement with which to condemn an entire country's population. I can only hope it has been mistranslated or somehow taken out of context.

Its actually pretty accurate. I'm not sure how one becomes a "Social Critic," or how much it pays, but K. Prawase is usually not far from the mark.

In the context in which that quote was made, I think he was referring to social rather than interpersonal attitudes - essentially he seems to be saying that most Thais really don't care all that much about the suffering of fellow Thais. That Thai culture encourages them to either suck up or stomp down.

One of the criticisms levied at the Evangelical right wing in the states is that while they claim to take Jesus as their guide, the application of the edict to "love thy neighbor' doesn't seem to show up in their socio/political/economic attitudes. Prawase, was making, I think a similar criticism.

LaoPo

It still amazes me that in Thailand most people won't help when you get in an accident.

Thais are very loving and caring people when it comes to their own families, but don't care about the neighbours!

Sad but true!

No Sir, I'm not from the States; I consider myself a European or World citizen, being from Europe.

But I disagree completely with your sentence, above, that people in Europe, France, Italy etc. care more for each other (than people in the Far East).

You even wrote an answer on my topic here, where you also disagreed...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=117331&hl=

But, caring and caring (for each other) are two things and maybe Mr. Prawase is right about 'caring' for Thai neighbours as non-existing; I don't know but I suppose it's all over the world the same. You care for the ones you KNOW, including your close neighbour but it depends WHERE you live, rural or in a skyscraper in BKK...there's a big difference.

Cheers

LaoPo

LaoPo

Sad but true!

No Sir, I'm not from the States; I consider myself a European or World citizen, being from Europe.

But I disagree completely with your sentence, above, that people in Europe, France, Italy etc. care more for each other (than people in the Far East).

But, caring and caring (for each other) are two things and maybe Mr. Prawase is right about 'caring' for Thai neighbours as non-existing; I don't know but I suppose it's all over the world the same. You care for the ones you KNOW, including your close neighbour but it depends WHERE you live, rural or in a skyscraper in BKK...there's a big difference.

Cheers

LaoPo

Maybe I'm missing the context here- but usually when the term 'caring' is used in a social context- it means a willingness of the population to sacrifice for the less fortunate in society- and neighbors means all the people in the nation. In a mass society this is usually accomplished through social programs and legislation rigorously enforced to prevent abusive exploitation and to equalize the playing field a bit.

Edited by blaze

So we are back to the old Thai society as a series of vertical "patron-client" relationships. There is certainly some social structural truth to Thai society being vertically arranged with very little opportunity for equality, starting with the phii/noong relationship beginning at birth even for twins.

Whether this social structure actually hinders the ability of Thais to love their neighbors is a matter for the newest generation of the post-modern social anthropologists to argue ad nauseum. But no doubt, especially amongst the Bangkok elite, Thailand is a major "kite flying" self-absorbed society only capable of asking one single question regardless of the issue at hand: "What's in it for me?"

I wonder how much of this has to do with the breakdown of the community that happens in every big city? Where I live it is common for people to pitch in and help. After all, these are your neighbors, friends and relatives; people that most local residents have known their entire lives. Caring and caring for is part and parcel of living in a small community, IMO.

Go to any big city in the world and it is very much the individual oriented "me, me, me" that you see in Bangkok, or New York, or London etc etc. Life in a city is anonymous, which pretty much eliminates the feeling of caring that life in a small village can offer.

LaoPo

Sad but true!

Cheers

LaoPo

That's the beauty of a forum. People disagree and discuss matters.

If we would all agree with each other, this would be a boring website!

And yes I do believe that Europe has a more caring and social society.

In countries like France, Italy, Belgium, Holland, Sweden, people pay up to 50% tax and have a welfare society.

Everyone has a medical insurance. When your in an accident you don't have to flee the scene. When you're unemployed, you still have enough money to pay your bills, etc..

It's this luxury position of the wealthy countries that enables people to care more about each other.

Money is less an issue when it comes to social interaction.

Social security enables Europeans to be more social and less egocentric!

I can't judge about the States, but it seems to be more a 'you-first'- society.

I know that this sounds very harsh, but think about it. I might have a point here.

Thais only love themselves, Negroes are unintelligent, Jews are cheap, gays are immoral, short men have short p_____. Stereotypes are wonderful aren't they! Black and white labelling shows the close-mindedness of the thinker.

Thais only love themselves, Negroes are unintelligent, Jews are cheap, gays are immoral, short men have short p_____. Stereotypes are wonderful aren't they! Black and white labelling shows the close-mindedness of the thinker.

I couldnt agree more, which is why I hope the quote was a bad translation or taken out of context.

Yes, exactly how is this any different than any Western country? I came to live in Thailand because it doesn't bother me what they do it bothers me what my country does.

As always we have posters saying that everything here is the same as in the West.

It's not, we do have different cultures. Even in the West we have different cultures and social interaction!

Is everything Thai bad? I doubt it. But is everything Thai good, no it isn't.

This isn't the promised land.

And by labelling things either black or white, we, per definition, don't have to be be dumb.

Sometimes things are black or white. It's up to you to decide what is good or bad!

But on topic: Do Thais, in general, care about their neighbours? Do Thais, in general, treat each other with respect?

I think you had to read the post before mine to understand what I was saying. As far as Thailand goes it is the promise land for me but that is my experience and I don't expect you to understand. I have never had a problem with Thai people not even a nasty look (and yes I drive a car) however I seem to find it impossible to get a nod from most westerners. I don't care really I'm just saying it is my experience. Do Thais care about their neighbors? I think so mine buy me produce and bring flowers on a regular basis just because they are kind people. In the USA someone would only visit me to say I was parked in the wrong spot and I better move or they would call the police. As I said this is my experience that does not make it "the truth" so please don't jump down my throat for answering the question.