Thai History

snoophound

Also as a passing interest am interested in what kids in thai schools are taught about history.

I asked my lady who said they do learn but she cant tell me what!

Most Thai history taught in Thai schools concentrates on the past Thai monarchies.

King Rama IV is the most highly respected king, one reason was because he decreed an end to slavery in Thailand. The fact that Thailand was never colonised by an invading foreign power is also emphasised in schools. The Japanese occupied Thailand but never took it over.

Also as a passing interest am interested in what kids in thai schools are taught about history.

I asked my lady who said they do learn but she cant tell me what!

Most Thai history taught in Thai schools concentrates on the past Thai monarchies.

King Rama IV is the most highly respected king, one reason was because he decreed an end to slavery in Thailand. The fact that Thailand was never colonised by an invading foreign power is also emphasised in schools. The Japanese occupied Thailand but never took it over.

I would say that Rama 5 was the most popular King, almost like a cult. It was he that abolished slavery as well.

You can get a couple of good history books covering the whole region which includes the (what were ) ever moving borders of Kyhmer, Mon, Burmese borders.

Rama 4 , known as King Mongut, was the one portrayed by Yul Brynner in "The King & I", which film is still banned here. There is no way a Thai monarch would touch a western woman in public, never mind dance with her.

King Mongut was a monk for most of his life as his elder half-brother was King. But Rama 3 didn't have a son by a royal Queen, (although he had 22 sons and 29 daughters) so Rama 4 came to the throne.

Rama 4 was very learned and spoke many languages includiing French English and Latin! He had 39 sons and 43 daughters, one of whom became Rama 5 or Chulalongkorn. He had 32 sons and 44 daughters 2 of whom became Kings, Rama 6 & 7. When Rama 7 abdicated his younger brother was next in line, the Prince of Songla, another son of Rama 5. But he had died so his sons were next. Rama 8 became King as a child but died "mysteriously" of a gun wound in The Grand Palace and so his younger brother Rama 9 became King and still is 57 years later.

'Thailand, A Short History' by David K. Wyatt ISBN 0-300-03582-9

The Wyatt book is definitely the best starting place. A good introduction to the larger region is Charles Keyes' Golden Peninsula. And then for a real academic trudge try The Indianized states of Southeast Asia by George Cœdès.

Thai schools usually teach a somewhat mythological historical timeline of a straight line migration of Tai people starting at Chiang Saen, blossoming in Sukhotai, and ending in Bangkok. These histories are usually interlaced with hagiographies of the Thai Kings in all their mythological splendor. Yet even these histories have plenty of stories of fratricide, patricide and all the other good natured killings that seem to permeate Royal Court histories around the world.

Yet even these histories have plenty of stories of fratricide, patricide and all the other good natured killings that seem to permeate Royal Court histories around the world.
Rama 8 became King as a child but died "mysteriously" of a gun wound in The Grand Palace and so his younger brother Rama 9 became King and still is 57 years later.

His death on June 9,1946 was considerd both regicide and deicide!

Having been a deity,I'm not sure if it could also be classified as homicide! :D

In the end of a long case,the two pages Butr and Nai Chit,and the former personal secretary Chaleo were found guilty and executed.

Both Butr and Chaleo had first been acquitted of any wrong-doing or any involvement in the death by the court. :o

But after Nai Chit had been found guilty,he appealed against his conviction while the prosecution simultaneously appealed against the acquittal of the other two.

The court later completely ignored Nai Chit's appeal;and also the common doctrine of "autrefois acquit" so that they then could find Butr guilty too! :D

Later,the Supreme Court,the Dakka,also found Chaleo guilty..

After six years in prison and many changes back and forth,all three minions had

finally been found guilty in the case and then got executed! :D

Snowleopard.

Can anyone recommend a good book on the history of Thailand?

English Language.

Somebody mentioned to me a Thai Almanac was coming out?

I am interested in a general history from how thailand came into being until the present.

From Siam to Thailand, Backdrop to the Land of Smiles by Jorges Orgibet ( 1982 )provides an interesting insight into modern aspects of the country. The Siam Society has a lot of useful historical information.

Duncan Stearn seems to have a pretty good handle on Thai history. He writes in several publications and has his email published for anyone to contact him and have a talk or ask questions.

Let me know if you are interested in talking to him.

Duncan Stearn seems to have a pretty good handle on Thai history. He writes in several publications and has his email published for anyone to contact him and have a talk or ask questions.

Let me know if you are interested in talking to him.

Where is Duncan located Oz ?